Tri-Bike Setup

iw6110

Guest
I've ridden a road bike set up with a forward seatpost, aerobars, a drop
handlebar and STI style brake and shift levers for years. Spent most of my
time either on the brake hoods (for quick and easy shifting on up and down
roads) or down in the aerobars (pushing the big ring on less technical
roads). This setup works ok but I always feel like I'm being thrown too far
forward. Lately, I've been riding a triathlon specific bike and really like
the geometry. I've found the forward position I've wanted and don't feel
like I'm hanging off the front of the bike. It's set up with a profile
airwing, aerobars and bar-end shifters. I'm not crazy about the bar-end
shifters. Has anyone experimented with STI style levers on this type of
bike? How about drop handlebars? Kinda crazy, I know - morphing a tri-bike
into a road set up, but it would seem to suit my style of shifting better.

The bar end shifter should be the optimum set-up. Sti might be best if the
course were very technical. Many people do use drop bars and sti on a tri
bike.

My personal advice would be for you to stick with bar end and get
comfortable with them.
You need to do what you are comfortable with.

ken
"iw6110" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've ridden a road bike set up with a forward seatpost, aerobars, a drop
> handlebar and STI style brake and shift levers for years. Spent most of
> my time either on the brake hoods (for quick and easy shifting on up and
> down roads) or down in the aerobars (pushing the big ring on less
> technical roads). This setup works ok but I always feel like I'm being
> thrown too far forward. Lately, I've been riding a triathlon specific
> bike and really like the geometry. I've found the forward position I've
> wanted and don't feel like I'm hanging off the front of the bike. It's
> set up with a profile airwing, aerobars and bar-end shifters. I'm not
> crazy about the bar-end shifters. Has anyone experimented with STI style
> levers on this type of bike? How about drop handlebars? Kinda crazy, I
> know - morphing a tri-bike into a road set up, but it would seem to suit
> my style of shifting better.

Setting up your bike for optimal aero position and staying on the
aerobars is worth a LOT of extra speed. For some athletes it can be
worth 2-3mph. I ride the aerobars for 99% of the bike leg and it pays
off.

http://www.tri-ecoach.com
Steve

I currently have a decent road bike, but am becoming increasingly
interested in pursuing triathlons more seriously. I'd like to compete
in a 70.3 sometime later this summer or early next year. I've been
reading more and more about the functional differences between road
bike setup vs. tri set-ups on a road bike vs. tri bikes.

I'm thinking that the best and most cost-effective move may be to set
up my road bike with aero bars, and the accompanying base bar, brake
levers, and bar end shifters.

My first question is: am I right in thinking that I should set up my
road bike this way? My next question is whether this is what I should
be investing in at this point, or whether there's something else I
should look into purchasing first (nicer componentry for the bike,
training rollers, etc.). Finally, does anyone have a recommendation on
the best way to set this whole thing up?

Thank you!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I currently have a decent road bike, but am becoming increasingly
> interested in pursuing triathlons more seriously. I'd like to compete
> in a 70.3 sometime later this summer or early next year. I've been
> reading more and more about the functional differences between road
> bike setup vs. tri set-ups on a road bike vs. tri bikes.
>
> I'm thinking that the best and most cost-effective move may be to set
> up my road bike with aero bars, and the accompanying base bar, brake
> levers, and bar end shifters.
>
> My first question is: am I right in thinking that I should set up my
> road bike this way? My next question is whether this is what I should
> be investing in at this point, or whether there's something else I
> should look into purchasing first (nicer componentry for the bike,
> training rollers, etc.). Finally, does anyone have a recommendation on
> the best way to set this whole thing up?
>
> Thank you!

Try this for starters :
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

Hours have been dedicated on this group on tri bike verses road bike. I
personally like the road bike set up with tri bars, forward seat post etc.
I have been criticized for this set up but it works for me and feels right.
I have competed in 6 IM races and been 3rd once, 2nd 3 times and 1st twice
including IMH. I have managed to set 20 or more course records in my age
group. So the road bike has put me on the podium on each IM event as well
as dozens of others. Perhaps I could have done better with another set-up.
I will never know. Biking is my strength, swimming is slow and running my
weakest point compared to others in my age group.

If you can use a Tri bike set-up give it a try over familiar roads. Compare
your times and comfort level and go with what works.

Ken @Kauai

..