Tricycle stuck in high gear - won't shift to low.

Cool_Mint

Mar 27, 2010
This is probably a dumb question but how do I adjust the gears to make it slip into 1st?

It's an old Mission Trilogy Tricycle with a 5-speed shimano rear derailleur, I messed with the "H" and "L" screws because it was rattling slightly (now I know those are the wrong ones to adjust) and now it's only moving between 3rd, 4th and 5th and it's rattling worse than before and I can't get it to go down into 2nd or 1st. :confused:

Could it be a bent derailleur? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at - I was never much good at adjusting gears.

Thanks for your advice!

Cool_Mint said:
This is probably a dumb question but how do I adjust the gears to make it slip into 1st?

It's an old Mission Trilogy Tricycle with a 5-speed shimano rear derailleur, I messed with the "H" and "L" screws because it was rattling slightly (now I know those are the wrong ones to adjust) and now it's only moving between 3rd, 4th and 5th and it's rattling worse than before and I can't get it to go down into 2nd or 1st. :confused:

Could it be a bent derailleur? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at - I was never much good at adjusting gears.

Thanks for your advice!
You probably just need to back off the Low Limit screw a little so that the derailluer had enough travel to push the chain up onto the 1st and 2nd cogs.

Thanks Kdelong, I finally realized that the gears are "backward" on the tricycle because it only has a single cog at the front, so on the back the smallest cog is high gear and the biggest is low gear.

One of those "duh!" moments.:D