"tricks"

justmate33

Aug 10, 2003
hello everyone,

I dunno If I'm suposed to post this there and if I'm not, could you tell me where?

So, I've been biking for quite a while now and I just bough myself a very nice bike. I'm trying to do a few "tricks". I can bunny hop but I'm having a lot of trouble to catwalk. Could anyone give me some good tips to help me? And is there also other "tricks" that I could lear, like the g-hop?

Thanks a lot

If your curious, I ride a Trek Liquid 10, 2003

Originally posted by justmate33
hello everyone,

I dunno If I'm suposed to post this there and if I'm not, could you tell me where?

So, I've been biking for quite a while now and I just bough myself a very nice bike. I'm trying to do a few "tricks". I can bunny hop but I'm having a lot of trouble to catwalk. Could anyone give me some good tips to help me? And is there also other "tricks" that I could lear, like the g-hop?

Thanks a lot

If your curious, I ride a Trek Liquid 10, 2003

Start on a loose gear(1,2 or 1,3), slow down, then pull up the front while strokingas hard as you can. Once you're up, keep on pedaling. If you went too high, stop pedaling-you're just starting how to do it. Once you are good, start to move on to the hard gear and touch your brakes if you went too high( I just started this stage two days ago).

There are other tricks that helps you improve your skills like the endo, where you press the front brake and your rear wheel goes up, and the trackstand. This is actually not really a trick, but it improves your balance, and it's helpful when you need to stop for a while. Just slow down and press both brakes and stay balance as long as you can.

I never heard about the the g-hop. Please tell me about it.

P.S. You're pretty amazing. It takes me 10 months to bunny hop and a month to catwalk(wheelie).

Originally posted by justmate33
I'm having a lot of trouble to catwalk.

What is catwalking, I've never heard that term before. Is that when u ride along the top of a wall or something narrow?

Originally posted by BLDR
What is catwalking, I've never heard that term before. Is that when u ride along the top of a wall or something narrow?

A catwalk is actually a wheelie. You just ride on the back wheel while the front wheel is on air.

I'd like to learn how to hop around on the back wheel. I'd think you'd need some strong hydrualic brakes though.

Back from out playing around. I took of the clips an threw on my platforms. I've been trying to endo and get the bike moving backwords so I could hit the brake an hold the bike up on the bike tire. I'm getting there. Just need to get the hold part down. I can stand still on the bike, I can hop in position. Now I need to learn to bunny hop higher and without clips :D I'd like to learn to hop on my back wheel soon. I'm also doing some nice endos (alot easier without clips ;) ) and trying to bring the back around but I can only get 90 degrees. It's fun though!

I've got a 1998 Rockhopper, I just don't seem to be abl to get the front wheel off the ground for long enough - or im just getting the timing wrong - when I o get up it goes too far and I have to put my legs down....

Souljah its quite easy to learn the skills for wheely's with a little practice.
The trick to it is the subtle use of the rear brake & finding the balance point, if you find your coming off the back a lot then your leaning a little too far back.
Lift the front untill the bike feels light (this is normally slightly higher than you think), once you have found the correct point you should be able to stop peddling & do a small manual untill you lose the speed, also try to sit sort of upright at the balance point.
Once you have found that point start practicing with the rear brake to keep at that point, just dab the brake very lightly & the front will come down so use pedal strokes to pull the front up if it dips & dab the rear brake if you goto far back.
Try to keep your body centred & your pedal strokes smooth, if you find you have to increase the pedal speed lean back more & keep a finger on the brake then you should be able to slow your pedal strokes again & keep the wheely going.

I have read almost every tip and tutorial on how to do successful wheelies, feathering the back brake and so-on, but no matter how much I practice I just can't do them. If I stand up I can do one for about 4-5m but sitting down I either end up on my ass or don't get high enough. Another thing I can't do is use the back brake while doing one, most of the time I've fallen over by the time I try. Also I always fall over to one side or the other when attempting to do a wheelie sitting down, and I've heard all the things about sticking ur knees out to keep balance but it doesn't work.

Conclusion: I can't do wheelies! :mad:

How did u guys learn? Are there any other (new) tips?

If I ever figure out how to do em, I'll be sure to tell you :).

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you at the moment.