Tri bikes good for bad backs??

kaisersling

Aug 2, 2004
I am in the process of buying a new bike. I also have chronic upper and lower back pain that unfortunately I will deal with forever. I probably average between 20-30 mile rides 2 to 3 times a week as time allows. Would a tri bike be easier on my back for those distances. I am not looking for all out racing performance(as I dont race).The group i ride with are probably b+ level riders.Just looking to ease the pain.

kaisersling said:
I am in the process of buying a new bike. I also have chronic upper and lower back pain that unfortunately I will deal with forever. I probably average between 20-30 mile rides 2 to 3 times a week as time allows. Would a tri bike be easier on my back for those distances. I am not looking for all out racing performance(as I dont race).The group i ride with are probably b+ level riders.Just looking to ease the pain.
Unless you feel you're running out of gears (have trouble maintaining cadence) I don't think tri will do much for your back either way. For that issue you shold probably try finding another riding position, or rather several that you can switch between. Maybe consider a recumbent?

For a chronic back pain you might need to try go against the general guidelines regarding positioning to find something that works for you.