Trikes: Rotating tires/wheels?

Scott

Guest
Fellow Trike Riders: My wife and I ride a Greenspeed tandem, and I've noticed (duh) that the right
front tire wears more quickly than the left. Because we drive on the right side of the road here in
the US, this makes sense--more grit, roughness, etc. So I was thinking I should rotate tires--a
hassle. But would I have any problems if I just rotated the wheels, tires and all? They'd be
spinning in opposite directions with each rotation, but right now, I can't think of any problems.
Also, how often should one rotate? Advice appreciated. Thanks!

Scott GTT + Haluzak My wife, Jodi, rides a Terra Trike 3.3

On 8 Mar 2003 06:49:00 -0800, [email protected] (Scott) wrote:

>Fellow Trike Riders: My wife and I ride a Greenspeed tandem, and I've noticed (duh) that the right
>front tire wears more quickly than the left. Because we drive on the right side of the road here in
>the US, this makes sense--more grit, roughness, etc. So I was thinking I should rotate tires--a
>hassle. But would I have any problems if I just rotated the wheels, tires and all? They'd be
>spinning in opposite directions with each rotation, but right now, I can't think of any problems.
>Also, how often should one rotate? Advice appreciated.

If you have disc brakes, I think you might have to readjust the brake pad position. I have no idea
about drum brakes.

If you follow the manual strictly, you're not supposed to switch the wheels. The spokes are not
symmetric so it's stronger in one rotational direction than the other. If I remember correctly, the
spokes that attach to the inner side of the flange are stronger than those that come out the outer
surface, so the stronger ones need to be in tension when you apply the brake. (Someone please tell
me if this is correct!)

On 8 Mar 2003 06:49:00 -0800, [email protected] (Scott) wrote:

>Fellow Trike Riders: My wife and I ride a Greenspeed tandem, and I've noticed (duh) that the right
>front tire wears more quickly than the left. Because we drive on the right side of the road here in
>the US, this makes sense--more grit, roughness, etc. So I was thinking I should rotate tires--a
>hassle. But would I have any problems if I just rotated the wheels, tires and all? They'd be
>spinning in opposite directions with each rotation, but right now, I can't think of any problems.
>Also, how often should one rotate? Advice appreciated.

I believe that the wheels are marked left and right. It may have something to do with the way the
spokes are laced. On a greenspeed you can swap the tire and tube from side to side in just a minute
without even taking the wheels off the bike. It isn't a big job.

Charlie

[email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Fellow Trike Riders: My wife and I ride a Greenspeed tandem, and I've noticed (duh) that the right
> front tire wears more quickly than the left. Because we drive on the right side of the road here
> in the US, this makes sense--more grit, roughness, etc. So I was thinking I should rotate tires--a
> hassle. But would I have any problems if I just rotated the wheels, tires and all? They'd be
> spinning in opposite directions with each rotation, but right now, I can't think of any problems.
> Also, how often should one rotate? Advice appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Scott GTT + Haluzak My wife, Jodi, rides a Terra Trike 3.3

Although it might be a hassle, it might be easier to switch the tires instead of removing hubs and
all. I don't know about fenders/mudgaurds, since I also have a "naked" TerraTrike! (Chrome back
fender; at least!! So not totally naked!)

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

The wheels are marked? I certainly hope so, but I haven't looked - now I will. I remember looking at
the pictures on the Greenspeed online manual, about left and right wheels, and I really couldn't see
the difference. Now I know that there must have been, but I just didn't see it.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Interesting point, Charlie. Our GTT, however, has a new set of front wheels (I managed to crash it
once!), and we just had the LBS build up a new set--actually nicer, double-walled rims--and I'm sure
they guy was NOT thinking about left and right for trike use. They work fine, look good, etc. Any
worries here? Maybe I should email Greenspeed, but I'm inclined to leave them alone. They're a good,
solid set of wheels. As far as rotating tires vs. wheels, I guess I'll just deal with the tires and
tubes. It doesn't take that long. Thanks everyone.

Scott