Trip Suggestions



J

Josh

Guest
Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do some much needed riding. Any suggestions that
are somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut? I'd like to head out west, but
family/money/work prohibit anything longer than a long weekend and I really don't want to ship my
bike out for a few days of riding.

Ideally, I'd like to camp, be within riding/short drive of riding areas. Lemme know what you all
think, or if I need to supply more details.

Thanks,

Josh
 
R

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Josh wrote:
> Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do some much needed riding. Any suggestions
> that are somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut? I'd like to head out west, but
> family/money/work prohibit anything longer than a long weekend and I really don't want to ship my
> bike out for a few days of riding.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to camp, be within riding/short drive of riding areas. Lemme know what you all
> think, or if I need to supply more details.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Look out your window buddy. Connecticut is surrounded by states with mountains! Let's see
Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maine are all within a day, have
many campsites, and great riding terrain. You could even go south to West Virginia and Kentucky
within a day.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
 
B

B A R R Y

Guest
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:01:49 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot"
<[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:

>
>
>Josh wrote:
>> Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do some much needed riding. Any suggestions
>> that are somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut?

Not to mention that there's some pretty awesome, yet unpublicized, riding in CT. <G>

Barry
 
J

Josh

Guest
"B a r r y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:01:49 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Josh wrote:
> >> Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do some much needed riding. Any suggestions
> >> that are somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut?
>
> Not to mention that there's some pretty awesome, yet unpublicized, riding in CT. <G>
>
> Barry
>

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, there's no question the riding up here is world class.
Problem lies in the fact that I've been riding it for almost twenty years. I've ridden all over
Massachusetts, where I grew up. Spent allot of time in NH and VT and then Maine, along with the
greater Albany area in NY where we have some friends. For the past five years I've been living in CT
riding pretty much every publicized and "secret" trail I hear about.

I figure it's time to branch out. I like the idea of West Virginia or KY, but the problem is I have
no idea where to go to find some riding, that's why I called on the experience of the group.

Plus, it's always nice to get away for a coupe days.

J
 
R

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Josh wrote:
> "B a r r y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:01:49 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Josh wrote:
>>>> Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do some much needed riding. Any suggestions
>>>> that are somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut?
>>
>> Not to mention that there's some pretty awesome, yet unpublicized, riding in CT. <G>
>>
>> Barry
>>
>
> I'm not disagreeing with either of you, there's no question the riding up here is world class.
> Problem lies in the fact that I've been riding it for almost twenty years. I've ridden all over
> Massachusetts, where I grew up. Spent allot of time in NH and VT and then Maine, along with the
> greater Albany area in NY where we have some friends. For the past five years I've been living in
> CT riding pretty much every publicized and "secret" trail I hear about.
>
> I figure it's time to branch out. I like the idea of West Virginia or KY, but the problem is I
> have no idea where to go to find some riding, that's why I called on the experience of the group.
>
> Plus, it's always nice to get away for a coupe days.
>
> J

Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. 120 miles of trails and great amenities.

Monongahela National Forest - Huge! You'll need to camp out though.

I'm not sure of Kentucky areas, I have not spent much time there. But with the Blue Mountains,
there has to be a **** load of trails. Just watch out for the local hicks, they don't like Yanks
very much.
 
J

Josh

Guest
"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia. 120 miles of trails and great amenities.
>
> Monongahela National Forest - Huge! You'll need to camp out though.
>
> I'm not sure of Kentucky areas, I have not spent much time there. But
with
> the Blue Mountains, there has to be a **** load of trails. Just watch out for the local hicks,
> they don't like Yanks very much.
>

Good stuff, I'll take a look at Snowshoe.

J
 
D

D H

Guest
"Josh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking to get away for a few days this spring and do
> some much needed riding. Any suggestions that are
> somewhat close, within a days drive, to Connecticut? I'd
> like to head out west, but family/money/work prohibit
> anything longer than a long weekend and I really don't
> want to ship my
bike
> out for a few days of riding.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to camp, be within riding/short drive of
> riding areas. Lemme know what you all think, or if I need
> to supply more details.

Best place I can suggest is where I do probably 80% of
my riding, Douthat State Park, (
www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/douthat.htm ) just outside of
Clifton Forge, VA, 4 miles from exit 27 off I-64. You
can camp right there in the park, or at The Buckhorne
Campground and Country Store, just outside the park
(www.buckhorne.com) or camp free in national forest
bounding the north side of the park. This is a fast
growing bike destination because it gives you easy
access to lots of great, well-marked trails in a very
natural setting. There are 40 miles of trails in the
park, with lots more connected national forest trails
surrounding it. Pretty well maintained trails as far as
downed trees etc goes, and fantastically fun if you
enjoy climbing and descending. Two ridges and the valley
between them make up the park, and trails climb either
ridge and run along the top before descending. Climbs
are anywhere from a mile (to the lower traverse trails)
to 2 miles topping the lower elevation ridge, or 3 to
4.5 miles climbing the higher elevation ridge (3150')
depending on which trail you choose. XC racing takes
place here in May, covering both ridges, and no one I
have ever heard of has anything but praise for the
trails here. Once you try it, you will want to come
back, I guarantee it.

--
D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)