Trike tour narrative + photos

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hello one and all: For those interested, I've recently completed a narrative with attendant photos
    or our rewarding but somewhat truncated winter tour. It can be found here:

    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?pics=small&doc_id=179

    Hope you like it. Note, however, that the mileage calculator seems to be whacked. Overall distance
    was about 500 miles.

    Cheers, Scott

    Tags:

  2. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Scott,

    Thanks as always. It was a great read.

    The "rough spot" that your stoker had reminds me of a conversation with my Grandfather. It was in my
    late teens and he tried to explain to me why women were stronger than men. I was scandalized. It
    could not be. Now - 40 years later, after 20 years in the Army, a tour in Vietnam, the illness and
    death of my own Father, under the care of my Mother - I am beginning to get a glimmer of what he was
    trying to get me to understand.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello one and all: For those interested, I've recently completed a narrative with attendant photos
    > or our rewarding but somewhat truncated winter tour. It can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?pics=small&doc_id=179
    >
    > Hope you like it. Note, however, that the mileage calculator seems to be whacked. Overall distance
    > was about 500 miles.
    >
    > Cheers, Scott

  3. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Interesting report. I know about maps getting one into trouble. I am not so brave to do it on
    a bike, but I have gone on some silly road trips because I thought some place looked
    interesting on a map.

    John Riley

  4. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    John Riley wrote:
    > Interesting report. I know about maps getting one into trouble. I am not so brave to do it on a
    > bike, but I have gone on some silly road trips because I thought some place looked interesting
    > on a map.
    >
    > John Riley

    Same here. If I see an interesting site mentioned on a map, chances are I'll find some excuse to
    go there. And, if I happen to stumble across a town, river, whatever named "Varney", sooner or
    later I'll go there. This past summer I visited Varney, Kentucky and Varney, West Virginia, all
    in the same day. I got fairly lost in the hills for a bit
    - wished I had my GPS then - but it was still worth the trip. And, I believe there's a Varney in
    Ontario, too, on the way up towards the Bruce peninsula. Maybe I'll bring my trike and do some
    riding while I'm up that way.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  5. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Larry Varney wrote:

    > And, I believe there's a Varney in Ontario, too, on the way up towards the Bruce peninsula.
    > Maybe I'll bring my trike and do some riding while I'm up that way.

    Are you coming up this way (Southern Ontario)? When? I am not too knowledgeable about the
    countryside, but I have been known to do customized tours of Toronto. You at least have to have a
    ferry ride out to the island for a spin.

    Seems to be stuff on the net, like:

    http://www.bikeontours.on.ca/list.htm#routes

    John Riley

  6. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    John Riley wrote:

    > Larry Varney wrote:
    >

    >> And, I believe there's a Varney in Ontario, too, on the way up towards the Bruce peninsula.
    >> Maybe I'll bring my trike and do some riding while I'm up that way.
    >>

    > Are you coming up this way (Southern Ontario)? When? I am not too knowledgeable about the
    > countryside, but I have been known to do customized tours of Toronto. You at least have to have a
    > ferry ride out to the island for a spin.
    >
    > Seems to be stuff on the net, like:
    >
    > http://www.bikeontours.on.ca/list.htm#routes
    >
    > John Riley

    It would be a while, probably summer. I was up in Ontario last year but didn't make it as far as
    Toronto before taking a hard left and making my way up to the Soo. Had I known that he Swift
    trikes were in Orillia (I think that's the name of the place), I would have stopped and taken a
    peek. And speaking of peeks, for anyone who likes watching birds, it's hard to beat Pt. Pelee
    around September. Another nice area to bike, and I'll have to remember and bring one along the
    next time I'm there.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  7. Never tour on a road that runs along a railroad track the goes through tunnels. It's far better to
    ride along canals.

    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi, Gary:

    Brother, you got that right. The women have a lot to teach us. All I've got to teach Jodi is that we
    really NEED a cool new tandem to fill out the collection! ;)

    Scott

    [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Scott,
    >
    > Thanks as always. It was a great read.
    >
    > The "rough spot" that your stoker had reminds me of a conversation with my Grandfather. It was in
    > my late teens and he tried to explain to me why women were stronger than men. I was scandalized.
    > It could not be. Now - 40 years later, after 20 years in the Army, a tour in Vietnam, the illness
    > and death of my own Father, under the care of my Mother - I am beginning to get a glimmer of what
    > he was trying to get me to understand.
    >
    > Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City
    >

    > [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hello one and all: For those interested, I've recently completed a narrative with attendant
    > > photos or our rewarding but somewhat truncated winter tour. It can be found here:
    > >
    > > http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?pics=small&doc_id=179
    > >
    > > Hope you like it. Note, however, that the mileage calculator seems to be whacked. Overall
    > > distance was about 500 miles.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Scott

  9. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > And, if I happen to stumble across a town, river, whatever named "Varney", sooner or later I'll
    > go there.

    Have you done any genealogy? Might make these trips more interesting. there are some towns named
    'Bearden', in TN, AL and (GA?). After a bit of research i find that I am related to the pioneers &
    residents of all three. It is getting easier all the time o do genealogy what with web resources.

    George Bearden

  10. Ol' Biker

    Ol' Biker Guest

    Varney is just a little south of Durham , Ontario. Not much there , A scrap yard, a small race
    track, acouple stores ,gas station,conservation area and there used to be a motel.

    "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > John Riley wrote:
    > > Interesting report. I know about maps getting one into trouble. I am not so brave to do it on a
    > > bike, but I have gone on some silly road trips because I thought some place looked interesting
    > > on a map.
    > >
    > > John Riley
    > >

    > Same here. If I see an interesting site mentioned on a map, chances are I'll find some excuse
    > to go there. And, if I happen to stumble across a town, river, whatever named "Varney", sooner
    > or later I'll go there. This past summer I visited Varney, Kentucky and Varney, West Virginia,
    > all in the same day. I got fairly lost in the hills for a bit
    > - wished I had my GPS then - but it was still worth the trip. And, I believe there's a Varney in
    > Ontario, too, on the way up towards the Bruce peninsula. Maybe I'll bring my trike and do some
    > riding while I'm up that way.
    >
    > --
    > Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Bill Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Never tour on a road that runs along a railroad track the goes through tunnels. It's far better to
    > ride along canals.

    Alas! Few canals in the Mojave desert. ;) Scott

  12. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Which island were you talking about? Toronto Island or Manitoulin?

    Coincidence, I was planning a 10-14 day tour, self-supported around Georgian Bay or a Trent-Severn
    waterway tour and was asking Toronto Biking Network members if they were interested.

    The round Georgian Bay looks nice. Collingwood, Tobermory, Manitoulin Island, Kilarney Provincial
    Park and a bunch of parks on the way back. Orillia -- Toronto.

    How long would you think that would take?

    "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Larry Varney wrote:
    >
    > > And, I believe there's a Varney in Ontario, too, on the way up towards the Bruce peninsula.
    > > Maybe I'll bring my trike and do some riding while I'm up that way.
    >
    > Are you coming up this way (Southern Ontario)? When? I am not too knowledgeable about the
    > countryside, but I have been known to do customized tours of Toronto. You at least have to have a
    > ferry ride out to the island for a spin.
    >
    > Seems to be stuff on the net, like:
    >
    > http://www.bikeontours.on.ca/list.htm#routes
    >
    > John Riley

  13. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    I am from Cobourg, Ontario. They rated it moderate to difficulty.

    I love biking in that area, but it seems like there are hills after hills. There is this one hill
    when you get over, you see a view of Rice Lake. I equate that view with what Moses must have seen
    when he reached the Promised Land.

    http://www.bikeontours.on.ca/list.htm#routes14to15

  14. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:

    > Which island were you talking about? Toronto Island or Manitoulin?
    >
    > Coincidence, I was planning a 10-14 day tour, self-supported around Georgian Bay or a Trent-Severn
    > waterway tour and was asking Toronto Biking Network members if they were interested.
    >
    > The round Georgian Bay looks nice. Collingwood, Tobermory,

    ...and while at Tobermory, you could go scuba diving and look at the various shipwrecks. I did. It
    is very cold, especially down around 60ft! The landscape in the area is beautiful.

    happy trails, rorschandt

  15. Bentjay

    Bentjay Guest

    Mit-picky point of information: Moses saw it, but never reached the Promised Land.

    BentJay

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    BentJay wrote:

    > Mit-picky point of information: Moses saw it, but never reached the > Promised Land.

    But then, Moses did not have a recumbent trike.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer