Triathlon Next Week - Would You Replace Toe Straps With Clipless?

metalmancpa

Jun 11, 2015
To preface, I will be competing in the triathlon side-by-side with my daughter, starting and finishing with her. With that said, because of our average speeds the bike portion (13 miles - sprint tri) should be very easy for me as I average 18+ mph on my Specialized Sirrus while she can probably do only 14 on her older bike.

Since I've been pushing average speeds sometimes near 20 on my commuter bike, I wanted to gain some speed, and it seems clipless was the only equipment change I could do. Would it be smarter to wait until after the tri to change the pedals, or if I do it today, would one week and a few rides be enough for me to get used to clipless? (never used them before)

I would be worried about transitioning so soon to the event - wait until after then train for the next one.

BTW, that is a great average mph on a hybrid. How do you like your Sirrus?

MotownBikeBoy said:
I would be worried about transitioning so soon to the event - wait until after then train for the next one.

I really love the Sirrus. I purchased the bike for fitness, not for racing. I'm just one to push myself as hard as this 55 year old body can take it. I know my average MPH on my bike is really good. I took a 10 mile ride last week and averaged 19.6.

I decided to switch out the pedals today. Came home, and in a few tries figured out how to use them. I only tried them down the street and back after playing around with clipping/unclipping for a while, and I love the feel of the pedals. The toe straps have play, and although I've been using straps for decades, I already don't miss them. I feel part of the bike with clipless, and the connection to the bike is undeniable. The pedal stroke is more fluid, and just a quick test on a spot in the road makes me believe my average MPH should go up at least 1 MPH on rides. That's all I can ask for on the Sirrus.

MotownBikeBoy said:

I agree with that. Don't change horses in midstream so if I were you, I would just try to be comfortable with what you are using. Would you believe that I was uncomfortable when I first wore a cycling shorts? I felt like the fabric is so close to my skin like I was wearing nothing. I was so conscious that people might be seeing the contour of my lower body, well, I'm sure you know that. So what I did was to wear the cycling short when I go for a spin inside the village.

Hey, good for you, glad your switch went so well. Let us know how your tri works out.

That is quite convenient - your switch efficiently swapped. Anyhow, I hope you beat your daughter - or likewise.

We are running side-by-side, starting and finishing together. I would beat her handily if we each ran our own race, but that's not my goal for my first tri - the experience with my daughter is.

After all the years panicking about clipless, I chuckle at myself for that.

metalmancpa said:
I decided to switch out the pedals today. Came home, and in a few tries figured out how to use them. I only tried them down the street and back after playing around with clipping/unclipping for a while, and I love the feel of the pedals. The toe straps have play, and although I've been using straps for decades, I already don't miss them. I feel part of the bike with clipless, and the connection to the bike is undeniable. The pedal stroke is more fluid, and just a quick test on a spot in the road makes me believe my average MPH should go up at least 1 MPH on rides. That's all I can ask for on the Sirrus.
Toeclips (with straps) were more effective with cleats. Same pedaling dynamics as "clipless," just less comfortable and less convenient.