Triathlon Next Week - Would You Replace Toe Straps With Clipless?

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
To preface, I will be competing in the triathlon side-by-side with my daughter, starting and finishing with her. With that said, because of our average speeds the bike portion (13 miles - sprint tri) should be very easy for me as I average 18+ mph on my Specialized Sirrus while she can probably do only 14 on her older bike.

Since I've been pushing average speeds sometimes near 20 on my commuter bike, I wanted to gain some speed, and it seems clipless was the only equipment change I could do. Would it be smarter to wait until after the tri to change the pedals, or if I do it today, would one week and a few rides be enough for me to get used to clipless? (never used them before)

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I would be worried about transitioning so soon to the event - wait until after then train for the next one.

BTW, that is a great average mph on a hybrid. How do you like your Sirrus?

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
MotownBikeBoy said:
I would be worried about transitioning so soon to the event - wait until after then train for the next one.

I really love the Sirrus. I purchased the bike for fitness, not for racing. I'm just one to push myself as hard as this 55 year old body can take it. I know my average MPH on my bike is really good. I took a 10 mile ride last week and averaged 19.6.

I decided to switch out the pedals today. Came home, and in a few tries figured out how to use them. I only tried them down the street and back after playing around with clipping/unclipping for a while, and I love the feel of the pedals. The toe straps have play, and although I've been using straps for decades, I already don't miss them. I feel part of the bike with clipless, and the connection to the bike is undeniable. The pedal stroke is more fluid, and just a quick test on a spot in the road makes me believe my average MPH should go up at least 1 MPH on rides. That's all I can ask for on the Sirrus.

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
MotownBikeBoy said:

I agree with that. Don't change horses in midstream so if I were you, I would just try to be comfortable with what you are using. Would you believe that I was uncomfortable when I first wore a cycling shorts? I felt like the fabric is so close to my skin like I was wearing nothing. I was so conscious that people might be seeing the contour of my lower body, well, I'm sure you know that. So what I did was to wear the cycling short when I go for a spin inside the village.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Hey, good for you, glad your switch went so well. Let us know how your tri works out.

MNyte

Aug 3, 2015
That is quite convenient - your switch efficiently swapped. Anyhow, I hope you beat your daughter - or likewise.

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
We are running side-by-side, starting and finishing together. I would beat her handily if we each ran our own race, but that's not my goal for my first tri - the experience with my daughter is.

After all the years panicking about clipless, I chuckle at myself for that.

oldbobcat

Aug 31, 2003
metalmancpa said:
I decided to switch out the pedals today. Came home, and in a few tries figured out how to use them. I only tried them down the street and back after playing around with clipping/unclipping for a while, and I love the feel of the pedals. The toe straps have play, and although I've been using straps for decades, I already don't miss them. I feel part of the bike with clipless, and the connection to the bike is undeniable. The pedal stroke is more fluid, and just a quick test on a spot in the road makes me believe my average MPH should go up at least 1 MPH on rides. That's all I can ask for on the Sirrus.
Toeclips (with straps) were more effective with cleats. Same pedaling dynamics as "clipless," just less comfortable and less convenient.