Trike converts to bent on the fly?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Carol Cohen, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Joe Kochanowski writes (among other things):

    > I want a trike that converts to a bike on the fly.

    This is a good idea! It makes me think of those 1920's motorcycles with sidecars. Or having one
    training wheel on a bike, with a handy lever to lift it while pedaling.

    It would mean being able to go really slow on steep uphills (given the gearing) and then pulling up
    the 3rd wheel on the downhills.

    Anyone working on this idea?

    C.C.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA6FC340.44733%[email protected]>...
    > Joe Kochanowski writes (among other things):
    >
    > > I want a trike that converts to a bike on the fly.
    >
    > This is a good idea! It makes me think of those 1920's motorcycles with sidecars. Or having one
    > training wheel on a bike, with a handy lever to lift it while pedaling.
    >
    > It would mean being able to go really slow on steep uphills (given the gearing) and then pulling
    > up the 3rd wheel on the downhills.
    >
    > Anyone working on this idea?
    >
    > C.C.

    Well, I think what comes closest is a leaning trike with some sort of locking mechanism. That is,
    the majority of the vehicle tilts into turns but there's some way of keeping it from leaning at a
    stop. A few trikes have been built this way: http://www.maxmatic.com/soohoo.htm
    http://www.tripendo.com/

    It's an interesting concept that I'd like to try.

    Jeff

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Carol Cohen wrote:

    > ...Or having one training wheel on a bike, with a handy lever to lift it while pedaling.
    >
    > It would mean being able to go really slow on steep uphills (given the gearing) and then pulling
    > up the 3rd wheel on the downhills.
    >
    > Anyone working on this idea?

    C.C.,

    See:

    < http://www.mobilityeng.com/ > < http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/barracuda/landinggear.htm >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  4. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > Carol Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >> ...Or having one training wheel on a bike, with a handy lever to lift it while pedaling.
    >>
    >> It would mean being able to go really slow on steep uphills (given the gearing) and then pulling
    >> up the 3rd wheel on the downhills.
    >>
    >> Anyone working on this idea?
    >
    > C.C.,
    >
    > See:
    >
    > < http://www.mobilityeng.com/ > <
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/barracuda/landinggear.htm >
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

    Thanks, Tom--

    Warren Beauchamp's design is excellent! I like the way he redesigned it even better (telescoping)
    after using it for a while. I wonder if anybody is trying out this idea on an unstreamlined,
    non-racing recumbent. With a small but adequate wheel on the end. One that could rotate and not fall
    apart at about 5 mph. Naahh - under 4 mph I usually just get out and push the bent uphill. I mean,
    if I already look like a dork, helmet, flag, tight black shorts, blinkers & pedaling this weird
    machine, I'd be a finalist in somebody's World's Funniest Videos if they caught me frantically
    pedaling at 110 rps and moving at 3 mph while a cow on the other side of the fence got curious
    enough to walk parallel to me, and passed me!

    C.C.

  5. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Yeah, but we get even when we make it to the top and scarf down a couple of big macs and some tallow
    news:BA712B95.4486B%[email protected]...

  6. Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA6FC340.44733%[email protected]>...
    > Joe Kochanowski writes (among other things):
    >
    > > I want a trike that converts to a bike on the fly.
    >
    > This is a good idea! It makes me think of those 1920's motorcycles with sidecars. Or having one
    > training wheel on a bike, with a handy lever to lift it while pedaling.
    >
    > It would mean being able to go really slow on steep uphills (given the gearing) and then pulling
    > up the 3rd wheel on the downhills.
    >
    > Anyone working on this idea?
    >
    > C.C.

    The reason I would like to have a bike that converts to a trike on the fly is to descend hills and
    take corners faster. I have had problems in races where I cannot go down hills fast in a streamliner
    due to wind turbulence. I also found from experience that a good low trike can take turns faster
    than a bike because it can slide without crashing. Cars can hold corners better because cars can get
    downforce. I had a dream about a trike-bike vehicle. When I woke up I could not remember how it
    worked. Georgiev also says he gets bent ideas from his dreams.

  7. U vant Training Wheels? I saw some company who was marketing Training Wheels for Mtbs...cannot
    remember the address though. The 2 wheels were attached to a Spring Loaded/Lock-in-place bar that
    looked like a Harley Kickstand. When riding 2 wheels it is up, when U want it down for the 2 extra
    wheels U use your foot to push the Kickstand type device down.
    -----------------------------------------looked stupid, but seems to work............ "Joseph
    news:[email protected]...