Triathlete loses front wheel at Windsor

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Kahn, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    At yesterday's Windsor triathlon the organisers had put down a substantial wooden obstacle at the
    bike entrance to the transition to ensure that athletes dismounted where they were supposed to. I
    watched as one competitor leaped off his bike, lifted it over, realised something was wrong, then
    went back for his front wheel. He ran into the transition area with his bike in one hand and his
    wheel in the other. Fortunately triathletes use side pull brakes rather than discs. Yesterday was
    his lucky day.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:
    > At yesterday's Windsor triathlon the organisers had put down a substantial wooden obstacle at the
    > bike entrance to the transition to ensure that athletes dismounted where they were supposed to. I
    > watched as one competitor leaped off his bike, lifted it over, realised something was wrong, then
    > went back for his front wheel. He ran into the transition area with his bike in one hand and his
    > wheel in the other. Fortunately triathletes use side pull brakes rather than discs. Yesterday was
    > his lucky day.

    That can't be right. He must have had disc brakes. Operator errors do not happen. so there can be no
    other explanation for his wheel falling out. ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
    >Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:
    >> At yesterday's Windsor triathlon the organisers had put down a substantial wooden obstacle at the
    >> bike entrance to the transition to ensure that athletes dismounted where they were supposed to. I
    >> watched as one competitor leaped off his bike, lifted it over, realised something was wrong, then
    >> went back for his front wheel. He ran into the transition area with his bike in one hand and his
    >> wheel in the other. Fortunately triathletes use side pull brakes rather than discs. Yesterday was
    >> his lucky day.
    >
    >That can't be right. He must have had disc brakes. Operator errors do not happen. so there can be
    >no other explanation for his wheel falling out. ;-)

    Go and look at the force diagrams again. He picked the bike up.

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:45:11 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That can't be right. He must have had disc brakes. Operator errors do not happen. so there can be
    >no other explanation for his wheel falling out. ;-)

    As he was using side-pulls we can be fairly confident that it was operator error, and I don't think
    anyone has ever maintained that operator error does not happen. Indeed I warned someone at the start
    of a club run earlier this year that his (rear) QR was open, and he was both touchingly grateful and
    mightily embarrassed. Given that operator error is not unknown it's clear that designing a wheel
    ejecting force into the braking system is bad engineering. Whether QRs used with disc brakes can
    come undone in the absence of operator error is another matter.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Alan Braggins
    <[email protected]> typed:

    >> That can't be right. He must have had disc brakes. Operator errors do not happen. so there can be
    >> no other explanation for his wheel falling out. ;-)
    >
    > Go and look at the force diagrams again. He picked the bike up.

    Go and look at the emoticon and switch off your irony filter.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Mdava

    Mdava Guest

    Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > At yesterday's Windsor triathlon the organisers had put down a substantial wooden obstacle at the
    > bike entrance to the transition to ensure that athletes dismounted where they were supposed to. I
    > watched as one competitor leaped off his bike, lifted it over, realised something was wrong, then
    > went back for his front wheel. He ran into the transition area with his bike in one hand and his
    > wheel in the other. Fortunately triathletes use side pull brakes rather than discs. Yesterday was
    > his lucky day.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Wasn't me! I have read the newsgroup, and Sheldon's pages, like a good boy and made [email protected] sure that
    it was tight when i put it back together.

    However, the chunk of wood to enforce the dismount was a big surprise - I've never yanked the brakes
    and popped my feet out of the pedals so fast before! If you saw a shiny blue ten-speed with 27"
    wheels (whose nice tan sidewalls were a real distinguishing feature next to the shiny new bikes in
    transition) - that was me - and I had a ball!

    mDava at bigfoot dot com