Triatholon-Do you run in bike shorts?

Firewalker

Apr 20, 2005
Silly question, I know. Problem is that I have one coming up, nothing huge, 5 miles boat, 5 mile run, 17 mile bike. I simply don't want to run in bike shorts because, well, lets face it, not the best feeling in the world and I also don't want to bike without them. Hence, my dilemma. I think I might wear speedos (sorry Dad, I know I promised I would NEVER do that) and just wear them under my running shorts, lose the shorts at the transition and slide the bike shorts on. I know others dont do this, they ride in the speedo garb and makes me wonder how in the world they can stand it. You guys/girls ever have an issue with this? Any ideas?

Firewalker said:
Silly question, I know. Problem is that I have one coming up, nothing huge, 5 miles boat, 5 mile run, 17 mile bike. I simply don't want to run in bike shorts because, well, lets face it, not the best feeling in the world and I also don't want to bike without them. Hence, my dilemma. I think I might wear speedos (sorry Dad, I know I promised I would NEVER do that) and just wear them under my running shorts, lose the shorts at the transition and slide the bike shorts on. I know others dont do this, they ride in the speedo garb and makes me wonder how in the world they can stand it. You guys/girls ever have an issue with this? Any ideas?
Your moniker is appropriate for what you are about to experience...at those distances, suck it up, do the speedo and lube up your bike seat. :eek:

Speedos for the whole journey, add the lycra running shorts, (or bike shorts without nappy), for the run and bike legs. Consider using running shoes (with Power Grips) on the bike for short events. I'm over 55 too.. :)

http://powergrips.com/

While i find the boat part to be odd I will help anyway! If you are going to do more triathlons spend the $40 or more and get triathlon shorts (DeSoto Sport, Speedo, Louis Garneau, TYR, just to name a few brands). They have a thinner chamois so that when you run and swim you don't even notice it.

Desoto shorts are the way to go. They have just enough padding in them to make them comfortable on the bike, but not too much to get in the way on the run, and not enough so that they get water logged. Im a triathlete and that is all i where on race day and training. They also make desoto speedos with the padding in them as well.

Oh yeah, one more thing... your transition times should be an in and out process. Changing cloths is too time consuming. Best of luck.

Firewalker said:
Suck it up and don't be a Nancy. You're only running for 5 miles. Train with the speedos or lycra shorts first so you know what they feel like, then get in that race and kick some bootay!:)

Thanks for the replies...yes I also think the boat thing is odd but I assume that the water temps are not warm enough, besides, I sink like a rock. I will buy the running/cycling shorts mentioned. You guys are the best...thanks~:)

Firewalker said:

do the lot in your budgie smugglers (speedos).

Firewalker said:
Thanks for the replies...yes I also think the boat thing is odd but I assume that the water temps are not warm enough, besides, I sink like a rock. I will buy the running/cycling shorts mentioned. You guys are the best...thanks~:)
Tri shorts all the way. Pearl Izumi makes some decent one you can find at $45.

Good questions... I'm running my first triathlon on Sept 15th and have quickly realized that I am not in the same shape I was in back in my early 20's (now 37)... The event i've entered is similar to the event Firewalker will be doing 6 mile kayak, 17 mile bike and a 5k run... I looked at the replies in this thread and visited the DeSoto website, looks like good stuff.

Remember I'm a novice so go easy with the replies to this question. I want to make sure that I am hydrated throughout the 17 mile bike ride. Based on what I've read so far for this event, there will only be one water station located at the 10 mile mark. Is it crazy to consider a using a camelback pack while riding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

spotoneus said:
Based on what I've read so far for this event, there will only be one water station located at the 10 mile mark. Is it crazy to consider a using a camelback pack while riding?

There are cages you can hang off your seat for more water bottles.

spotoneus said:
Good questions... I'm running my first triathlon on Sept 15th and have quickly realized that I am not in the same shape I was in back in my early 20's (now 37)... The event i've entered is similar to the event Firewalker will be doing 6 mile kayak, 17 mile bike and a 5k run... I looked at the replies in this thread and visited the DeSoto website, looks like good stuff.

Remember I'm a novice so go easy with the replies to this question. I want to make sure that I am hydrated throughout the 17 mile bike ride. Based on what I've read so far for this event, there will only be one water station located at the 10 mile mark. Is it crazy to consider a using a camelback pack while riding?

you'll have a couple bottles on your bike. that's one more than you'll likely need for a short 17 mile bike ride. you absolutely do not need a camelbak.

What they've all said. One water bottle is more than enough. Aid station is not necessary for 17 miles. I just did an Olympic distance race (40k ride) with one water botle. And had to pee on the run.