Trip planning: NM, CO, UT

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trekkie Dad, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New Mexico,
    Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain bike along and
    will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.

    We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass through
    Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have some
    flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.

    Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to meet for
    a ride would be even better.

    If you have contact infomation that you don't want posted to the group, feel free to use email.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Trekkie Dad thoughtfully penned:
    > After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New Mexico,
    > Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain bike along
    > and will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.
    >
    > We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass
    > through Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have
    > some flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.
    >
    > Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to meet
    > for a ride would be even better.
    >
    > If you have contact infomation that you don't want posted to the group, feel free to use email.
    >
    > TD

    for the non-rider....

    must drive the Burr trail to Escalante, ,and do some day hikes thorugh there... spectacular.
    http://www.ut.blm.gov/monument/ Grand stair case info.

    It's going to be hot.

    Penny

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New Mexico,
    > Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain bike along
    > and will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.
    >
    > We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass
    > through Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have
    > some flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.
    >
    > Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to meet
    > for a ride would be even better.
    >
    > If you have contact infomation that you don't want posted to the group, feel free to use email.
    >
    > TD
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    > http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

    Like Penny said. It will be very hot. Go high whenever possible. I was going to recommend
    Farmington, but it may be just too damn hot that time of year. Craig should be able to line out
    appropriate Durango rides. Fruita will also be hot, so something like Grand Mesa might get you
    out of it a little. I think there's some freak from around there who may be able to give more
    detail. That time of year, my 'hood is the place to be. Climb up and out of the heat to a nice
    cool breeze at 12,000 + Ft. It's very refreshing! LMK if you can swing it this far, but it seems
    unlikely based on your plans. I also know some good stuff around Taos, but again that may be too
    far out of your way.

    Matt

  4. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > for the non-rider....
    >
    > must drive the Burr trail to Escalante, ,and do some day hikes thorugh there... spectacular.
    > http://www.ut.blm.gov/monument/ Grand stair case info.
    >
    > It's going to be hot.

    Thanks for the info. I know it's going to be hot. We were in Cortez, Valley of the Gods, and
    Monument Valley about the same time last year.

    I'm no stranger to summer heat, having lived in California's central valley most of my life.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  5. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Like Penny said. It will be very hot. Go high whenever possible. I was going to recommend
    > Farmington, but it may be just too damn hot that time of year. Craig should be able to line out
    > appropriate Durango rides. Fruita will also be hot, so something like Grand Mesa might get you out
    > of it a little. I think there's some freak from around there who may be able to give more detail.
    > That time of year, my 'hood is the place to be. Climb up and out of the heat to a nice cool breeze
    > at 12,000 + Ft. It's very refreshing! LMK if you can swing it this far, but it seems unlikely
    > based on your plans. I also know some good stuff around Taos, but again that may be too far out of
    > your way.

    I've already been in contact with Craig. I'm hoping to get to meet him. I haven't contacted the
    Fruita Freak yet, but I plan to. (JD, if you're reading this, drop me a line.)

    On the 12th we have a long drive from Whites City, NM to Chama. (That is, if I can get reservations
    there.) I forget--what's your 'hood?

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New
    > > Mexico, Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain
    > > bike along and will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.
    > >
    > > We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass
    > > through Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have
    > > some flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.
    > >
    > > Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to meet
    > > for a ride would be even better.
    > >
    > > If you have contact infomation that you don't want posted to the group, feel free to use email.
    > >
    > > TD
    > >
    > > --
    > > [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    > > http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request
    >
    > Fruita will also be hot, so something like Grand Mesa might get you out of it a little. I think
    > there's some freak from around there who may be able to give more detail.

    I'll be in and out of town a lot this Summer, so I'll drop you a line TD. Also, the infamous TJ
    has some of the good high stuff dialed-in and I'll be assisting his range of knowledge more in the
    near future.

    JD

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    > On the 12th we have a long drive from Whites City, NM to Chama. (That is, if I can get
    > reservations there.) I forget--what's your 'hood?
    >
    > TD

    I'm in Gunnison. Crested Butte is just up the road a bit.

    Looks like it would be 4-5 Hours out of your way. Probably not worth it unless you have a lot of
    time (and you family are very understanding).

    You actually won't be too far from Taos on that route. There's tons of galleries and shopping, and
    one of the greatest trails in North America there (I'm told - haven't ridden them all yet). If you
    can convince the family to go to Taos, be sure to ride the South Boundary Trail. The rafting
    companies run shuttles (or you can do your own) and the route is not hard to find. The trail is 28
    Miles or so of some of the finest singletrack I've ridden. I can give more info if you can make it
    over there.

    Matt

  8. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > On the 12th we have a long drive from Whites City, NM to Chama. (That is, if I can get
    > > reservations there.) I forget--what's your 'hood?
    > >
    > > TD
    >
    > I'm in Gunnison. Crested Butte is just up the road a bit.
    >
    > Looks like it would be 4-5 Hours out of your way. Probably not worth it unless you have a lot of
    > time (and you family are very understanding).
    >
    > You actually won't be too far from Taos on that route. There's tons of galleries and shopping, and
    > one of the greatest trails in North America there (I'm told - haven't ridden them all yet). If you
    > can convince the family to go to Taos, be sure to ride the South Boundary Trail. The rafting
    > companies run shuttles (or you can do your own) and the route is not hard to find. The trail is 28
    > Miles or so of some of the finest singletrack I've ridden. I can give more info if you can make it
    > over there.
    >
    > Matt

    Well, I'll just have to revise the itinerary, then! :)

    Two summers in a row touring the desert Southwest are about all my wife can take. She wants a
    promise to travel to cooler places next summer.

    TD (So many trails--so little time)

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  9. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New
    > > > Mexico, Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain
    > > > bike along and will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.
    > > >
    > > > We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass
    > > > through Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have
    > > > some flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.
    > > >
    > > > Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to
    > > > meet for a ride would be even better.
    > > >
    > > > If you have contact infomation that you don't want posted to the group, feel free to use
    > > > email.
    > > >
    > > > TD
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    > > > http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request
    > >
    > > Fruita will also be hot, so something like Grand Mesa might get you out of it a little. I think
    > > there's some freak from around there who may be able to give more detail.
    >
    > I'll be in and out of town a lot this Summer, so I'll drop you a line TD. Also, the infamous TJ
    > has some of the good high stuff dialed-in and I'll be assisting his range of knowledge more in the
    > near future.
    >
    > JD

    "It's all good," as they say, JD. If you're around when I pass through, I'd consider it good fortune
    to meet you. If not, at least I'll see a place or two that I've only seen before in photographs.

    Tentative arrival date in Fruita: July 15 or 16.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  10. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > After visiting family in southern NN, my wife and I will be doing some sightseeing in New Mexico,
    > Colorado, and Utah before heading home. She doesn't ride, but I will have my mountain bike along
    > and will be looking for places to ride and people to ride with.
    >
    > We'll be Chama, NM July 13 and 14. From there we plan to head for Durango, CO and will pass
    > through Fruita, on to Capitol Reef, UT, and taking the scenic route (Hwy 12) to Bryce. We have
    > some flexibility in the itinerary, as long as we are home in NorCal by July 20.
    >
    > Any tips on what to see and where to ride along this route would be appreciated. Offers to meet
    > for a ride would be even better.

    If you are traveling up I-25 from the south, and you can swing a couple of hours in Socorro, I'd be
    glad to show you around some of mountians in this area. We have a good 6,000 ft. to 10,000 ft. climb
    with a couple of possible single track descents.

    By the way if you decide to take the Burr Trail, consider going up the Moki Dugway, and crossing
    Lake Powell at Hall's Crossing. That'll put you at the GLCA end of the Burr Trail.

    http://imagesoftheworld.org/GrandCircle/Moki.html

    http://www.nps.gov/glca/burrtr.htm

  11. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Reco
    Diver) wrote:

    > If you are traveling up I-25 from the south, and you can swing a couple of hours in Socorro, I'd
    > be glad to show you around some of mountians in this area. We have a good 6,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.
    > climb with a couple of possible single track descents.
    >
    > By the way if you decide to take the Burr Trail, consider going up the Moki Dugway, and crossing
    > Lake Powell at Hall's Crossing. That'll put you at the GLCA end of the Burr Trail.
    >
    > http://imagesoftheworld.org/GrandCircle/Moki.html
    >
    > http://www.nps.gov/glca/burrtr.htm

    Thanks for the invite. We drove up I-25 last year from Hatch to just short of Albuquerque on our way
    from Deming to Cortez, CO, but our route this year doesn't take us through Socorro. Damn!

    Funny you should mention the Moki Dugway. Last year we spent 4 nights at the Valley of the Gods B&B,
    and two of the days I rode my bike up the Moki Dugway before breakfast. The second time I was a
    little late for breakfast because I kept going all the way to Muley Point. (Didn't take nearly as
    long to ride down Moki Dugway, though!)

    Claire and Gary at the B&B were great hosts. They gave us great advice as to what to see and what to
    skip. I wouldn't mind staying there again on a future trip.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  12. "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, I've already been in contact with Craig. I'm
    > hoping to get to meet him. I haven't contacted the Fruita Freak yet, but I plan to. (JD, if you're
    > reading this, drop me a line.)
    >
    > On the 12th we have a long drive from Whites City, NM to Chama. (That is, if I can get
    > reservations there.) I forget--what's your 'hood?
    >
    > TD
    >
    > --
    > [email protected]com World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    > http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

    Sorry TD, I'm a little behind right now, off on business last week. I'll get back to you.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)