Tricycle Jim: A True Legend Emerges

• Thread starter Cycle America/N
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cycle America/N

If anyone can think of a mightier man, I want to meet him. I mean before our eyes we are watching a
man, Jim Muellner, who, as I keep saying, is making a mockery of his 67 years. When you consider the
fact that he built one hugely successful company and sold it, built the trike he is riding across
the US, started yet another company to sell it and is loved by everybody because he loves them, who
in our time has a more powerful story to tell? I mean this is the stuff of legends folks!

In my own experience, even when I was in my early 20's on my first TransAm, I had barely enough
energy to set up camp at the end of a riding day. It was a daily miracle for me to keep a journal.
And yet here we have a man old enough to be a grandfather to many of his readers, making child's
play of his own continental crossing. And he's doing so while riding 115 mile days and camping in
graveyards and abandoned sheds, as he also pours out page after page of Pocket Mail reports and
stays in touch with his business contacts, accepts interviews and processes the logistics of his
many mayoral receptions on his cell phone. I don't think we should tell him the book he notes below,
that has him so fired up, is just fiction. Tomorrow Des Moines will do its best to honor his efforts
as he rides in with Jeff Longtin, Peter Borgen and the Reser brothers, Jeff and Jason!! Here Jim who
rolled in yesterday, shares a few reflections:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

So today I have a little time to reflect on the ride. Everyone has been kind and generous to me.
However few people understand the need to cycle. Few really associate biking with health. They have
been so totally hood winked by the automobile industry that they cannot imagine life without a car.

With regard to another of life's necessities, yesterday as I was biking down from Baxter I met a
group of cyclists going the same direction. I asked them if they had been to Grannies, "Oh no, we
are going to McDonalds", they all said. I was saddened, that here was a lovely setting and they
opted to leave it to go to a fast food joint rather than supporting their own local businesses. Soon
all these individual restaurants will be gone. All food will taste the same regardless of where we
are. Soon they will compress those little patties into pills so you don't have to waste time
chewing. Someday at the rate we are going there won't even be any REAL whip cream. Life will hardly
be worth living. So, I encourage you all to avoid fast food and support the unique places in your
area so our lives remain rich with diversity.

Today is laundry day finally. I have washed out my clothes almost every night, but today they are
getting the royal laundromat treatment. I can feel the difference already, at least until I get to
the first hill and the sweat comes rolling off.

Have been reading "The Happy Isles of Oceania" by Paul Theroux. My ride is like a cake walk in
comparison to some of the things he did. I am not sure paddling off into the sunset to strange
islands would be my cup of tea.

Thanks, Jim
------------------------------
Local access to PocketMail mobile e-mail now available in Europe, North America & Australia
http://www.pocketmail.com

btw: Jim's bike company is Just Two Bikes http://justtwobikes.com and he is riding in the 2bd Annyal
Mayors' Ride http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide

MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO

Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru clinical death
and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

The book by Theroux that is mentioned in this letter from Jim, according to many people who are
familiar with Oceana, is fiction, even though it was intended to be a true-life travel diary. I
challenge anyone to read Theroux's works and without seeing their categorical designation,
determining which are fiction and which are non-fiction.

Steve McDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.