Trike for a tall, heavy person?

Arklier

Guest
I'm thinking of asking 'Santa' for a trike for Christmas, but I'm
having trouble finding one that can take my weight. I'm around 6'1"
and weigh close to 350 pounds (one of the reasons I'm considering a
trike is so I can get some of it off). Lots of trikes for smaller
people around, but not too many for us that are on the heavier side.
I'd ideally like to spend less than $1,000. It would just be for
exercise and riding around on pavement. I considered a regular bike,
but decided I'd prefer the extra storage space a trike provides.

I drive a Nissan Versa, so while it has a lot of storage space for its
size, it is still a very small car. So for a trike I would probably
need a small trailer to take it anywhere, unless it was a folding
model (which probably wouldn't fit in my price and weight range
anyway).

I've looked around a bit online and so far the only one I've found
that is within my budget is the Worksman PAV3:

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/pav3.html

Anyone have any opinions on this model, and are there any other trikes
I should be looking at?

Arklier ? wrote:
> I'm thinking of asking 'Santa' for a trike for Christmas, but I'm
> having trouble finding one that can take my weight. I'm around 6'1"
> and weigh close to 350 pounds (one of the reasons I'm considering a
> trike is so I can get some of it off). Lots of trikes for smaller
> people around, but not too many for us that are on the heavier side.
> I'd ideally like to spend less than $1,000. It would just be for
> exercise and riding around on pavement. I considered a regular bike,
> but decided I'd prefer the extra storage space a trike provides.

Keep in mind that due to more complicated frames and proprietary parts,
you will typically pay up to $1000 more for a trike than a comparable
upright.

> I drive a Nissan Versa, so while it has a lot of storage space for its
> size, it is still a very small car. So for a trike I would probably
> need a small trailer to take it anywhere, unless it was a folding
> model (which probably wouldn't fit in my price and weight range
> anyway).
>
> I've looked around a bit online and so far the only one I've found
> that is within my budget is the Worksman PAV3:
>
> http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/pav3.html

Unless you have problems getting in and out of the lower seat, I would
get the PA-LR instead of the PAV3. The lower center of gravity will make
the trike much less likely to tip if you have to make an emergency
maneuver, even at a moderate speed (e.g. 12 to 15 mph on a mild down grade).

> Anyone have any opinions on this model, and are there any other trikes
> I should be looking at?

Also in the sub $1K price range is the Sun EZ-3:
<http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm>. The EZ-3 can be ordered by any
bike shop (in the US) with a J&B account, which is most of them.

The biggest advantage of the EZ-3 over the Worksman models is the
greater gearing range. Low gears are useful on a trike, since they allow
one to climb steep grades with low pedal force, reducing the risk of
injury to leg joints and muscles.

The main concern with the EZ-3 (and any other trike) at your weight will
be the wheels. A good shop will insure adequate spoke tension and
"stress relieve" the spokes, which will greatly increase the durability
of the wheels (which are typically machine assembled).

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Check out the following:

http://www.americruiser.com/

The Tricruiser base model will accomodate up to 300 lbs but Sid (the
builder) has a heavy duty option which increases the weight that it can
support.

Each one is built individually and they are not expensive.

I recommend checking out the web site and then giving him a call.

Good luck.

Jeff

On Nov 24, 5:39 am, Arklier <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm thinking of asking 'Santa' for a trike for Christmas, but I'm
> having trouble finding one that can take my weight. I'm around 6'1"
> and weigh close to 350 pounds (one of the reasons I'm considering a
> trike is so I can get some of it off). Lots of trikes for smaller
> people around, but not too many for us that are on the heavier side.
> I'd ideally like to spend less than $1,000. It would just be for
> exercise and riding around on pavement. I considered a regular bike,
> but decided I'd prefer the extra storage space a trike provides.
>
> I drive a Nissan Versa, so while it has a lot of storage space for its
> size, it is still a very small car. So for a trike I would probably
> need a small trailer to take it anywhere, unless it was a folding
> model (which probably wouldn't fit in my price and weight range
> anyway).
>
> I've looked around a bit online and so far the only one I've found
> that is within my budget is the Worksman PAV3:
>
> http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/pav3.html
>
> Anyone have any opinions on this model, and are there any other trikes
> I should be looking at?

I am 6'2" and weigh 320 lbs. I have a worksman PAV3 3CB and I love
it. The PAV3 is heavy and well built. The spokes are 11 guage (big
and strong). It is great for around town. If you want to ride long
distances, I suggest you add a gasoline engine. You can read all
about these type engines on the forum"motorbikes.com or
motorbike.com. Also do a search for staton.com

This site sell kits for pav3. Oh yes I have the extended frame . I
think you will like it better as well as the 3 speed. Lots of luck.

[email protected] aka Billy Joe Clark wrote:
> I am 6'2" and weigh 320 lbs. I have a worksman PAV3 3CB and I love
> it. The PAV3 is heavy and well built. The spokes are 11 g[au]ge (big
> and strong)....

Is the rim sufficiently strong to allow normal tension levels in these
thicker than normal spokes? If not, they are worse for durability and
wheel strength than thinner spokes, as they will lose their pretension
at a lesser rim deflection than thinner spokes would.

The thicker spoke only really helps in fatigue resistance at the elbow,
which is why higher quality spokes are butted, to allow for a higher
strain in the straight portion of the spoke.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Dec 6, 8:12 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Billy Joe Clark wrote:

> > I am 6'2" and weigh 320 lbs. I have a worksman PAV3 3CB and I love
> > it. The PAV3 is heavy and well built. The spokes are 11 g[au]ge (big
> > and strong)....

> Is the rim sufficiently strong to allow normal tension levels in these
> thicker than normal spokes? If not, they are worse for durability and
> wheel strength than thinner spokes, as they will lose their pretension
> at a lesser rim deflection than thinner spokes would.
>
> The thicker spoke only really helps in fatigue resistance at the elbow,
> which is why higher quality spokes are butted, to allow for a higher
> strain in the straight portion of the spoke.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

The rims are 50% thicker than normal rims. I've heard nothing but
good things about worksman cycles. They have been business 100
years. Go to worksman.com and click on PAV 3.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 6, 8:12 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Billy Joe Clark wrote:

>>> I am 6'2" and weigh 320 lbs. I have a worksman PAV3 3CB and I love
>>> it. The PAV3 is heavy and well built. The spokes are 11 g[au]ge (big
>>> and strong)....

>> Is the rim sufficiently strong to allow normal tension levels in these
>> thicker than normal spokes? If not, they are worse for durability and
>> wheel strength than thinner spokes, as they will lose their pretension
>> at a lesser rim deflection than thinner spokes would.
>>
>> The thicker spoke only really helps in fatigue resistance at the elbow,
>> which is why higher quality spokes are butted, to allow for a higher
>> strain in the straight portion of the spoke.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
>> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
>> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
>> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

> The rims are 50% thicker than normal rims. I've heard nothing but
> good things about worksman cycles. They have been business 100
> years. Go to worksman.com and click on PAV 3.

How do the thicker rims compare to "normal" rims in moment of inertia?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

On Dec 7, 8:40 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Dec 6, 8:12 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> Is the rim sufficiently strong to allow normal tension levels in these
> >> thicker than normal spokes? If not, they are worse for durability and
> >> wheel strength than thinner spokes, as they will lose their pretension
> >> at a lesser rim deflection than thinner spokes would.

> >> The thicker spoke only really helps in fatigue resistance at the elbow,
> >> which is why higher quality spokes are butted, to allow for a higher
> >> strain in the straight portion of the spoke.

> >> --
> >> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> >> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
> >> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
> >> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

> > The rims are 50% thicker than normal rims. I've heard nothing but
> > good things about worksman cycles. They have been business 100
> > years. Go to worksman.com and click on PAV 3.

> How do the thicker rims compare to "normal" rims in moment of inertia?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

I am not going to debate this with you. If you wish to debate this,
contact worksman.com and advise them of your expertise. They may wish
to employ you in R & D.

[email protected] aka Billy Joe Clark wrote:
> On Dec 7, 8:40 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> The rims are 50% thicker than normal rims. I've heard nothing but
>>> good things about worksman cycles. They have been business 100
>>> years. Go to worksman.com and click on PAV 3.

>> How do the thicker rims compare to "normal" rims in moment of inertia?
>>

> I am not going to debate this with you. If you wish to debate this,
> contact worksman.com and advise them of your expertise. They may wish
> to employ you in R & D.

For the record, I am not claiming that the wheels on Worksman HPVs are
faulty. I was merely pointing out that the intuition that thicker spokes
make for stronger wheels may not be true. Since tension spoked wheels
are a prestressed structure, much of the conventional wisdom is incorrect.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

If you're REALLY looking for something to ride. Why not try GOING TO
A BIKE SHOP to see what they have to offer that just might work for
your weight and height???? Instead of posting trivial **** here.

I have found that if it works for YOU then RIDE IT and to hell with
everyone else.

I ride for the adventure, enjoyment, and meeting people along the way.

To worry about the small stuff....spokes, wheel width, etc. Is just
plain stupid. Find something that is comfortable for you. The post
here about your experiences.

Harry Brogan of Lincoln, Nebraska wrote:
> If you're REALLY looking for something to ride. Why not try GOING TO
> A BIKE SHOP to see what they have to offer that just might work for
> your weight and height???? Instead of posting trivial **** here.
>
> I have found that if it works for YOU then RIDE IT and to hell with
> everyone else.
>
> I ride for the adventure, enjoyment, and meeting people along the way.
>
> To worry about the small stuff....spokes, wheel width, etc. Is just
> plain stupid. Find something that is comfortable for you. The post
> here about your experiences.

Rim and spoke choice, spoke lacing pattern, spoke tension and assembly
methods are NOT trivial, unless you do not give a damn if your wheels
are durable/reliable.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Sherman could use a little self-awareness: according to Google,
through the morning of 12/9/07 the pencil neck has outposted me on
Usenet this month by a ratio of over 5.5-to-1. Now, who is it that has
nothing to do?

On Dec 9, 7:28 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 11:11 am, [email protected] wrote:

> >> I am not going to debate this with you. If you wish to debate this,
> >> contact worksman.com and advise them of your expertise. They may wish
> >> to employ you in R & D.

> > In Sherman's case, that would be "Removal & Disposal". ;-)

> Gee, I see I have a Usenet stalker - Ozark Bicycle who has never
> displayed any interest in trikes and recumbents looks for my posts on
> alt.rec.bicycle.recumbents, and then posts a snarky reply to
> rec.bicycles.tech. Doesn't this man have some customers' bicycles to fix
> in his garage?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Pencil-necked nerd

I'd send the video but no camera. Itsa trip! Instant beach. just add
100 people, 25 mill and Federal sand.
BRING YOUR STEAMER!

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Harry Brogan of Lincoln, Nebraska wrote:
>>> If you're REALLY looking for something to ride. Why not try GOING TO
>>> A BIKE SHOP to see what they have to offer that just might work for
>>> your weight and height???? Instead of posting trivial **** here.
>>>
>>> I have found that if it works for YOU then RIDE IT and to hell with
>>> everyone else.
>>>
>>> I ride for the adventure, enjoyment, and meeting people along the way.
>>>
>>> To worry about the small stuff....spokes, wheel width, etc. Is just
>>> plain stupid. Find something that is comfortable for you. The post
>>> here about your experiences.

>> Rim and spoke choice, spoke lacing pattern, spoke tension and assembly
>> methods are NOT trivial, unless you do not give a damn if your wheels are
>> durable/reliable.

> Cycling newsgroups need folks like Tom Sherman hanging around. He is an
> expert not only on the trivia of bicycles, but also on the big things about
> them. I suspect most of us rely on the manufacturers to get things right and
> we more or less take our bikes as given to us by them. However, it does not
> hurt to get input from real bike riders like Tom Sherman. Sometimes I think
> the bike manufacturers have never in their lives actually ridden a bicycle.

The bottom line on wheels is that most are machine built. While this can
save a lot in labor, unless several steps are taken to insure proper
spoke tension, no spoke windup, proper spoke line and either stress
relief or spoke bedding (this last point in controversial), the wheel
will likely not be reliable and durable, even if built with quality
parts. A good mechanic at a small manufacturer or LBS can do this final
work on a machine built wheel in a few minutes, saving the new bicycle
owner money and aggravation.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Dolan endorses Sherman! Birds of a feather.......

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Dolan endorses Sherman! Birds of a feather.......
>
> On Dec 9, 11:48 am, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Cycling newsgroups need folks like Tom Sherman hanging around.

Hey Ozark,

Where is the "0% Attitude" you advertise on your web-page?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

That does not apply to contentious, passive aggressive assholes like
you, Tom. That means there's more good 'tude for actual human beings.

On Dec 9, 4:24 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > Dolan endorses Sherman! Birds of a feather.......

> > On Dec 9, 11:48 am, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Cycling newsgroups need folks like Tom Sherman hanging around.

> Hey Ozark,
>
> Where is the "0% Attitude" you advertise on your web-page?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Whining, pencil-necked nerd

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:18:24 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Ed
>Dolan the Great is contentious, aggressive (but not passive agressive) and
>absolutely a grade A asshole

You could have stopped right there and covered it.

On Dec 10, 11:54 am, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:18:24 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ed
> >Dolan the Great is contentious, aggressive (but not passive agressive) and
> >absolutely a grade A asshole

> You could have stopped right there and covered it.

.....and been congratulated on being honest and having a high degree of
self-awareness!

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> That does not apply to contentious, passive aggressive assholes like
> you, Tom. That means there's more good 'tude for actual human beings.

I would be worried if Ozark Bicycle was complementing me. :)