trendy fixies in NYT

On Apr 30, 6:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>
> > Every so often, someone writes an article about how
> > the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
> > RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
> > young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
> > we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
> > kids turn that crazy music down!"

> > I ride a fixed gear with two brakes because I (1) am an
> > old fart, (2) like the hoods hand position, and (3) am so
> > outrageously powerful that I regularly accelerate to
> > massive speeds where stopping with just backpressure
> > is awkward. That said, I understand from this article
> > that some twentysomethings are engaging in a pursuit of
> > looking fashionable at the risk of being imprudent. I'm
> > shocked, shocked to hear that gambling with their safety
> > is going on here!

> I have a difficult time seeing no-brakes fixed gear riding as being
> categorically worse than, say, skateboarding or rollerblading.

Really? Whatcha smokin? Riding without brakes is an affectation, like
saggy britches. Bikes have natural provisions for brakes, ya know,
like drilled holes in the fork crown. If your bicycle lacks that, and
has no coaster brake, then it's a track bike--please find a track to
ride it on then. Bikes are legally a part of traffic in most
jurisdictions, boards and skates aren't, so as a legal part of traffic
ya gotta follow the law and have brakes, and of course lighting at
night and all those awful burdens. Thing is, you can still ride proper
tough within the limits of the law.. FWIW, you can put a front brake
on your bike and not use it most of the time and just save it for "oh
****" moments". That's the ridiculousness of the whole thing--nobody's
keeping you from fixie stops, you can still ride brakeless, but if you
need one, it's there.

And what's the difference between bikes, boards and skates? Bikes with
a normal fixed gear can easily cruise at 25mph--and bikes are expected
to act as part of traffic, but without a brake, it's nearly impossible
to be a responsible traficant. I'm not against boards and skates, but
it is difficult to integrate such into serious traffic.

Oh, and think I"m kidding about the brake thing, I'll bring up the
occasion that made me quit messengering--a guy on Michigan Ave in
Chicago couldn't stop his fixie for a red light, and got two compound
broken femurs. Nasty. I got to see it right as the EMT got there. Too
bad he didn't have a light and cheap 'oh ****' brake.

There are ways to break the road law which aren't by any means
dangerous. Have fun. Enjoy fixies and riding, but don't cut your life
short just to be hip. I'm not asking anyone to wear a helmet, just to
have the tools to avoid the collision in the first place.

On Apr 30, 10:13 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 6:00 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 30, 5:04 pm, "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > Yet another style trend: the white Rasta. I guess growing up in the suburbs
> > > makes one yearn for a more exotic culture. -- Jay Beattie.

> > That's been going on for years--and in my experience, the vast
> > majority of kids that adopted the style, were suburban looking for
> > "cred". Problem is that *most* pale folks hair doesn't naturally
> > dread, so you have to use waxes and pomades, which seals the dreads,
> > and provides a nice nesting place for parasites. I remember an entire
> > colony of these folks on the west coast having to clipper their heads
> > because of an infestation. Gaaaak and bluuurg. People of black African
> > origin can usually dread their hair with no such troubles, as it
> > remains porous and may be shampooed gently.

> > I hear that if you dress like an Episcopalian

> Does this require a cross bike? ;-)
>
> >and smoke weed, you're
> > *much* less likely to get busted anyway. ;-)-

[double boinger joke goes here]

landotter wrote:
> On Apr 30, 6:25 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ben wrote:
>>
>>> Every so often, someone writes an article about how
>>> the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
>>> RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
>>> young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
>>> we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
>>> kids turn that crazy music down!"
>>> I ride a fixed gear with two brakes because I (1) am an
>>> old fart, (2) like the hoods hand position, and (3) am so
>>> outrageously powerful that I regularly accelerate to
>>> massive speeds where stopping with just backpressure
>>> is awkward. That said, I understand from this article
>>> that some twentysomethings are engaging in a pursuit of
>>> looking fashionable at the risk of being imprudent. I'm
>>> shocked, shocked to hear that gambling with their safety
>>> is going on here!

>> I have a difficult time seeing no-brakes fixed gear riding as being
>> categorically worse than, say, skateboarding or rollerblading.

> Really? Whatcha smokin? Riding without brakes is an affectation, like
> saggy britches. Bikes have natural provisions for brakes, ya know,
> like drilled holes in the fork crown. If your bicycle lacks that, and
> has no coaster brake, then it's a track bike--please find a track to
> ride it on then. Bikes are legally a part of traffic in most
> jurisdictions, boards and skates aren't, so as a legal part of traffic
> ya gotta follow the law and have brakes, and of course lighting at
> night and all those awful burdens. Thing is, you can still ride proper
> tough within the limits of the law.. FWIW, you can put a front brake
> on your bike and not use it most of the time and just save it for "oh
> ****" moments". That's the ridiculousness of the whole thing--nobody's
> keeping you from fixie stops, you can still ride brakeless, but if you
> need one, it's there.
>
> And what's the difference between bikes, boards and skates? Bikes with
> a normal fixed gear can easily cruise at 25mph--and bikes are expected
> to act as part of traffic, but without a brake, it's nearly impossible
> to be a responsible traficant. I'm not against boards and skates, but
> it is difficult to integrate such into serious traffic.
>
> Oh, and think I"m kidding about the brake thing, I'll bring up the
> occasion that made me quit messengering--a guy on Michigan Ave in
> Chicago couldn't stop his fixie for a red light, and got two compound
> broken femurs. Nasty. I got to see it right as the EMT got there. Too
> bad he didn't have a light and cheap 'oh ****' brake.
>
> There are ways to break the road law which aren't by any means
> dangerous. Have fun. Enjoy fixies and riding, but don't cut your life
> short just to be hip. I'm not asking anyone to wear a helmet, just to
> have the tools to avoid the collision in the first place.

well said.

when i was a yoof, i rode track, and used to ride my fixie to and from
meets. and keep some sanity by having a brake on the machine, "just in
case" - not that pride would ever allow me to actually use it. but it
was the simplest thing to arrive legally and safely, un-tape the bar,
unbolt the brake and lever, re-tape the bar and go race.

of course, some had undrilled forks, but they used to drive to the
track, not ride. and more often than not, they wouldn't win - not for
any other reason than those of us who rode were fully warmed up from the
commute, and the drivers had to urgently flagellate themselves on the
practice laps and would either under or over-do it as they tried to get
ready in just a few minutes.

have a brake, get the miles in, and live to bore your descendants with
repetition of the stories of accidents others had and races you won.
especially if you still have evidence collecting dust in the garage.

hadn't
> > been

back,

starred
> > in

Miyata

for
> > $25

> > > Landotter: did you get him to sell you the Miyata?

> > I thought about it but the frame geometry was way too squirrelly -

50cm
> > c-c seat tube, 56cm c-c toptube with a 70° headtube angle with a 75°

seat
> > tube and about a 38mm to 44mm fork rake.
> >
> > Chas.

> D'oh, apologies for the misattribution. That's an oddly oversquare
> frame. It wasn't meant for a 650c front wheel (funny-bike configuration)
> or something like that, was it?
>
> So if I'm reading this right, relatively steep seat tube, relatively
> slack steer tube...probably part of the standard thinking of tri-bikes
> being for going in a straight line, right?
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/

It was a Miyata 612 model marketed for tri-athalon riders. I think it may
have come standard with the heavy Scott bolt on aerobars. It was a poor
attempt to get wheel and pedal clearance for 700c wheels on a small frame.
It handled like a wheelbarrow and threw a lot of the riders weight on the
front wheel.

The larger frame sizes of that model that I've seen pictures of seemed to
have more conventional frame geometry.

Chas.

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 8:48 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> As I occasionally shout out during races, "sometimes the Yellow Line
>> Rule is self-enforcing!"

> Every so often, someone writes an article about how
> the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
> RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
> young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
> we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
> kids turn that crazy music down!"

Pffft, brakeless singlespeed is the new hotness anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
You have all the characteristics of a popular politician: a horrible voice,

Dane Buson wrote:

> Pffft, brakeless singlespeed is the new hotness anyway.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg

That gives new significance to the term "brake shoes". Eek.

I think bikes with newsboy baskets are the new urban chic. But I also
predict that the fixie fad will give rise to a subsequent coaster
brake road bike fad before it moves to the back of the line.

Chalo

Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
>>
>> Pffft, brakeless singlespeed is the new hotness anyway.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg

> That gives new significance to the term "brake shoes". Eek.

Every time you think "That's the stupidest idea ever", generally
something stupider will be along in about 15 minutes.

> I think bikes with newsboy baskets are the new urban chic. But I also
> predict that the fixie fad will give rise to a subsequent coaster
> brake road bike fad before it moves to the back of the line.

Heh, the CETMA racks are getting a lot of buzz in places I've seen.
It's only a short hop from those to the newsboy...

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
As some day it may happen that a victim must be found

On 2007-05-03, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dane Buson wrote:
>>>
>>> Pffft, brakeless singlespeed is the new hotness anyway.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg

>> That gives new significance to the term "brake shoes". Eek.

> Every time you think "That's the stupidest idea ever", generally
> something stupider will be along in about 15 minutes.

Not even that long. Only a minute or so into the video, we see the rider
riding between lanes and against traffic -- with only his shoe for
brakes, of course. We'll see how long he stays in the gene pool.

--

John ([email protected])

"John Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-05-03, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> That gives new significance to the term "brake shoes". Eek.

>> Every time you think "That's the stupidest idea ever", generally
>> something stupider will be along in about 15 minutes.

> Not even that long. Only a minute or so into the video, we see the rider
> riding between lanes and against traffic -- with only his shoe for
> brakes, of course. We'll see how long he stays in the gene pool.
>
> --
>
> John ([email protected])

Headline to read:
Ted Shred Dead