Tricycles!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Slidemanic, May 13, 2003.

  1. Slidemanic

    Slidemanic New Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2003
    So...whatever happened to Tricycling in the UK? Here in the US, I still have the kit I bought from Ken G. Rogers in 1978. It is currently the back end of my 1965 Peugeot PX-10, and the whole vehicle rides on three sew-ups. My interest was piqued in the 1970s due to a magazine article...and I'd since seen (in the '80s) a copy of Bicycle Action magazine with a feature on Tricycle racing. Maybe it was all old geezers and they're now in rest homes, but I hope not! Always a blast to ride, always get double takes from passersby. Sooo...anyone else still doing this?

    Sincerely, Slidemanic

    Tags:

  2. >Always a blast to ride, always get double takes from passersby. Sooo...anyone else still
    >doing this?

    Oh yes, tricycles are a regualr sight here in Norfolk - at time trials and at the Bungay Mayday
    races, there was a special tricycle event. Yes, a lot of "more mature" people ride them, but what
    the heck - they look brilliant fun to ride fast round corners ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    p.s. see <http://www.bcf.uk.com/gallery/2003/Larry/Bungay/Trikes/index.htm> The yellow & black stars
    & stripes jersy is CC Breckland - a *fine* club :)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Slidemanic wrote:
    > So...whatever happened to Tricycling in the UK?

    I still see the odd "serious" upright trike, usually decked out for touring. Things like Pashley
    Loadtrikes are still in use all over the place.

    Rather more emphasis on recumbent ones these days. A recumbent trike holds the Land's End to John a'
    Groats record at 41 hours 4 minutes. AIUI 'bent trikes are a very solid corner of the market.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Mikebam

    Mikebam Guest

    "Slidemanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So...whatever happened to Tricycling in the UK? Here in the US, I still have the kit I bought
    > from Ken G. Rogers in 1978. It is currently the back end of my 1965 Peugeot PX-10, and the
    > whole vehicle rides on three sew-ups. My interest was piqued in the 1970s due to a magazine
    > article...and I'd since seen (in the '80s) a copy of Bicycle Action magazine with a feature
    > on Tricycle racing. Maybe it was all old geezers and they're now in rest homes, but I hope
    > not! Always a blast to ride, always get double takes from passersby. Sooo...anyone else still
    > doing this?
    >
    > Sincerely, Slidemanic
    >

    > --
    > Sincerely, Slidemanic

    Still a few of us trundling our "barrows" around the old country - Ken is still in business
    producing conversions/trikes/tandem trikes etc from his place at the end of the runway at Heathrow -
    or so it seems when watching the planes and counting the nuts and bolts on the landing gear as they
    skim past his roof. The "TA" holds events - social/racing throughout the year and even organises a
    "world championship" race in France every summer. It does seem to be populated by grey bearded
    types(ladies accepted of course) but after all the trike men seem to fall into the experienced type
    seeking even more thrills controlling, paradoxically, a highly unstable machine at speed. Take a
    look at some of the photos on the following sites
    :-

    http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/

    http://www.tricycle-association.org.uk/

    Mike

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Oh yes, tricycles are a regualr sight here in Norfolk - at time trials and at the Bungay Mayday
    > races, there was a special tricycle event. Yes, a lot of "more mature" people ride them, but what
    > the heck - they look brilliant fun to ride fast round corners ;-)

    But a bummer to ride down those quaint single track country lanes with grass growing up the middle.
    Riders tell me you can never get all three wheels on the smooth bits.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], mikebam <[email protected]> typed:

    > Still a few of us trundling our "barrows" around the old country -

    Don't forget the Trice range and other three wheel recumbents which actually corner on three wheels
    extremely well.

    Tony

  7. Slidemanic

    Slidemanic New Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2003
    Thanks for all the responses, people. It is good to know I'm not the only one. Whenever I'm not on the Cinelli "normal" bike, there I'll be on the PX-10 conversion trike. All it really needs is a TA Cyclotourist triple crank--42/23 is the limit of the current setup, so it is best on the flats. There is a recumbent fanatic right down the street, and he has a tandem, but not a trike yet. He's tried to convert me to recumbents, perhaps I should try to convert him to Trikes! (recumbent ones, of course.)