Triathlon in late afternoon

DaveB

Guest
Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
people have made to their routines for races late in the day.

DaveB

In article <[email protected]>,
DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
> some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
> sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
> weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
> people have made to their routines for races late in the day.

Go to bed one hour later every day until you start waking up at 3:00
p.m. Then you can use your regular race routine: get up, force down
food, get to race. :)

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

DaveB wrote:

> Every tri I've done it in the past has had me up at 5:00am, force down
> some food and get to the race. But this summer (Australa) I'm entering a
> sprint distance tri that starts at 5:00pm. Given the location the
> weather could be very hot at that time. I was wondering what changes
> people have made to their routines for races late in the day.
>
> DaveB

Hey DaveB, fancy seeing you here!

I haven't done night tris, but I've done night running races. They seem
easier because your body is well warmed up from the day. The main thing
is to ensure you eat early enough, but not too early - which is specific
for you.

It might be really hot at that time (guessing it's daylight savings
therefore really 4pm?) but you won't really notice that on the swim or
bike ride too much. If it's very hot, the only other suggestion I'd make
is using the last of the water in your bidon over your body to cool you
before the run.

Probably not very helpful... but probably more helpful than Harold
Buck's comment ;)

Tam