Triathalon Training Tips?!

dwj444

Aug 26, 2003
I'm considering entering a triathalon this coming spring or summer. I ran the Chicago marathon last fall, and I'm still running 15-20 miles a week. It's snowing in Chicago now, and I'm trying to log an hour every other day on the stationary trainer (mind-numbing).

Does anyone have any recommendations for training manuals? I've looked a few things on amazon.com, but the readers there are hardly the experts that you all are.

Also -- does anyone have any favorite triathalons? Chicago seems a logical choice, but I might like to travel a bit. Could be fun.

You will probably find better answers for Chicago at www.chicagotriclub.com
Good training guides when I just did tris were found at www.trinewbies.com

I did a lot of tris in the Chicago area and my favorite was Elkhart Lake triathlon in Wisconsin. Very short drive from Chicago and a fun, yet challenging tri. Nice swim, hilly bike ride, and some good hills for the run. Check it out www.elkhartlakemultisports.com

This is the place it is held at...
Beautiful, makes for a great getaway weekend...
www.osthoff.com

I've looked at a great many Tri training book. They dont really offer to much. They all pretty much boil down to this: balance your training, mix up the workouts, learn to swim, be efficient in transition.

Join a masters swim team and learn how to swim efficiently, if you are not already an accomplished swimmer. I, myself, also started as a runner. Let me tell you, it seems most tri people have NO IDEA how to run. My first race, I started passing people right out of the transition. That trend hasnt changed either. You can lose a Tri in the swim, but theyre WON in the run.

dwj444 said:
I'm considering entering a triathalon this coming spring or summer. I ran the Chicago marathon last fall, and I'm still running 15-20 miles a week. It's snowing in Chicago now, and I'm trying to log an hour every other day on the stationary trainer (mind-numbing).

Does anyone have any recommendations for training manuals? I've looked a few things on amazon.com, but the readers there are hardly the experts that you all are.

Also -- does anyone have any favorite triathalons? Chicago seems a logical choice, but I might like to travel a bit. Could be fun.
Have you checked out the "Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel or "Triathlete's Edge" by Marc Evans? I think Dave Scott and Mark Allen also have books out there also.