Triathlon Training

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Nicolerm7, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Nicolerm7

    Nicolerm7 Guest

    I just competed in my first triathlon this weekend, and believe I may be hooked. It was just a
    sprint, 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. But it was great!

    I currently run marathons (about 2-3 per year) but would like to have a new challenge, hence the
    triathlon competition this past weekend. I have some great running workouts but lack any real
    training in the water or on the bike. I am a decent swimmer. I finished the 1/2 mile swim in about
    12 minutes and as well a decent cyclist but there is tons of room for improvement. I would
    eventually like to compete in a half ironman by next fall.

    All this said, I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations for triathlon training
    schedules and/or workouts.

    Thanks very much for the help. Nicole

    Tags:

  2. Billx

    Billx Guest

    Hmmm. Those distances favor the swimmer more than the cyclist. In the races I do the bike is 20
    miles whereas the swim is 1/2 mile and the run 4 miles. At 12 minutes for 1/2 mile your swim
    sounds plenty fast but you didn't mention your bike or run split which will be more important in
    most tri races.

  3. "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hmmm. Those distances favor the swimmer more than the cyclist.

    If they just had a race that was 3 mile swim, 3 mile bike, 3 mile run, I might actually place! Oh
    well, back on the bike!

  4. Marika

    Marika Guest

    "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hmmm. Those distances favor the swimmer more than the cyclist. In the races I do the bike is 20
    > miles whereas the swim is 1/2 mile and the run 4 miles. At 12 minutes for 1/2 mile your swim
    > sounds plenty fast but you didn't mention your bike or run split which will be more important in
    > most tri races.

    uhh those were there days. Don't think I will ever get close again. Thank God triathletes don't have
    to deal with significant traffic jams.

    the other day driving with my dad, we are going down i 95 and at a stand still. he rolls his window
    down in a jam and to a porsche he yells hey buddy hey how fast can you do 0 to 60

    cos it takes me an hour

  5. Nicolerm7

    Nicolerm7 Guest

    how about any good websites or literature on the sport?

    this is what really helped me with marathon training.

    i read a book and just did it.

    i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
    miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort
    of workout.

    thanks again for the help.

  6. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On 15 Apr 2003 05:58:41 -0700, [email protected] (Nicolerm7) wrote:

    >how about any good websites or literature on the sport?

    Look up "Triathlete Training Bible" by Joe Friel.

    Here's a link to Amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188473748X/qid%3D1050429537/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102--
    6556806-3506519

    It covers pretty much everything from setting up a workout schedule based on Key races to nutrition
    and weight lifting. In the back are three appendecies that have tons of interesting workouts for
    swim, bike and runs.

    ~Matt

    >this is what really helped me with marathon training.
    >
    >i read a book and just did it.
    >
    >i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
    >miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort
    >of workout.
    >
    >thanks again for the help.

  7. I have a faster way. Don't even bother reading, just do it. Swim, bike, run. That's all.

    [email protected] (Nicolerm7) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > how about any good websites or literature on the sport?
    >
    > this is what really helped me with marathon training.
    >
    > i read a book and just did it.
    >
    > i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
    > miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort of
    > workout.
    >
    > thanks again for the help.

  8. Sean Webster

    Sean Webster Guest

    this site is good for beginners, it has programs etc http://www.trinewbies.com/

    lots of books on Amazon, recently bought triathlete's training bible which was quite good

    good sport

    sean webster

    "Nicolerm7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just competed in my first triathlon this weekend, and believe I may be hooked. It was just a
    > sprint, 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. But it was great!
    >
    > I currently run marathons (about 2-3 per year) but would like to have a new challenge, hence the
    > triathlon competition this past weekend. I have some great running workouts but lack any real
    > training in the water or on the bike. I am a decent swimmer. I finished the 1/2 mile swim in about
    > 12 minutes and as well a decent cyclist but there is tons of room for improvement. I would
    > eventually like to compete in a half ironman by next fall.
    >
    > All this said, I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations for triathlon training
    > schedules and/or workouts.
    >
    > Thanks very much for the help. Nicole

  9. Nicolerm7

    Nicolerm7 Guest

    Thank you "Dr. Walker"! Your advice should prove very useful and enlightening.

  10. Well, first off Nicole, congratulations and a huge well done for completing your first triathlon.
    The first one is special, and all the rest get better...:)

    Have you considered joining a tri club? I think you will find all that you want through a good local
    club. As far as training is concerned, good that you are coming from a running background. I come
    from an international level biking background. For biking, the key I believe, is to keep it short
    and hilly: build power and endurance consistently over the coming weeks, around 2 or even 3 times a
    week, no more than 2 hrs - is ample to improve cycling when in combination with your strong running
    and learning swimming.

    Apply your running knowledge to bike and swimming. If you run a good milage, then substitute two
    bike rides a week with two runs, and add in and substitute a run for a swim. You will find that you
    won't lose any running form, even though you will proabably panic that your overall milage has
    dropped by half. Don't worry about this. What you must not do, is start to do a tonnes of biking (
    say 5times a week) with your already good run milage with loads of swimming (say 5times a week)
    every week - recipe for overtraining. Keep it simple. Let the fitness come to you.

    For swimming: you only go as fast as your technique! Work on efficiency and you'll be out the water
    with the best. Bare in mind too, that good fluid biking and running efficiency will get you those
    extra placings in a race or could decide the winner from loser...

    Remember also to space out your races to twice a month. Triathlon racing is not quite the same as
    running races - rather triathlon is like a marathon effort and must be respected as such! REST is
    the big key in tri performances and 95% of all athletes ( even elite) seem to underestimate the
    recovery. You must build in rest, or you simply won't get stronger/faster. Always listen to your
    body - if you are tired, then no training. Keep all your training consistent from month to month and
    keep everything recorded.

    It is difficult to advise you what to do in training as I don't really have enough to go on here and
    I'm NOT a coach. I was an age group tri champion back in 95 and 96 if I remember correctly:), and
    at the time cliched some international wins in tri, but I simply want to encourage you to continue
    on with triathlon, to join a club and have tonnes of fun..afterall that is what it is all about;

    Once again, well done for finishing your first tri

    Rebecca Bishop