trials riding problems

Steve

Guest
Hi, I'm trying to learn a bit of trials riding but I seem to have hit a wall (metaphorically, I
didn't crash into one whilst riding, or anything like that). I was just hoping that someone else,
who maybe has had similar experiences, could give me some tips.

I'm trying to get the back hop mastered. Sounds fairly simple, but it's just not happening. I can
get the front up no problem but as soon as I'm up there (even on the way up) I start falling to the
right. At best, I can delay the fall to the right for one or two hops on the back wheel, but
inevitably it comes. Also, I can't land it - after I get the front wheel up in the air I can't get
it to go straight down - I just kinda get stuck there before falling to the right again.

Also, probably related is my side hops (ie. up kerbs). I can hop to the right fairly easily but
going to the left is a lot harder. I come to a stop and if going right, I can lean my body to the
right and hop up and across, bringing the bike with me, landing on the kerb, but I can't lean
left if I want to hop up a kerb on my left - which limits the distance I can hop left to about an
inch or two.

Finally, my reflex, when falling off the bike, is to put the right foot down first - maybe I'm
subconciously preparing myself for failure by preparing to fall to the right, which is altering my
weight balance and making me fall to the right. If this was the case, should I just try practicing
falling to the left?

If anyone has any tips on what I could do to overcome this right-dominance problem, I'd be
interested to hear them.

Thanks.

Steve

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm trying to learn a bit of trials riding but I seem to have hit a wall (metaphorically, I
> didn't crash into one whilst riding, or anything like that). I was just hoping that someone else,
> who maybe has had similar experiences, could give me some tips.
<snip>
> If anyone has any tips on what I could do to overcome this right-dominance problem, I'd be
> interested to hear them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

Here's a good instructional video that will show you everything you need to know about your chosen
discipline. Right click and "save as" http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FOESRIDER/cj_19842.wmv

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi, I'm trying to learn a bit of trials riding but I seem to have hit a wall (metaphorically, I
>>didn't crash into one whilst riding, or anything like that). I was just hoping that someone else,
>>who maybe has had similar experiences, could give me some tips.
>
> <snip>
>
>>If anyone has any tips on what I could do to overcome this right-dominance problem, I'd be
>>interested to hear them.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Steve
>

> Here's a good instructional video that will show you everything you need to know about your chosen
> discipline. Right click and "save as" http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FOESRIDER/cj_19842.wmv
>
> --
> Slacker

Not Found The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either
outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it.

Jon Bond

> > Here's a good instructional video that will show you everything you need to know about your
> > chosen discipline. Right click and "save as"
> > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FOESRIDER/cj_19842.wmv
> >
> > --
> > Slacker
>

> Not Found The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either
> outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it.
>
> Jon Bond

Ah, that sucks....looks like they yanked it. It was just a rehash of my "Taking up urban
riding?" post.
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
>>>Here's a good instructional video that will show you everything you need to know about your
>>>chosen discipline. Right click and "save as" http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FOESRIDER/cj_19842.wmv
>>>
>>>--
>>>Slacker
>>

>>Not Found The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either
>>outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it.
>>
>>Jon Bond
>

> Ah, that sucks....looks like they yanked it. It was just a rehash of my "Taking up urban
> riding?" post.
> --
> Slacker

Ah, the one with the very flexible neck? haha, yeah. Ouch.

Jon Bond had to cut his own head off with a pocketknife once when it became firmly lodged
up his ass.

Try leading with the opposite foot.

Try plenty of low speed balancing stuff, like riding skinnies or doing track stands.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

need to know about your chosen discipline.

> >>Not Found The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either
> >>outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it.
> >>
> >>Jon Bond
> >

> > Ah, that sucks....looks like they yanked it. It was just a rehash of my
"Taking up urban riding?" post.
> > --
> > Slacker
>
> Ah, the one with the very flexible neck? haha, yeah. Ouch.
>
> Jon Bond had to cut his own head off with a pocketknife once when it became firmly lodged up
> his ass.

FFS Jon, beer really burns when it shoots through your nose!

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> need to know about your chosen discipline.

>>>Ah, that sucks....looks like they yanked it. It was just a rehash of my
>>
> "Taking up urban riding?" post.
>
>>>--
>>>Slacker
>>
>>Ah, the one with the very flexible neck? haha, yeah. Ouch.
>>
>>Jon Bond had to cut his own head off with a pocketknife once when it became firmly lodged up
>>his ass.
>>

> FFS Jon, beer really burns when it shoots through your nose!
>
> Mike

At least I don't owe you a keyboard ;)

Jon Bond

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm trying to learn a bit of trials riding but I seem to have hit a wall (metaphorically, I
> didn't crash into one whilst riding, or anything like that). I was just hoping that someone else,
> who maybe has had similar experiences, could give me some tips.

Perhaps, depending on how nice of a person you are...

> I'm trying to get the back hop mastered. Sounds fairly simple, but it's just not happening. I can
> get the front up no problem but as soon as I'm up there (even on the way up) I start falling to
> the right. At best, I can delay the fall to the right for one or two hops on the back wheel, but
> inevitably it comes. Also, I can't land it - after I get the front wheel up in the air I can't get
> it to go straight down - I just kinda get stuck there before falling to the right again.

Start the position in either a simple trackstand or small static hops to prepare yourself for the
move. The best way to learn rear wheel hopping is to start by doing it backwards (ie. hopping
backwards on your rear wheel). Lock the rear brake, shift your weight forwards then lean way back,
pull on the bars to get your front end up, find your balance point then start hopping. Keep your
arms bent.

> Also, probably related is my side hops (ie. up kerbs). I can hop to the right fairly easily but
> going to the left is a lot harder. I come to a stop and if going right, I can lean my body to the
> right and hop up and across, bringing the bike with me, landing on the kerb, but I can't lean
> left if I want to hop up a kerb on my left - which limits the distance I can hop left to about an
> inch or two.

That's called "muscle memory". You do the same move so often that it becomes ingrained in your mind
and your body follows. Work on your weaknesses in order to change that.

> Finally, my reflex, when falling off the bike, is to put the right foot down first - maybe I'm
> subconciously preparing myself for failure by preparing to fall to the right, which is altering my
> weight balance and making me fall to the right. If this was the case, should I just try practicing
> falling to the left?

Once again, muscle memory and your mind at work. Practice working on what you feel are your
weaknesses and your problems will be lessened.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Steve wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to learn a bit of trials riding but I seem to have hit a wall (metaphorically, I
> didn't crash into one whilst riding, or anything like that). I was just hoping that someone else,
> who maybe has had similar experiences, could give me some tips.
>
> I'm trying to get the back hop mastered. Sounds fairly simple, but it's just not happening. I can
> get the front up no problem but as soon as I'm up there (even on the way up) I start falling to
> the right. At best, I can delay the fall to the right for one or two hops on the back wheel, but
> inevitably it comes. Also, I can't land it - after I get the front wheel up in the air I can't get
> it to go straight down - I just kinda get stuck there before falling to the right again.

Try leaning to the left more.

Seriously, check your pedals - they should be flat, make sure you're not weighting on the right
foot. Try and keep your vision towards the horizon too - you've got a built-in stability monitor
that works better when you're looking in to the distance. Don't forget that you can over-compensate
by hopping to the right and forcing yourself to lean left.

Keep practicing.

> Also, probably related is my side hops (ie. up kerbs). I can hop to the right fairly easily but
> going to the left is a lot harder. I come to a stop and if going right, I can lean my body to the
> right and hop up and across, bringing the bike with me, landing on the kerb, but I can't lean
> left if I want to hop up a kerb on my left - which limits the distance I can hop left to about an
> inch or two.

Everybody has a favourite side. It's usually to do with whether you're regular or goofy / right or
left foot forward. Accept that you're better at hopping up on stuff on the right and work on the
other side when you're ready.

> Finally, my reflex, when falling off the bike, is to put the right foot down first - maybe I'm
> subconciously preparing myself for failure by preparing to fall to the right, which is altering my
> weight balance and making me fall to the right. If this was the case, should I just try practicing
> falling to the left?

Won't hurt...

> If anyone has any tips on what I could do to overcome this right-dominance problem, I'd be
> interested to hear them.

Try wanking with your left hand ;)