Triathlon question?

instinct2

Apr 7, 2005
O.K. - I understand that you swim, bike, then run. But, what does one change during the transitions. Do you swim with a Jammer suit and wear it for the bike and the run? Do you wear socks while you cycle? I want to do my first triathlon this summer, but I figured I better figure this stuff out before I do one.

instinct2 said:
O.K. - I understand that you swim, bike, then run. But, what does one change during the transitions. Do you swim with a Jammer suit and wear it for the bike and the run? Do you wear socks while you cycle? I want to do my first triathlon this summer, but I figured I better figure this stuff out before I do one.
A lot of it is by feel. The ironman requires that you use a wetsuit for the swim and I am willing to bet you arent going to want that for th ride so you would remove it. Socks is optional I guess, the best advice I had heard was to start off the bike with your feet ontop of the shoes to let them dry. On the longer rides you dont want wet feet to blister. Myself I have done several short ones, this summer will be my first ironman. While I am nowhere near an expert, I do have other things that I have heard if you are interested.

instinct2 said:

Hi,

I race triathlons. This is the way I do it (note it is not the right way but also not the wrong way ... it is just the way I like, and it works for me). I swim in jammers (Commando style), then at the first transition I put on my shirt with my race number pined to it, then my bike shoes I wear no socks. If the transition area is sandy I have a basin I will clean my feet in (some times I just race with sandy feet). Put my shoes on top of an old towel that is on the ground (towel is there so that feet do not get sandy once sand has been removed). Then I put my helmet on run with my bike to the mount line and mount my bike and go biking. Before the race I make sure that my bike is in such a gear that it will be not hard for me to start biking. On the second transition I dismount my bike at the dismount line run with bike to my spot hang bike on racks, take off helmet (I forgot to this on my first race so I ended up throwing my hermit into the crowd where a friend picked it up for me) take off bike shoes put on running shoes then I run like hell. Some more tips for you; make your transition spot unique so that it is noticed by you fast (i.e. you do not go to the wrong spot). One can hang bikes on the rack with handle bars facing the rack (i.e. brake levels hocked on rack) or with the back of the seat on the rack (I like the first way becuse it makes it harder for the bike to toppel over, but most say the second way is a bit faster). Yes I wear the same bottom for the whole race.

Hope this helped.

Pete

P.S. What races are you doing this summer?

Thanks, that helps. I am training right now for the chicago marathon, but getting bored with all the running so I have started riding a lot to supplement the running. I'm a highschool swim coach and track coach - so I have the swimming back ground so I figured I would give a few tri's a shot this summer. I live in Indiana and have been looking at several sprint tri's to start with that are in the lafayette area - sounds like fun to me! Tell me more if you have anything! Being a teacher I like as much info as I can get!

A) Ironman races do not require a wetsuit.

B) They make tri shorts and trisuits that are for the entire race. DeSoto, Speedo, Louis Garneau, TYR, everybody makes them. They are made to swim, bike and run. The shorts have a minimal pad that isn't as wide to accomadate running as well as cycling. They are quick drying. Sock wise it's up to what you feel comfortable with. I have yet to find a pair of cycling shoes that feel ok to me without socks, so I put them on. (if you use socks roll them off your feet before the race so that you can just roll them over your wet feet, pulling them on like regular doesn't work so well!) Get some speed laces or similar for your running shoes, you just slide your foot in and yank (Yankz are another brand) the bungee type cords to tighten them, no tying laces. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me anytime.

Voda48 said:
I was told the Madison Ironman does require a wetsuit.
My coach did Ironman Wisconsin and it follows USAT rules about wetsuits. With water temps the the low to mid 70's age groupers can wear them, but they are not required.

Triathlon yeah that sounds like a good thing. I bet it beats the you know what out of you. Wow, I can only imagine how tough that will make you. Swimming alone seriously is tiring if you are not use to it. Its all good for you though.

You can just wear an all-around tri-suit which is what you will use throughout the entire race. A tri-suit can be used for the swim, bike and run parts of the race. Some people wear wet suits during the swimming part and then when they leave the water, removed it and their tri-suit is already worn inside. Gears for each part are different. In swimming, basics are goggles and swim caps. For the bike part, there is the bike, helmet, bike shoes which are clipped on the pedals, and others. Transition areas are where the gear are left and this is where the starting part of both the run and bike are left. From changing to swimming gear to bike gear then to run gear until the finish line, the transition are is where it all happens.