Triathlon in late afternoon

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by DaveB, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
    some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
    sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
    weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
    people have made to their routines for races late in the day.

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
    > some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
    > sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
    > weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
    > people have made to their routines for races late in the day.

    Go to bed one hour later every day until you start waking up at 3:00
    p.m. Then you can use your regular race routine: get up, force down
    food, get to race. :)

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    DaveB wrote:

    > Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
    > some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
    > sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
    > weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
    > people have made to their routines for races late in the day.
    >
    > DaveB

    Hey DaveB, fancy seeing you here!

    I haven't done night tris, but I've done night running races. They seem
    easier because your body is well warmed up from the day. The main thing
    is to ensure you eat early enough, but not too early - which is specific
    for you.

    It might be really hot at that time (guessing it's daylight savings
    therefore really 4pm?) but you won't really notice that on the swim or
    bike ride too much. If it's very hot, the only other suggestion I'd make
    is using the last of the water in your bidon over your body to cool you
    before the run.

    Probably not very helpful... but probably more helpful than Harold
    Buck's comment ;)

    Tam