Triathlete Talks smack ??

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Ss29mtb, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Ss29mtb

    Ss29mtb Guest

    I was down at the local bike shop, andwas approached by the woman salesperson I was looking to get a
    bike to get involved in training for triathlon. She steered my towards a km40, I explained that
    wasway out of my price range she steered my towards a Felt... In any case her therory was that a
    650c sized wheel was a "triathlon wheel" that 700c was a road bike sized wheel? I went home and
    looked over a few tri mags I have and it looks as though most pros and top age groupers are on
    700c?? While I was discussing triathlon with her she had told me she is a 12 hour Ironman... She
    also tells me that Emilio Desoto custom made her a all white outfit... ANYHOW.. so I pulll out of my
    wallet her business card she had given me and do a lil google serch on her... 12 hour ironman? nope!
    not even close we talking 15 hours plus. her bike split never exeeds 15 mph, and her run is in the
    15 minute / mile area? why the heck would this woman lie? why not just tell the truth? being a
    participant is an awesome thing, why lie that you are a competitor? Any thoughts? She is sponsored
    by hammer gel? whats that say about them?

    John

    Tags:

  2. "SS29MTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was down at the local bike shop, andwas approached by the woman
    salesperson
    > I was looking to get a bike to get involved in training for triathlon. She steered my towards a
    > km40, I explained that wasway out of my price
    range
    > she steered my towards a Felt... In any case her therory was that a 650c sized wheel was a
    > "triathlon
    wheel"
    > that 700c was a road bike sized wheel?

    There is nothing tirathlon specific about 650 wheels, other than the fact that smaller tri-bikes are
    easier to build with 650's. The reason for this statement stems more from the fact that 650's are
    not allowed in amlost any road race.

    > I went home and looked over a few tri mags I have and it looks as though
    most
    > pros and top age groupers are on 700c??

    Probably for the men. The rididing advantages of one wheelsize over the other are dubious. The
    biggest reason to select one is based on height. If someone is riding a smaller frame and they want
    a triathlon bike, they will need to go 650's. Many of the male pro triathlets are taller and many
    use road bikes so either way they wind up with 700's.

    > ANYHOW.. so I pulll out of my wallet her business card she had given me and do a lil google serch
    > on her... 12 hour ironman? nope! not even close we talking 15 hours plus. her bike split never
    > exeeds 15 mph, and her run is in the 15 minute / mile area? why the heck would this woman lie? why
    > not just tell the truth? being a participant is an awesome thing, why lie that you are a
    competitor?
    > Any thoughts? She is sponsored by hammer gel? whats that say about them?

    That she probably has done at least one ~12 hour IM. Did you find all of the races she had done?
    Sometimes people have a bad day....my last marathon was over 4 hours because I did it with a stress
    fracture. Does that mean I can't claim my earlier times?

  3. Triathlt B

    Triathlt B Guest

    >The reason for this statement stems more from the fact that 650's are not allowed in amlost any
    >road race.

    Since when? I do not see this rule in USCF or UCI ruling. 650c wheels have even been used in the
    Tour De France!

  4. "TRIathlt B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >The reason for this statement stems more from the fact that 650's are not allowed in amlost
    any
    > >road race.
    >
    > Since when? I do not see this rule in USCF or UCI ruling. 650c wheels have
    even
    > been used in the Tour De France!

    They certainly won't allow them in any of the crits around here.