Trimming muscle ...

3_days

Jul 13, 2005
I know most people complain about a lack of muscle ... I'm one of those guys who can really put on muscle weight fast ... I lifted weights in year's past and still have that upper body foundation - which I've been trying to cut down - even if I lift light weight, high reps or even slow and controlled, I make "bulky" muscle gains ...

I want to trim it down because I've been cycling a whole lot ... having large shoulders and chest isn't exactly stream-lining me through the wind ...

any suggestions ... :rolleyes: :confused: :cool: :)

I know it sounds stupid but I'm serious!!!

If you were recommending some way for a weightlifter to trim the muscle ... how is it done ?????

I've tried focusing on high aerobic intensity stuff but I'm still carrying a bunch of upper body muscle from weightraining ...

3_days said:
I know it sounds stupid but I'm serious!!!

If you were recommending some way for a weightlifter to trim the muscle ... how is it done ?????

I've tried focusing on high aerobic intensity stuff but I'm still carrying a bunch of upper body muscle from weightraining ...
Stop lifting even light weights.

Sometimes it is just too tough to overcome genetics.

If you have a naturally wide shoulders and large rib cage there is obviously not much you can do about that, but you can reduce the chances of muscle hypertrophy and possibly go into muscular atrophy through either a lack of training specific areas or overtraining areas. However, if you respond positively to almost any stimuli than training that particular area will not be the trick. I have been around top level bodybuilders that grow no matter what they do. They seem to defy most physiological principles.

However, if you leaned more toward the genetics of a hard gainer and desired to reduce muscle mass you could try training with intensity and have your protein intake toward the lower ratio, but again with great mesomorph type genetics muscle atrophy still may not occur.

Do not train your upper body with weights, eat toward the lower number of calories (especially protein) and just focus on bike training. See what happens over a longer period of time.

Since I do not know much about you I will not state my opinion on macro nutrient ratios for you specifically. It can be a trial and error type thing.
For instance I use upward to 1.8 gram protein per lb. of bodyweight, but you may consider less.

Thanks Felt ... awesome response --- I agree on genetics, my slow twitch muscle systems are freakish ... my chest is especially quick to respond to any weight training ...

but it's been a problem for cycling ... I'm not being in any way pretentious with this post ... I hafta spend a lot of energy working from the drops to get through the wind ... it's also tough on the lower back ... Interestingly, in cycling harder at this point in the year, I'm actually gaining weight again but pushing better times (same thing happened last year)

Regarding diet: I've limited (somewhat) protein and I have always, even when weight-training, gone the high quality carb route ... Unfortunately, I'm a BIG non-fat milk drinker (gallon a day) and it would be tough to limit the usual intake, even slightly limiting the dairy intake makes me feel slow on the bike. Any recommendations for substitutions are welcomed though- but I really love milk.

try swimming? i've just started it and im really toning down. i also used to work out too (4-5 days a week). I just dont want that upper body bulk anymore.

3_days said:
1... my chest is especially quick to respond to any weight training ...

2...I hafta spend a lot of energy working from the drops to get through the wind ... it's also tough on the lower back ...

3...I've limited (somewhat) protein and I have always, even when weight-training, gone the high quality carb route ... Unfortunately, I'm a BIG non-fat milk drinker (gallon a day) and it would be tough to limit the usual intake, even slightly limiting the dairy intake makes me feel slow on the bike. Any recommendations for substitutions are welcomed though- but I really love milk.

1. I have the same response with my legs and I hate it (female). MASSive. I agree with a few of the others: do not train your upper body with anything other than bodyweight.

2. (a) A smaller handlebar may help with wind resistance. (b) We all have to work hard against the wind...maybe you're just fine and simply irritated with your body. (c) Abs, pushups and back extensions will allieviate back strain, as well as your body will eventually adapt to the biomechanics. (d) Re-check your fit.

3. As you are aware, casein is terrific for muscle growth. If you want to discourage muscle development, you're going to have to replace your current eating behavior. Replace your milk with a gallon of water a day and get your milk fix pre and post workout (along with your protein powder). It takes 21 days to make a habit, so approach your substitution by using a step-by-step method: substitute one cup of water for one cup of milk on the first day, then 1.5 to 2 cups on day two, etc. In any event, you're going to have to ride out the cravings...they're only messages sent by a brain that believes it requires milk because you forced it to adapt to the amount you have been ingesting.

Try different cardio. Jogging/Running 50+ minutes several times a week will help. Running is great cross-training for biking (especially for off the saddle work). The suggestion to swim is not a good idea in my opinion. Swimming develops the upper body.

Idea: Perhaps martial arts hand movement exercises will help. These are non-weight bearing, high intensity cardio workouts. Although you will see definition, you will most likely reduce mass.

K, that's all I've got. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the posts ... here's my take so far ...

I've my limited my milk intake somewhat ... I avoid it pre-workout and drink some after ... I already drink so much water that it's almost difficult to think about drinking more of it. But a good suggestion for sure.

Swimming is something I've done in the past and I've found that, when I do focus on swimming, I sit right at my current body weight nicely and I feel VERY strong in my shoulders and back - but I do retain upper body mass when swimming because I'm too undisciplined to focus on legs when I swim ...

My "new" running program started yesterday and I'm such an IDIOT for not thinking of it before ... I'm targeting a certain percentage of miles/km as a mandate from cycling to running ... In other words, if I ride 20m, I must run, say, 20% (4m) on top of that. I'm not sure where the final % will end up but I will be emphasizing it. Either way, and if nothing else, I believe my body hates carrying any extra weight when running due to the impact on the joints.

Finally, I'm also working with some circuit training which is emphasized in college ice hockey, pre-season dryland training. In those days, I recall that the circuit training really cut my muscles down to size even though I continued to lift during that period. This type of workout emphasizes light weights, small sprints and lunges, jumps, jump rope, etc., for maximum intervals of 20 seconds on/off through 25-30 different exercises.

As always, any further input is appreciated and I'm hoping for some good results.

3_days said:
My "new" running program started yesterday and I'm such an IDIOT for not thinking of it before ... I'm targeting a certain percentage of miles/km as a mandate from cycling to running ... In other words, if I ride 20m, I must run, say, 20% (4m) on top of that. I'm not sure where the final % will end up but I will be emphasizing it. Either way, and if nothing else, I believe my body hates carrying any extra weight when running due to the impact on the joints.

I'd caution jumping into running at that effort after a long break. I know it's kinda hard to accept, but you must start SLOW and build up....ugh, that means the dreadfully slow paced walk/jog during the first week.

Here's two links for you to explore. Hope it helps: www.coolrunning.com and www.runnersworld.com. I prefer coolrunning for its pace calculator function and low key, practical approach. But rw seems to have a bunch of training ideas.

Re: Running: I didn't have any problems yesterday or today ... I play tennis 5x a week so my body is regularly used to the impact of running. The point I should have made more clear is that I'm scaling down my cycling to devote more time for running- so, basically, on my heavy cycling days, I'll cut the bike ride shorter to account for more time "on the run."

Another thing I guess I should've mentioned is that I'm not looking for drastic weight loss - my goal is to get from about 175 down to 160 or 165 (probably better at 165 truthfully, but if I can get the watts at 160, I'd like to try). It's always those last few lbs that are the most stubborn.

One last point I missed from earlier - I'm awfully bad at "quieting" my upper body! I'm definitely guilty of leaning heavily on my arms and torque-ing the bike with my upper half. I've messed with positioning and still find that I look for opportunities to use my arms a lot (I know, it's totally bad form to habitually do it!). I wonder if my chest, tri's and shoulders are getting some stimulus from riding ...

Thanks!

3_days said:
...I wonder if my chest, tri's and shoulders are getting some stimulus from riding ...
Of course they are. The handlebars + your torso = gravitational pressure point at wrist/heel of palm. When climbing or pedaling fast in aerodynamic position, you pull on handlebars = chest, delts, bis and tris, traps. When riding flat, you support your torso's weight with all major torso muscles.

In sum, you're always working upper body muscles.

And speaking of always working upper body muscles; you're playing tennis five times a week.