Tri results

Dgallagher2554

Guest
Hi Gang, I tend to read your posts daily and am encouraged and learning from everyone else's
experiences. I just thought I would add to the "madness" and share my latest experience.

I'm new to the sport of triathlon this summer. Previously had run some 5K races. So with the newness
came an intense nervousness with the open water swim. I joined up with a group of people and took a
clinic through a local running store. Our coach, a veritable ball of energy, has done several short
distance tris and completed a Half-IM this summer. She certainly kept us all in our paces and got us
through our first tris at the end of June. I, along with many others, did a Super-Sprint distance
(375m, 10K, 5K). And while expecting to complete the race in 60-75 minutes (I really had no clue), I
completed it with a 54:37.

Well, I continued my training throughout the summer - increased my swim workouts, continued training
on a mountain bike until I got my road bike the beginning of August and worked hard on the runs. I
completed my second Super Sprint last weekend with great results - An awesome 47:57. Although my
swim was slower - got stuck in the middle of the pack with nowhere to move - I kicked ass on the
bike (guess the hard riding with the mountain bike paid off) and had a great run.

My training continues over the winter with hopes of doing a Sprint distance at the beginning of the
summer and an Olympic at the end. All I need to do is get the swim down. Thanks for all the great
advice and laughs I've received from the posts here. Trish G.

Keep up the good work!

dgallagher2554 wrote:

> Hi Gang, I tend to read your posts daily and am encouraged and learning from everyone else's
> experiences. I just thought I would add to the "madness" and share my latest experience.
>
> I'm new to the sport of triathlon this summer. Previously had run some 5K races. So with the
> newness came an intense nervousness with the open water swim. I joined up with a group of people
> and took a clinic through a local running store. Our coach, a veritable ball of energy, has done
> several short distance tris and completed a Half-IM this summer. She certainly kept us all in our
> paces and got us through our first tris at the end of June. I, along with many others, did a
> Super-Sprint distance (375m, 10K, 5K). And while expecting to complete the race in 60-75 minutes
> (I really had no clue), I completed it with a 54:37.
>
> Well, I continued my training throughout the summer - increased my swim workouts, continued
> training on a mountain bike until I got my road bike the beginning of August and worked hard on
> the runs. I completed my second Super Sprint last weekend with great results - An awesome 47:57.
> Although my swim was slower - got stuck in the middle of the pack with nowhere to move - I kicked
> ass on the bike (guess the hard riding with the mountain bike paid off) and had a great run.
>
> My training continues over the winter with hopes of doing a Sprint distance at the beginning of
> the summer and an Olympic at the end. All I need to do is get the swim down. Thanks for all the
> great advice and laughs I've received from the posts here. Trish G.

great to hear you're addicted. i did exactly the same thing-- my first tri in Jan this year and now triathlon is all i think about. it's kinda scary and weird and a little obsessive, but i just can't get bored with it.

just be careful about overtraining. if you step up the volume too early and train without much knowledge (like i have) you'll be prone to injuries. good on you for having a coach-- im a student and can't really afford coaching or joining a club, but im working things out and training smarter. good luck and have fun!

PS: you've earnt your smug look when you realise that you can swim faster than men bigger than you at the pool. im only a small-framed 162cm Asian girl, but ive scared away guys swimming in my lane... but that wasn't good when a 20-ish good-looking guy left :( oh well i bet you're having fun anyway! :)

su22 wrote:
> good on you for having a coach-- im a student and can't really afford coaching or joining a club

Does your school have a tri club? How about making one of your own, and hiring a coach
through the club?