Trike axles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moosh:)

Has anyone got any links to bearings and axles for the two-wheeled-end of a trike? I was wondering
what to use for a light axle, and how to attach this to a bike wheel either to drive it or to free
wheel. How about the bearings to support the axle? I was thinking of pillow blocks bolted to the
frame. Any thoughts gratefully received.

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone got any links to bearings and axles for the two-wheeled-end of a trike? I was wondering
> what to use for a light axle, and how to attach this to a bike wheel either to drive it or to free
> wheel. How about the bearings to support the axle? I was thinking of pillow blocks bolted to the
> frame. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Are you building a tadpole (two in front) or a delta (two in rear) trike? If it's a two-in-front,
you'll probably want wheelchair hubs (which have no brakes) or modified drum brake hubs (available
from Greenspeed).

For a two-in-rear trike, the easiest method is to use a trike conversion axle like those used on
most adult trikes.

Jeff

On 30 May 2003 14:50:09 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Has anyone got any links to bearings and axles for the two-wheeled-end of a trike? I was
>> wondering what to use for a light axle, and how to attach this to a bike wheel either to drive it
>> or to free wheel. How about the bearings to support the axle? I was thinking of pillow blocks
>> bolted to the frame. Any thoughts gratefully received.
>
>Are you building a tadpole (two in front) or a delta (two in rear) trike? If it's a two-in-front,
>you'll probably want wheelchair hubs (which have no brakes) or modified drum brake hubs (available
>from Greenspeed).
>
>For a two-in-rear trike, the easiest method is to use a trike conversion axle like those used on
>most adult trikes.

Thanks Jeff.

I'm thinking about a rear-steer taddy :)

I know all about rear wheel steering sensitivity, and I hope to overcome this by having two
"ranges". Very gentle movement for normal riding, and a gross steering method of rotating the
rearwheel for manoevring when almost stationary.

For simplicity I will drive only one of the front wheels, and if folks say this will upset my
steering, I will take it as a compliment -- if only I could pedal that hard. This will be a "yacht
for social sailing only". I'm 60, unfit and arthritic :)

I was thinking of pedals ahead of the front wheels and on the midline driving a dummy wheelhub (with
attached set of toothies) on the end of a half axle. The other end of this axle will be solidly
attached to the hub of one of the wheels. The axle will be supported by two suitable bearings
(pillow blocks) bolted to the frame.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any web sites that showed pictures of axles, bearings and trike
type fittings.

"Moosh:)" skrev
> I'm thinking about a rear-steer taddy :)
>
> I know all about rear wheel steering sensitivity, and I hope to overcome this by having two
> "ranges". Very gentle movement for normal riding, and a gross steering method of rotating the
> rearwheel for manoevring when almost stationary.

There are some diagrams on the sidewinder page but if they are good enough to learn or copy from I
dunno. http://www.sidewindercycle.com/ (in assembly instructions)

http://www.thertr.com/users.htm is a website for trikes. Theres one user George LaRosa (near bottom
of page) who writes the following:

"Hi; I've been building trikes off and on for several years; always trying for a better one. At
present I have two frontwheel drive trikes and am building another; still FWD, but a different
design. Would like to share ideas with other riders and builders. "

You can find his email on the page. Don't want to print it here and get him tons of spam. He's in
Portland, OR.

Best of luck Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> http://www.thertr.com/users.htm is a website for trikes. Theres one user George LaRosa (near
> bottom of page) who writes the following:
>
> "Hi; I've been building trikes off and on for several years; always trying for a better one. At
> present I have two frontwheel drive trikes and am building another; still FWD, but a different
> design. Would like to share ideas with other riders and builders. "
>
> You can find his email on the page. Don't want to print it here and get him tons of spam. He's in
> Portland, OR.
>
> Best of luck Mikael

Since his email is on the webpage, I'd expect he'll be getting spam anyway. I'll have to get in
touch with him- I live next door to Portland. I'll have to see his machine.

Jeff

Timothy Smith has some good links on rear wheel steering trikes on IHPVA's site, including detailed
patent drawings that might be helpful: http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/rws.htm

Floyd

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 30 May 2003 14:50:09 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:
>
> >"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Has anyone got any links to bearings and axles for the two-wheeled-end of a trike? I was
> >> wondering what to use for a light axle, and how to attach this to a bike wheel either to drive
> >> it or to free wheel. How about the bearings to support the axle? I was thinking of pillow
> >> blocks bolted to the frame. Any thoughts gratefully received.
> >
> >Are you building a tadpole (two in front) or a delta (two in rear) trike? If it's a two-in-front,
> >you'll probably want wheelchair hubs (which have no brakes) or modified drum brake hubs
> >(available from Greenspeed).
> >
> >For a two-in-rear trike, the easiest method is to use a trike conversion axle like those used on
> >most adult trikes.
>
>
> Thanks Jeff.
>
> I'm thinking about a rear-steer taddy :)
>
> I know all about rear wheel steering sensitivity, and I hope to overcome this by having two
> "ranges". Very gentle movement for normal riding, and a gross steering method of rotating the
> rearwheel for manoevring when almost stationary.
>
> For simplicity I will drive only one of the front wheels, and if folks say this will upset my
> steering, I will take it as a compliment -- if only I could pedal that hard. This will be a "yacht
> for social sailing only". I'm 60, unfit and arthritic :)
>
> I was thinking of pedals ahead of the front wheels and on the midline driving a dummy wheelhub
> (with attached set of toothies) on the end of a half axle. The other end of this axle will be
> solidly attached to the hub of one of the wheels. The axle will be supported by two suitable
> bearings (pillow blocks) bolted to the frame.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of any web sites that showed pictures of axles, bearings and trike
> type fittings.
>
>
> Moosh:)

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> http://www.thertr.com/users.htm is a website for trikes. Theres one user George LaRosa (near
> bottom of page) who writes the following:
>
> "Hi; I've been building trikes off and on for several years; always trying for a better one. At
> present I have two frontwheel drive trikes and am building another; still FWD, but a different
> design. Would like to share ideas with other riders and builders. "
>
Mikael, is this website still active? I keep getting a "connection failed" box when I try to add to
it. Thanks.

Chris Jordan

"Christopher Jordan" skrev

> Mikael, is this website still active? I keep getting a "connection failed" box when I try to add
> to it. Thanks.

Links still works for me.

M.

The site works! Georges email does not. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Christopher Jordan" skrev
>
> > Mikael, is this website still active? I keep getting a "connection failed" box when I try to add
> > to it. Thanks.
>
> Links still works for me.
>
> M.

Status
Not open for further replies.