Triathlon Training

Nicolerm7

Guest
I just competed in my first triathlon this weekend, and believe I may be hooked. It was just a
sprint, 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. But it was great!

I currently run marathons (about 2-3 per year) but would like to have a new challenge, hence the
triathlon competition this past weekend. I have some great running workouts but lack any real
training in the water or on the bike. I am a decent swimmer. I finished the 1/2 mile swim in about
12 minutes and as well a decent cyclist but there is tons of room for improvement. I would
eventually like to compete in a half ironman by next fall.

All this said, I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations for triathlon training
schedules and/or workouts.

Thanks very much for the help. Nicole

Hmmm. Those distances favor the swimmer more than the cyclist. In the races I do the bike is 20
miles whereas the swim is 1/2 mile and the run 4 miles. At 12 minutes for 1/2 mile your swim
sounds plenty fast but you didn't mention your bike or run split which will be more important in
most tri races.

"BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hmmm. Those distances favor the swimmer more than the cyclist. In the races I do the bike is 20
> miles whereas the swim is 1/2 mile and the run 4 miles. At 12 minutes for 1/2 mile your swim
> sounds plenty fast but you didn't mention your bike or run split which will be more important in
> most tri races.

uhh those were there days. Don't think I will ever get close again. Thank God triathletes don't have
to deal with significant traffic jams.

the other day driving with my dad, we are going down i 95 and at a stand still. he rolls his window
down in a jam and to a porsche he yells hey buddy hey how fast can you do 0 to 60

cos it takes me an hour

how about any good websites or literature on the sport?

this is what really helped me with marathon training.

i read a book and just did it.

i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort
of workout.

thanks again for the help.

On 15 Apr 2003 05:58:41 -0700, [email protected] (Nicolerm7) wrote:

>how about any good websites or literature on the sport?

Look up "Triathlete Training Bible" by Joe Friel.

Here's a link to Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188473748X/qid%3D1050429537/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102--
6556806-3506519

It covers pretty much everything from setting up a workout schedule based on Key races to nutrition
and weight lifting. In the back are three appendecies that have tons of interesting workouts for
swim, bike and runs.

~Matt

>this is what really helped me with marathon training.
>
>i read a book and just did it.
>
>i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
>miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort
>of workout.
>
>thanks again for the help.

I have a faster way. Don't even bother reading, just do it. Swim, bike, run. That's all.

[email protected] (Nicolerm7) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> how about any good websites or literature on the sport?
>
> this is what really helped me with marathon training.
>
> i read a book and just did it.
>
> i have started doing some "bricks" . . . ride for an hour or so on the trail and then run several
> miles right after . . . that seems to be a good start but i like to have a more regimented sort of
> workout.
>
> thanks again for the help.

this site is good for beginners, it has programs etc http://www.trinewbies.com/

lots of books on Amazon, recently bought triathlete's training bible which was quite good

good sport

sean webster

"Nicolerm7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just competed in my first triathlon this weekend, and believe I may be hooked. It was just a
> sprint, 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. But it was great!
>
> I currently run marathons (about 2-3 per year) but would like to have a new challenge, hence the
> triathlon competition this past weekend. I have some great running workouts but lack any real
> training in the water or on the bike. I am a decent swimmer. I finished the 1/2 mile swim in about
> 12 minutes and as well a decent cyclist but there is tons of room for improvement. I would
> eventually like to compete in a half ironman by next fall.
>
> All this said, I would greatly appreciate some advice/recommendations for triathlon training
> schedules and/or workouts.
>
> Thanks very much for the help. Nicole

Thank you "Dr. Walker"! Your advice should prove very useful and enlightening.

Well, first off Nicole, congratulations and a huge well done for completing your first triathlon.
The first one is special, and all the rest get better...:)

Have you considered joining a tri club? I think you will find all that you want through a good local
club. As far as training is concerned, good that you are coming from a running background. I come
from an international level biking background. For biking, the key I believe, is to keep it short
and hilly: build power and endurance consistently over the coming weeks, around 2 or even 3 times a
week, no more than 2 hrs - is ample to improve cycling when in combination with your strong running
and learning swimming.

Apply your running knowledge to bike and swimming. If you run a good milage, then substitute two
bike rides a week with two runs, and add in and substitute a run for a swim. You will find that you
won't lose any running form, even though you will proabably panic that your overall milage has
dropped by half. Don't worry about this. What you must not do, is start to do a tonnes of biking (
say 5times a week) with your already good run milage with loads of swimming (say 5times a week)
every week - recipe for overtraining. Keep it simple. Let the fitness come to you.

For swimming: you only go as fast as your technique! Work on efficiency and you'll be out the water
with the best. Bare in mind too, that good fluid biking and running efficiency will get you those
extra placings in a race or could decide the winner from loser...

Remember also to space out your races to twice a month. Triathlon racing is not quite the same as
running races - rather triathlon is like a marathon effort and must be respected as such! REST is
the big key in tri performances and 95% of all athletes ( even elite) seem to underestimate the
recovery. You must build in rest, or you simply won't get stronger/faster. Always listen to your
body - if you are tired, then no training. Keep all your training consistent from month to month and
keep everything recorded.

It is difficult to advise you what to do in training as I don't really have enough to go on here and
I'm NOT a coach. I was an age group tri champion back in 95 and 96 if I remember correctly:), and
at the time cliched some international wins in tri, but I simply want to encourage you to continue
on with triathlon, to join a club and have tonnes of fun..afterall that is what it is all about;

Once again, well done for finishing your first tri

Rebecca Bishop