Trip Report - Blairadam Forest

Brian

Guest
11 Mile cycle around Blairadam Forest today.

Very enjoyable, starting to become a lot more confident on my Claud Butler
Cape Wrath, although I'm probably still slowing down too much on descents.

GPS Tracklog:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/BrianInnes/blairadam.jpg

Only problem was on the return route my rear derailleur starting doing
ghost shifts. Oh, and the front brake squeels which is amplified by the
front shock!

Good days riding though - some photos to follow.

regards

--
Brian

in message <[email protected]>, Brian
('[email protected]') wrote:

> 11 Mile cycle around Blairadam Forest today.
>
> Very enjoyable, starting to become a lot more confident on my Claud
> Butler Cape Wrath, although I'm probably still slowing down too much
> on descents.
>
> GPS Tracklog:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/BrianInnes/blairadam.jpg
>
> Only problem was on the return route my rear derailleur starting doing
> ghost shifts.

Don't worry about this - a bit of stretch in new cables is normal. If
you haven't yet had the free six-week checkover that most good bike
shops offer, it will be fixed at this. Alternatively, put the bike on a
stand or hang it from the ceiling; change gear (pedalling) to set the
chain on the middle ring at the front and a middle-ish cog at the back;
and turn the adjuster through which the control cable enters the rear
deraileur until the deraileur cage is perfectly aligned with the cog.
It's probable that you will at least initially have to adjust
counter-clockwise. It may help to pedal as you adjust; the chain will
be quietest when perfectly adjusted.

> Oh, and the front brake squeels which is amplified by
> the front shock!

Clean the braking surface of the disk or rim with meths. If you have V
brakes, the problem may also be toe-in of the blocks. The rear end of
the brake shoes (nearest the back of the bike) should be slightly
closer to the rim than the front end. Finally, some brake block
compounds just do squeal. Provided the brakes stop you smoothly and
reliably without juddering, you may just need to put up with it.

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

Get your'sell up too Auchtermuchty ... up by the Deer Farm .. some good
trails there

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 11 Mile cycle around Blairadam Forest today.
>
> Very enjoyable, starting to become a lot more confident on my Claud Butler
> Cape Wrath, although I'm probably still slowing down too much on descents.
>
> GPS Tracklog:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/BrianInnes/blairadam.jpg
>
> Only problem was on the return route my rear derailleur starting doing
> ghost shifts. Oh, and the front brake squeels which is amplified by the
> front shock!
>
> Good days riding though - some photos to follow.
>
> regards
>
> --
> Brian

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in news:268fv1-shm.ln1
@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk:

> Don't worry about this - a bit of stretch in new cables is normal. If
> you haven't yet had the free six-week checkover that most good bike
> shops offer, it will be fixed at this. Alternatively, put the bike on a
> stand or hang it from the ceiling; change gear (pedalling) to set the
> chain on the middle ring at the front and a middle-ish cog at the back;
> and turn the adjuster through which the control cable enters the rear
> deraileur until the deraileur cage is perfectly aligned with the cog.
> It's probable that you will at least initially have to adjust
> counter-clockwise. It may help to pedal as you adjust; the chain will
> be quietest when perfectly adjusted.

Think I've seen the problem. As I was cleaning the bike up a little I saw
that one of the links on the chain has almost opened up - seems the chain
rivet has worked its way loose, only half of the chain link is attatched...

Time to phone the bike shop - shouldn't have to be getting a new chain on a
1 week old bike!

On 20 Aug 2004 15:08:56 GMT, Brian wrote:

> Time to phone the bike shop - shouldn't have to be getting a new chain on a
> 1 week old bike!

It happens. It happened to me (well, after 4 weeks probably).
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 20 Aug 2004 15:08:56 GMT, Brian wrote:
>

>> Time to phone the bike shop - shouldn't have to be getting a new
>> chain on a 1 week old bike!

> It happens. It happened to me (well, after 4 weeks probably).

True, still rather annoying though - anyway, phoned the shop, said they
would sort it, so I'll take the bike along first thing (and purchase a
spare chain too!)

--
Brian

Brian <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> True, still rather annoying though - anyway, phoned the shop, said they
> would sort it, so I'll take the bike along first thing (and purchase a
> spare chain too!)

Oh, got the bike sorted, they removed the bad link - seems to be OK now.

--
Brian