Trip report, and personal goal reached.

krys

Guest
Hi folks,

Today I achieved one of my goals....and felt the need to share, as you do.

The weather forecast was good, so I thought "carpe diem", donned all my new
Aldi winter gear, looked at the map, rang my Dad, and set off. I went from
Axbridge, over through Bleadon to Uphill, all the way along the windy
seafront at Weston, to Kewstoke, and round and back...to the A370 to
Congresbury, where I took the usual left turn, through Yatton, then cut
across to Clevedon, before taking the long drag past the golf course up to
where my parents live in Portishead. I arrived around 11:20, having done 30
miles in a bit over 2 hours...and I was already a bit pooped. Still, a
restorative cup of coffee, a bowl of fruit & fibre (as I'd realised that at
this rate, lunch was going to be late...), and a good natter...and I was
ready to go again.

So, down into Portishead, along to Portbury, over the M5, up the long slog
to Failand, a right turn to get me to heading off and down a steep and curvy
Wraxall hill, down to Nailsea, then Backwell, back along the A370 to
Congresbury (very circular), then left, back to Churchill, Sandford, then to
Winscombe, through the Strawberry Line tunnel (humming to keep the troll at
bay), and home around 2ish.

Total cycling time : 3 hrs 50 minutes. Average speed 14 mph. Total
distance covered.....54.19 miles. Yep - I did it, I made my 50 mile goal :)
Hurrah!

I be a bit knackered now though...but actually, not too bad as I could be,
so that's good. And I be feeling a tad proud of meself too, so there :)

krys
still cycling in zummerset

krys wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Today I achieved one of my goals....and felt the need to share, as you do.
> Total cycling time : 3 hrs 50 minutes. Average speed 14 mph. Total
> distance covered.....54.19 miles. Yep - I did it, I made my 50 mile goal :)
> Hurrah!
>
> I be a bit knackered now though...but actually, not too bad as I could be,
> so that's good. And I be feeling a tad proud of meself too, so there :)

And you should be proud of yourself. Well done!

You'll be on Audax rides soon... There is an easy one on dartmoor
fairly soon;-)

...d

nice one. Before an audax, I suggest a celebratory pint ...

today I managed a miserable 150 yards to the postbox and back. :) (to
check a slightly dusty steed ready for Thursdays commute)

Phil Clarke wrote:
> nice one. Before an audax, I suggest a celebratory pint ...
>
> today I managed a miserable 150 yards to the postbox and back. :) (to
> check a slightly dusty steed ready for Thursdays commute)

Well on the same note as the "need to share"...

Well, I've had a cycle on and off since I was 9, I guess...
I grew up with yorkshire hills and mountain bikes, but never took
cycling seriously when I was younger.
Bought a halfords job when I was 18, and got into a daily commute of 5
miles (25 minutes) across milton keynes, and my next bike was a full
suspension Claud Butler, which didn't outlast my enthusiasm for jumping
off stairways <the bearings wore out in the cranks>.

At that point, I changed to a motorcycle and covered about 50,000 miles
in 3 years, about 25,000 of which is leisure touring.

Today <age 25>, I can no longer justify the costs of a motorbike, so a
year ago I got a Claud Butler Cape Wrath - double disc - which I was
very happy with, but as I live in London these days it didn't really
suit the roads and there isn't too much /legal/ off-roading. I
outfitted it with slick road tyres, and it still didn't really suit.

Perhaps to my benefit, it was stolen from Victoria Station earlier this
year.
So after some saving and <precious little> research, I bought a Giant
OCR 2 from Ebay.

To give you an idea, I've had the bike a week, and I've done 220 miles
since.

Saturday, I was working, but I did get a little jaunt around town, just
to pass time, but Sunday I got out onto the roads, and did 25 miles
upto Redbourn <near St Albans>, in an hour and 20 <including traffic
light stops>, had a pub lunch, and did the trip back in not too shabby
order.

I have decided to start cycling more, to see how much I can get out of
it.

Last night I got out of work at 7pm <a 10 hour day> and got home, had a
drink, and got out of the house at 8, and shot up to Watford, swung
round the ring road and came straight home, still stopping for traffic
lights, at an average speed of 19.2 miles an hour, and a time of 1 hour
20. Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

So, readers, can you recommend a cycling club local to Brent
Cross/Edgware, and can you give your comments?

Thanks

Chris

krys wrote:

> So, down into Portishead,

Any sign of the new album when you were passing?
Next time how about an "Oy! Geoff! Get on with it!"

> Total cycling time : 3 hrs 50 minutes. Average speed 14 mph.
> Total distance covered.....54.19 miles. Yep - I did it, I made my 50 mile goal :)

Sounds like a hilly 50, how much dénivellement did you do, like?

On 4 Oct 2006 22:43:52 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

<snip>

>So after some saving and <precious little> research, I bought a Giant
>OCR 2 from Ebay.

Nice.

>To give you an idea, I've had the bike a week, and I've done 220 miles
>since.

Excellent.

>Saturday, I was working, but I did get a little jaunt around town, just
>to pass time, but Sunday I got out onto the roads, and did 25 miles
>upto Redbourn <near St Albans>, in an hour and 20 <including traffic
>light stops>, had a pub lunch, and did the trip back in not too shabby
>order.
>
>I have decided to start cycling more, to see how much I can get out of
>it.
>
>Last night I got out of work at 7pm <a 10 hour day> and got home, had a
>drink, and got out of the house at 8, and shot up to Watford, swung
>round the ring road and came straight home, still stopping for traffic
>lights, at an average speed of 19.2 miles an hour, and a time of 1 hour
>20. Not too shabby, if I say so myself.

Not too shabby at all.

>So, readers, can you recommend a cycling club local to Brent
>Cross/Edgware, and can you give your comments?

Not being very good at Norf Lunnon geography, how far is Willesden
from you? A huge, active club, meets at Wembley. See
<http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk/>

Tim

<[email protected]> wrote

> So, readers, can you recommend a cycling club local to Brent
> Cross/Edgware, and can you give your comments?

The Cyclists Touring Club's West London District Association has an
Edgware section. Their list of rides,(runs list) should be on the
internet. Co to www.ctc.org.uk , follow the menus, and check out
their details.

A couple of branches of the London Cycling Campaign do regular rides,
although perhaps you might find them a bit slow for you. The Brent
and Barnet branches do rides, but I'm not sure about the Harrow
branch. Anyway, check them out on www.lcc.org.uk

If you ever feel like going further afield, check out the rides done
under the name of Audax UK www.audax.uk.net

Jeremy Parker

"sothach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

krys wrote:

>> So, down into Portishead,

>Any sign of the new album when you were passing?
>Next time how about an "Oy! Geoff! Get on with it!"

Nope - I was too cheerful to be considering that kinda doom & gloom stuff...

>> Total cycling time : 3 hrs 50 minutes. Average speed 14 mph.
>> Total distance covered.....54.19 miles. Yep - I did it, I made my 50
>> mile goal :)

>Sounds like a hilly 50, how much dénivellement did you do, like?

I'm afraid "dénivellement" is passing me by.....but if you mean, how hilly
was it - well, pretty really. Somerset ain't as flat as people like to
think you know. Well, apart from the Levels of course.... Or maybe my
average speed just ain't up to much.....will try harder next time ;)

krys