trike attachment?

On 26 Jul 2004 19:17:33 -0700, Chalo wrote:

> To my way of thinking, that is one of a trike's
> advantages over a bike. You have lots more ways to crash without ever
> even going fast.

How is that an advantage?

BTW, I agree with you on the trike thing. I used to have a three-wheeled
go-cart (not one of those Honda things with three giant tires, but one
where you sit ~6 inches off the ground); it had a much lower center of
gravity than the bike-trikes and it took very little to cause it to tip to
the outside. It wouldn't likely happen at a few mph, but a downhill
followed by a turn could easily have her eating pavement.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On 27 Jul 2004 07:45:46 -0700, [email protected] (supabonbon)
wrote:

>...New plan: sell the Schwinn, buy mom
>Chopper Trike B with a furry purple hat.

Unless she wears red hats anyway, in which case it's best not to mess
with the chapeau.

Hmmm. Furry purple helmet? Elasticized purple fake-fur cover for
cool-weather stylish comfort? (Yes, I know, "purple fake fur" does
not belong in the same sentence as "stylish" for the most part, but
there's stylin' and then there's stylin'...)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 26 Jul 2004 19:17:33 -0700, [email protected] (Chalo) wrote:

>If she must go on all threes, she had better use a recumbent trike,
>which places the C of G low enough to ride without undue peril.
>
>http://www.wagondepot.com/joyrider.html
>http://www.wagondepot.com/fun-cycle.html
>http://www.sunbicycles.com/03/html_04/recumbents/ez3_sx.html
>
>Such machines are not a lot of bike for the money, though. She'll
>have a better time if she relinquishes her weenitude and learns to
>ride on two wheels.

I have to agree with this on all counts, having had a conversion trike
long ago and having ridden a 'bent trike a couple of times more
recently. Of the three, if she *won't* ride a two-wheeler, then the
'bent is the better choice by far; conversion trikes topple with very
little warning and at alarmingly low speeds, and they're much less
bump-stable as well. I won't even go into their proclivities for
traversing an inclined drive or street.
--

Werehatrack wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:20:16 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Werehatrack wrote:
>>

>>>One consideration to keep in mind; the cheaper kits generally are set
>>>up to drive only one of the rear wheels, and while that works, it's
>>>not necessarily as good as using an axle with a differential that
>>>drives both wheels. One-wheel-drive is, however, vastly preferred
>>>over a straight axle that drives both wheels; this is not a safe setup
>>>for a trike, as it makes steering very dodgy...and downright
>>>impossible at times....

>>Most purpose built delta trikes drive only one rear wheel. A
>>differential adds significant cost and complexity.

> It also adds another drawback; unless the diff is equipped with a slip
> brake (in automotive apps, this is called "posi-traction") the
> effectiveness of the drive will be completely lost when *either* rear
> wheel lifts off the road. With one-side-drive, you only lose drive
> effectiveness when the driving wheel lifts. There are reasons to
> prefer each of these, but when cost is taken into account, the
> one-siders tend to win. I had a one-sider as a delivery vehicle back
> in the early '70s; I don't miss it.

Another approach is to use an axle with no differential to drive both
wheels, but to use freewheeling hubs. This allows the inner wheel to
coast while turning, but delivers power to both wheels in slippery
conditions. I know of one homebuilt delta trike using this arrangement.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2004 07:45:46 -0700, [email protected] (supabonbon)
> wrote:
>
>> ...New plan: sell the Schwinn, buy mom
>> Chopper Trike B with a furry purple hat.

> Unless she wears red hats anyway, in which case it's best not to mess
> with the chapeau.
>
> Hmmm. Furry purple helmet? Elasticized purple fake-fur cover for
> cool-weather stylish comfort? (Yes, I know, "purple fake fur" does
> not belong in the same sentence as "stylish" for the most part, but
> there's stylin' and then there's stylin'...)

Environmentalists are getting upset that the Barney population is dwindling
due to purple fur demand.
I bet you have to use a big harpoon to land yourself an adult Barney too.

Matt