Tri-shorts

Bob

Guest
Not strictly cycling I know, but I'm assuming that there might be one
or two people here that do triathlons? I'm planning on doing a few
later this year, but there are no shops locally that sell triathlon
gear, so I'm going to have to order online.

I'm also assuming that since you've got to swim and run in the same
clothes that there isn't the same level of padding in the groin as
traditional cycling shorts?

I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do
the running bit. Has anyone tried to do a triathlon in proper cycling
shorts? If so how did you get on?

Can anyone recommend a decent brand, or are they all much of a
muchness...?

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Bob wrote:

> I'm also assuming that since you've got to swim and run in the same
> clothes

You don't /have/ to AFAICT. It depends how competitive you want to be
about it, and if you want to spend x precious seconds pulling on cycle
shorts and a shirt at the changeover. It shouldn't add that much time
if you pull on cycle shorts over trunks before you put your shoes on,
and assuming you're running in different shoes it won't be too long to
whip off the shorts before you change to running shoes. Some
triathletes do the lot in Speedos, so I doubt that running in trunks
will have too much effect.

Caveat here is I've only ever done a couple of short "fun" events years
ago, so if you really do have to wear the same thing the whole way it
would have flown straight by me.

> I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do
> the running bit.

It's numb thighs you'll have to worry about. I got off the bike feeling
pretty pleased with my performance (from last out of the pool to quite a
few places better), only to find my legs didn't do the so-called
"running" thing I was meant to be at for the nest 4.5 miles...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:56:16 +0000, Bob wrote:

> Not strictly cycling I know, but I'm assuming that there might be one
> or two people here that do triathlons? I'm planning on doing a few
> later this year, but there are no shops locally that sell triathlon
> gear, so I'm going to have to order online.

I don't think you'll have much problem - they're exactly as you think -
lycra shorts with a small pad. I use the long legged ones, rather than the
swimming trunk shaped ones.

> I'm also assuming that since you've got to swim and run in the same
> clothes that there isn't the same level of padding in the groin as
> traditional cycling shorts?

Yup.

> I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do the
> running bit. Has anyone tried to do a triathlon in proper cycling
> shorts? If so how did you get on?

I *really* wouldn't try that. The padding is also designed to dry quickly!
Any distance over Olympic, I may think about changing shorts, but you can
take a bit of pain for 40k, can't you. Isn't that what it's all about :)

You'll have far more fun running like a duck off the bike, I guarantee!

> Can anyone recommend a decent brand, or are they all much of a muchness...?

The best I got were also the cheapest - some Aussie brand which I can't
remember. As with all things like this, just don't try anything new on the
event... use the shorts in the pool, on the bike and out running so you
know what to expect before you get there

> Cheers,

And, of course, enjoy the event! Which one are you starting with?

Steve

Bob <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do
> the running bit. Has anyone tried to do a triathlon in proper
> cycling shorts? If so how did you get on?

Bob, I really didn't want the image of you in lycra in my head so I
counter by putting the image of me in cycling shorts into yours!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

Steve wrote:

[snipped...]

> You'll have far more fun running like a duck off the bike, I guarantee!

I've heard that that it can be entertaining transitioning from the bike to
the run. I'm hoping to do a cycle to run session tomorrow, so we'll see how
I get on.

> And, of course, enjoy the event! Which one are you starting with?

I'm hoping to do the Bedford Sprint Series, the first one is the 24th
of April, which just so happens to be the due date of our first child.
I'm hoping it wont come early...

Cheers,

--

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Bob <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do
>>the running bit. Has anyone tried to do a triathlon in proper
>>cycling shorts? If so how did you get on?

> Bob, I really didn't want the image of you in lycra in my head so I
> counter by putting the image of me in cycling shorts into yours!

Cheers, mate, I think I'll make your dreams come true next Sunday when
I turn up on my bike... ;-)

P.S. I'm going to try and forget the contents of your post or it'll give
me nightmares. ;-)

--

Bob <[email protected]> writes:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>> Bob <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>>I'm just a bit worried about getting a numb bum before having to do
>>>the running bit. Has anyone tried to do a triathlon in proper
>>>cycling shorts? If so how did you get on?

>> Bob, I really didn't want the image of you in lycra in my head so I
>> counter by putting the image of me in cycling shorts into yours!

> Cheers, mate, I think I'll make your dreams come true next Sunday when
> I turn up on my bike... ;-)

I take it you won't be flying in the conventional sense then?

> P.S. I'm going to try and forget the contents of your post or it'll give
> me nightmares. ;-)

;)

Chris
--

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Bob <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Chris Eilbeck wrote:

>>>Bob, I really didn't want the image of you in lycra in my head so I
>>>counter by putting the image of me in cycling shorts into yours!

>>Cheers, mate, I think I'll make your dreams come true next Sunday when
>>I turn up on my bike... ;-)

> I take it you won't be flying in the conventional sense then?

I doubt it, but it depends on the weather. By rights I should be driving
just in case I get a phone call, it's got to the stage where I've had to
stop drinking any volume of beer just in case...

Cheers,