Triathalon @ Rays – Rolling Trials, High Jump Competition & Coker Slalom Racing

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by HardcoreCokerRider, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. I was recently contacted by Jeff Prosa (njmuni) who offered to hold a
    High Jump competition at Rays on Saturday night, which I think is a
    great idea!

    I had also been considering adding a new event in order to take
    advantage of the new slalom course that was built at Rays… and hold a
    Coker slalom race!

    Thus, I would like to announce two additional competitions that will be
    held concurrently with the Rolling Trials competition (we’ll probably
    start the events sooner in order to have more time, even if it’s on a
    non-exclusive basis for the first few hours)

    _*High_Jump_Contest*_
    There will be a high bar that the rider will have to hop over. Each
    competitor gets 3 tries at a particular height and if they clean it,
    they get scored for that height. If the rider faults on all 3 tries at
    a particular height, their last successful height is chosen as their
    final score.

    _COKER_SLALOM_RACE_
    This is a race against the course and the clock. Fastest time with no
    UPDs wins!

    There will be plenty of time to clean the sections in the Rolling
    Trials competition, so while you are competing at Rolling Trials you
    can grab your Coker (or mine or one of your buddies) and take a break
    from Rolling Trials and have a go at the slalom course.

    For more information on Rolling Trials, refer to the following thread:
    '2nd Annual Rolling Trials Competition – Rays MTB, Cleveland: April 8,
    2006' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46841)

    Please respond to this thread if you plan to attend and indicate which
    events you plan to compete in.

    So far the Rolling Trials competitors are:

    hell-on-wheel (defending his 24”/26” title)
    Brian MacKenzie
    three of Brian’s friends (???)
    njmuni
    digitalattrition
    DK

    Add your name to the list!!!

    Just one month till the event… Should be one heck of a great time for
    all who attend :D!

    See you there!

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  2. Here's a couple of pictures of the slalom course to whet your appetite!

    |Filename: slalom_couse_2.jpg |

    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  3. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
    > Here's a couple of pictures of the slalom course to whet your appetite!

    Looks like a Matchbox track for big people... looks fun! Have a good
    time!

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  4. THE COMPETITION IS ONLY 1 MONTH AWAY!

    Based on all the fun everyone had last year, postings by people who
    were sorry they missed last year's competition, and a posting in a
    have at least 30 riders and it looks like we have fewer than 10...
    probably not even enough to run 2 classes (so the 36" class would have
    to be dropped).

    I just got word from Coker that they are sending me the $100 gift
    certificate prizes. It would suck to have to return one (or both of
    them). And it would be so cool to pay $100 less and be one of the first
    to be riding their new machine!!!
    ::
    Rays is awesome and the competition is tons of fun.

    DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE WANT TO COME OUT AND HAVE A GREAT TIME AT A GREAT
    PLACE (AND ALSO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO MEET SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS FROM
    THE FORUM)???

    (You could be the one to go home with the Gift Certificate!!!)

    ::

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  5. I recently heard from Cowan Moore that he and about five other riders
    from the Cleveland area are planning to attend, bringing the roster up
    to 15 riders:

    hell-on-wheel (defending his 24”/26” title)
    Brian MacKenzie
    three of Brian’s friends
    njmuni
    digitalattrition
    DK
    Cowan Moore
    five other local riders (Cowan's friends)
    Andrew (though I am not eligible for the prize since I'm the
    organizer)

    * Rolling Trials (24"/26" class) and the High Jump competition are both
    confirmed and are definitely being held.

    * Rolling Trials (36" class) and the Slalom Race will be held if there
    are enough competitors to warrant holding these events.

    THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO MEET SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS FROM THE FORUM
    AND HAVE AN AMAZING TIME AT AN ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE VENUE!!!

    If you haven't been to Rays yet, you will be absolutely blown away by
    the place!

    * Renowned film maker, Brian MacKenzie, will be previewing scenes from
    his highly anticipated next movie.

    * You can be in Brian's Next Movie!!! (because he'll also be shooting
    scenes at Rays for his next film)

    * An exciting, new unicycling product will also be revealed to the
    public at this event

    Plus, don't forget... *the (1st Place) winners of the Rolling Trials
    competition *receive a
    _*gift_certificate_for_a_$100_discount_on_the_new,_improved_Coker_*_(which
    will be shipped to you as soon as it becomes available). It could be
    you!!!

    I look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland...

    (check back for more updates)

    (Also, what about the other guys from last year's event... any of you
    planning to attend this year's event?)

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  6. I thought it would be cool if this year's competitors could display
    numbers.

    I've never been to a uni competition (other than last year's RT event)
    so I'm not sure what is typical... but I think I remember seeing a uni
    with a number plate stuck in the spokes somehow! That seems pretty
    cool... and probably a better alternative to wearing a number on your
    chest, which would probably be prone to getting ripped up and destroyed
    from UPD's.

    If number plates for the wheel is too much of a hassle, does anyone
    know where I can get those disposable (plastic) vests with numbers on
    them that runners wear in marathons? (I'll just be sure to get
    duplicates for each number)

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  7. That might have been my uni you saw with the number plate in the spokes.
    I still haven't removed mine from the 24 Hours of Lifestyles last May.

    Hunter - Are you still coming up with me? It's gonna be hard for me to
    afford this trip without spliting the gas. Anyone else along my path
    need a ride?

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  8. siafirede

    siafirede Guest

  9. siafirede wrote:
    > When is this again? I might be up for splitting gas with you frank if I
    > can get away that weekend.

    Rays MTB, Cleveland: April 8, 2006

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD - New 6min short as seen on
    www.unicycle.tv' (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
    All proceeds from TWNR go directly into my next movie due for release
    Sept 1 2006
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  10. njmuni

    njmuni Guest

    Has anyone made room arrangements yet?

    Also which day and time are you guys planning on arriving in Cleveland?
    I would be interested in hitting up Ray's on Friday as well as
    Saturday. Can anyone else make it for Friday as well?

    Hey Andrew, would you been interested in car pooling?

    --
    njmuni

    Jeffrey Prosa
    New Jersey Unicyclist
    njmuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5971

  11. i may very well be able to make it for friday

    i haven't made room arrangements, but whatever the place we stayed at
    last time had the mackenzie bar and grill. and served the mackenzie
    burger

    it's good

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD - New 6min short as seen on
    www.unicycle.tv' (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
    All proceeds from TWNR go directly into my next movie due for release
    Sept 1 2006
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  12. uni57

    uni57 Guest

    Brian MacKenzie wrote:
    > and served the mackenzie burger

    ... but they were out of Brian cheese.

    I can't make it this year (and I still haven't given you your birthday
    present from last year...)

    Have fun. Don't smash your face on anything this time.

    --
    uni57
    uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

  13. Tigger

    Tigger Guest

  14. I definitely plan on riding on Friday. I hope to be able to leave for
    Cleveland on Thursday (Jeff - I'd be into carpooling if our schedules
    coincide).

    I'll be staying at the 'Holiday Inn'
    (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/cleat) like last year. You
    can check out the special discount packages for the Holiday Inn/Rays
    here:

    http://www.raysmtb.com/weekend.html

    The price and hours should be the same as last year... we should be
    able to start one hour earlier (non-exclusive) and then we'll have the
    whole place to ourselves the rest of the night.

    I think the price is $15/person, but I'll double check. I'm currently
    in Torrance, CA taking a class at the Robinson Helicopter factory, so I
    have limited free time and access to a computer to post, but I will
    make sure to post the official hours and pricing by tomorrow night.

    If you haven't posted yet to this thread, but intend to come... please
    you plan to compete in (24"/26" Rolling Trials, 36" Rolling Trials,
    High Jump, Coker Slalom Race). Thanx.

    See ya in Cleveland!

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  15. Hi Andrew, I can't find your phone# anywhere, please email me at
    onewheel_AT_rogers_DOT_com and give me your current number and best
    time to call you (incl Time Zone)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD - New 6min short as seen on
    www.unicycle.tv' (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
    All proceeds from TWNR go directly into my next movie due for release
    Sept 1 2006
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  16. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    I should be able to get off work and sneak in a ride,

    Thanks so much for the heads up jeff.

    I have an open invite as always to anyone who wants to ride in
    pittsburgh if its on your way to or from rays.

    Cheers
    Mike

    --
    Checkernuts

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H2O

    * -------muni militia -------
    one wheeled death squad*
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  17. i can no longer make it to ray's.

    on friday. i can't get there till friday night check in

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD - New 6min short as seen on
    www.unicycle.tv' (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
    All proceeds from TWNR go directly into my next movie due for release
    Sept 1 2006
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  18. by the way, I hope you haven't made up and tshirts or trophies with the
    word 'triathalon' (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=triathalon)
    in it.