Tri-Bikes?

Jim

Guest
After much research I bought a Roo Kilo tri-bike 2 weeks ago from a well established bike shop near
my home. I rode it 3 miles before the derailer completely fell apart. I took the bike back and the
salespeople there told me they had seen the same problem on other tri-bikes. Apparently the need to
make components lighter has also made them weaker. So what's my next step? What kind of bike should
I look at since I need to purchase one ASAP. Thanks.

-Jim-

>I rode it 3 miles before the derailer completely fell apart. I took the bike back and the
>salespeople there told me they had seen the same problem on other tri-bikes.

This makes no sense. What does the bike, or the weight, have to do with the "derailer" falling
apart?! I have had numerous Tri bikes and road bikes and never had any such problem. there is
nothing wrong with a Kilo, but it does sound like something is wrong with the shop. Good Luck! David
Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

On 4/16/03 2:28 PM, in article, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:

> After much research I bought a Roo Kilo tri-bike 2 weeks ago from a well established bike shop
> near my home. I rode it 3 miles before the derailer completely fell apart. I took the bike back
> and the salespeople there told me they had seen the same problem on other tri-bikes. Apparently
> the need to make components lighter has also made them weaker. So what's my next step? What kind
> of bike should I look at since I need to purchase one ASAP. Thanks.
>
> -Jim-

Jim,

Assuming it was a 2003 model, the derailleurs on this bike are (were) a Shimano 105 in the rear and
Shimano Tiagra in front (you didn't say which fell apart). While these are at the lower end of
Shimano's offerings, they are the same components sold on tons of bike models by dozens of
manufacturers (triathlon, road, and otherwise).

There is absolutely nothing about these parts that are unique to a triathlon bike and no reason why
they shouldn't perform fine for (at least) several thousand miles regardless of what kind of frame
(triathlon, road, whatever) they're attached to.

I agree with David, the problem here is with the bike shop. They either screwed up the assembly of
the bike somehow and wanted to blame the parts, or installed defective parts. Either way they're
dishonest and aren't leveling with you about the issue.

You said you did a lot of research and determined the Kilo is the bike for you. So, I'd buy another
Kilo - from another shop. (note that QR didn't make the parts that failed).

John

PS: One other possibility is that you're a gorilla and shredded the derailleurs with your immense
strength - but that's a long shot.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim wrote:

> After much research I bought a Roo Kilo tri-bike 2 weeks ago from a well established bike shop
> near my home. I rode it 3 miles before the derailer completely fell apart. I took the bike back
> and the salespeople there told me they had seen the same problem on other tri-bikes. Apparently
> the need to make components lighter has also made them weaker. So what's my next step? What kind
> of bike should I look at since I need to purchase one ASAP. Thanks.

A few more things to consider:

You may have simply gotten a bad rear derailleur - it happens.

You may need to learn how to shift better. Derailleurs work better/longer if you lighten up on the
pedalling pressure while you shift.

Of course it's possible the bike shop screwed up but it's hard to imagine how - they usually don't
do much with the derailleur. Tiagra/105 is good, durable stuff.

-S-

Hi, Did th derailer pull out of the rear drop out or did the derailer fail? I have heard some
complaints about weak and flexy material in a couple bikes out there bikes because of manufacturers
attempts to keep weight down. If it pulled out of the drop out, I would never but that bike again. I
would focus on something more solid in that price range like a cervelo one or fuji aloha. If it did
fall apart you probably just recieved a faulty derailer. Good luck Mike

> After much research I bought a Roo Kilo tri-bike 2 weeks ago from a well established bike shop
> near my home. I rode it 3 miles before the derailer completely fell apart. I took the bike back
> and the salespeople there told me they had seen the same problem on other tri-bikes.

That sounds incredible. What exactly do you mean by the derailer 'completely fell apart" ? One
response suggested the derailer is a Shimano
105. If that's the case I can't picture how it would fall apart, especially after only 3 miles. Not
saying it didn't happen, just curious for more details.