I am planning to take part in some triathlons next year and currently only have a BMC SLT01 road bike (which I am very fond of). Does anyone have any opinion on whether this frame will lend itself to triathlons with the simple addition of the tri-bars and relocation forward of the seat? Or is the frame geometry all wrong for this?
I am planning to take part in some triathlons next year and currently only have a BMC SLT01 road bike (which I am very fond of). Does anyone have any opinion on whether this frame will lend itself to triathlons with the simple addition of the tri-bars and relocation forward of the seat? Or is the frame geometry all wrong for this?
Any advice would be appreciated-
Pushing your seat forward on a good fitting road frame puts you knee way forward of the BB. It does allow you to reach the tribars but steeper than 'standard' seat tubes is required on 'tri' and TT frames to keep your knee in the proper place and still be able to reach tri/TT hbars. Perhaps shorty, sprint, drafting type tribars that don't extend much farther than the ends of the shifters will work for you. 'Aero' position, w/o comfort, will make you slower, not faster.
Pushing your seat forward on a good fitting road frame puts you knee way forward of the BB. It does allow you to reach the tribars but steeper than 'standard' seat tubes is required on 'tri' and TT frames to keep your knee in the proper place and still be able to reach tri/TT hbars. Perhaps shorty, sprint, drafting type tribars that don't extend much farther than the ends of the shifters will work for you. 'Aero' position, w/o comfort, will make you slower, not faster.
Thanks- good advice (from both posts). I read an article that said the proper fit on a tri setup shows the results in the run more than the actual ride- with some arguments that up to 5 minutes can be shaved off an ironman run with a proper fit, due to the breathing benefits while cycling with the correct fit. I am looking at a set of tri bars that are pretty short (no shifters) that do not extend much past the shifter hoods, so will give them closer attention.
Thanks- good advice (from both posts). I read an article that said the proper fit on a tri setup shows the results in the run more than the actual ride- with some arguments that up to 5 minutes can be shaved off an ironman run with a proper fit, due to the breathing benefits while cycling with the correct fit. I am looking at a set of tri bars that are pretty short (no shifters) that do not extend much past the shifter hoods, so will give them closer attention.
Appreciate the help-
My experience shows that a good fit also has a huge impact on the run because of the use of certain muscles when riding and then trying to run. Hamstrings or quads or something(reformed runner, haven't run unless chased since 1985).