triathlon road frame size

roadhouse

Aug 2, 2009
i've come across a c-dale ironman 5000 triathlon bike as posted for sale as such:

Size: 56

All Shimano Dura-Ace components

Spinergy XAeroLite Wheels

Handle Bars: Syntace Stratos with Profile Carbon Stryke, bar end shifters

3 Bottle Cages

Adamo racing saddle

Morph Road Pump

You'd have to spend a LOT more money to get a better bike.

...for the asking price of $800.00. i ride 56 roadie, is this gonna be the correct size, in general even, for me? i'm really interested and any help is appreciated. i will be testing it out pretty soon but until then..

thanks.

looks as if it's all stock like this and since it is a roadie, i'm gonna answer my own question and say a 56 is a 56.

2003 Cannondale Ironman 5000

Click photo for larger image​

link.png
Link to this page
mail.png
E-mail this page
Years this model was made:​

Side by side comparison

Bicycle TypeRoad race & triathlonSugg Retail$3,499.99WeightUnspecifiedSizes48cm (26" wheel), 50cm (26" wheel), 52cm (26" wheel), 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 60cm, 62cmColorsTopaz

Frame & ForkFrame ConstructionTIG-weldedFrame Tubing Material6061 T6 aluminumFork Brand & ModelUnspecifiedFork MaterialCarbon fiber composite, aero crownRear ShockNot applicable

ComponentsComponent GroupShimano Dura-AceBrakesetShimano Dura-Ace Dual Pivot brakes, Tektro 4.0 leversShift LeversShimano Dura-Ace bar-endFront DerailleurShimano Dura-AceRear DerailleurShimano Dura-AceCranksetCannondale Si Hollowgram, 39/53 teethPedalsNot includedBottom BracketCannondale Si HollowgramBB Shell Width68mm EnglishRear Cogs9-speed, 12 - 23 teethChain1/2 x 3/32"SeatpostAlien CarbonSaddleSelle San Marco AzotoHandlebarSyntace StratosHandlebar ExtensionsProfile Carbon StrykeHandlebar StemCannondale forgedHeadset1 1/8" integrated Campagnolo Record Hiddenset

roadhouse said:
looks as if it's all stock like this and since it is a roadie, i'm gonna answer my own question and say a 56 is a 56. ...
If you intend to ride this in long tri's then this may work for you but if you're planning on shorter sprint events or time trials you may have trouble achieving the position you'd expect of a TT bike. The pad's are nearly level with the saddle in that photo, sure it has a pretty high rise stem mounted but it also has a fairly tall head tube for a tri bike (because it's really a road frame with TT bars). It's also relatively long in the top tube for a tri bike which means a stretched out position when using the aero bars unless you can move the pads well behind the base bar and or go to a really short stem.

I ride TTs, not tris so my focus is on aerodynamics over long distance comfort on my TT bike. Even so I'd consider dropping down a full frame size for a tri bike that's built on a road geometry if you want to get a reasonably aero position in terms of pad drop and cockpit length.

Good luck,
-Dave

wow, that's a lot to think about and i appreciate the help Dave. I guess i'm just looking for something to get me familiar with riding in the tt position and nothing much more than that from this bike as a first. and it's so damn cheap, all things considered. i guess i'll get to test riding it this weekend and i'll keep the info you've provided in mind.

thanks Dave,

Preston.

and i'm only interested in 112 miles so that very well could be the ticket.

thanks again.

daveryanwyoming said:
Even so I'd consider dropping down a full frame size for a tri bike that's built on a road geometry if you want to get a reasonably aero position in terms of pad drop and cockpit length.

Agree. Unless the 56 he's currently riding has a *lot* of seatpost showing (due to very long legs), then I think he'd have a better chance of fitting a 54 tri-frame.

Edit: roadie, what brand road bike are you riding now? Have you checked the geometry of that C-dale frame vs. your current? 56 is not necessarily 56 across different brands. As Dave says, you'd typically like a shorter top tube and seat/head tube on a TT or tri-frame compared to a good fitting road frame.

frenchyge said:
Agree. Unless the 56 he's currently riding has a *lot* of seatpost showing (due to very long legs), then I think he'd have a better chance of fitting a 54 tri-frame.

Edit: roadie, what brand road bike are you riding now? Have you checked the geometry of that C-dale frame vs. your current? 56 is not necessarily 56 across different brands. As Dave says, you'd typically like a shorter top tube and seat/head tube on a TT or tri-frame compared to a good fitting road frame.

i'm on an '08 Specialized Tarmac (the top tube is actually 56.5, sloping) and no, i have not checked the geometry of one to the other.