Trip To Hawaii

jrschultz

Jan 6, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I thought it would most apply in here. My wife and I will be leaving for a 2 week vacation in Hawaii this coming Friday. We'll be spending 6 days in Oahu and 8 days in Maui. I'm looking for advice on what roads to ride, fun rides to take, where to rent a road bike, etc. This is my first trip to Hawaii and all tips are appreciated. One trip I plan to take in Maui is the down hill ride from Haleakala summit.

Reactions: Damien Lee
CAMPYBOB said:
There's no advice I could offer.

But, I still hate you. ;)
This has been a trip three years in the making. My wife and I have been saving for three years to celebrate our ten year anniversary properly.

jrschultz said:
One trip I plan to take in Maui is the down hill ride from Haleakala summit.
But the fun and accomplishment is riding "up" a summit. :huh:

"My wife and I have been saving for three years to celebrate our ten year anniversary properly.

Congratulations! Enjoy your time in paradise!

Mr. Beanz said:
But the fun and accomplishment is riding "up" a summit. :huh:
I'm looking for pure fun on this trip. I accomplish enough things at home. But, usually I agree with your statement.

That sounds awesome, you're so lucky!

I've always wanted to visit an island like Hawaii. I've only seen photos and videos of the place, and it looks incredibly amazing. Perhaps, I'll get lucky and visit Hawaii sometime in the future.

I believe there are plenty of nice bike paths to explore Hawaii. I hope you enjoyed your stay considering this is a pretty dated thread.

Oh man no advice sadly but you lucky guy!

Hope you two have a lovely time there and I'm hoping to go there myself one day, would love to hear about your trip when you get back!

Gonna have a little read of the whole thread now.

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I thought it would most apply in here. My wife and I will be leaving for a 2 week vacation in Hawaii this coming Friday. We'll be spending 6 days in Oahu and 8 days in Maui. I'm looking for advice on what roads to ride, fun rides to take, where to rent a road bike, etc. This is my first trip to Hawaii and all tips are appreciated. One trip I plan to take in Maui is the down hill ride from Haleakala summit.

I've never been to Oahu but have ridden on Maui a lot. I usually rent from West Maui Bicycles. You can reserve online. When I was there in January, I rented a Specialized Roubaix with disc brakes. It was really nice. The two best rides are climbing Haleakala and the west end loop. Haleakala is a 30 mile climb up to 10,000 ft. It's awesome but you'll need money to enter the gate near the top (it's a national park). The west end loop is up and down climbing but nothing real bad except for "The Wall". It's about .4 miles long and 18%+ grade. The views on this route are amazing and you'll wanna stop to take pics a lot. Also, there's a very small village you'll pass through. There's a lady with a small stand on the side of the road. Stop there! It's the best banana bread you will ever eat

Wow...this thread came back from the dead. Since it did I will share how it went. Maui is by far the best vacation spot I have ever been to! The scenery is amazing everywhere you go with lots of fun exploring to be had. I rented a cheap Trek road bike from South Maui Cycles. I liked the bike shop so much I bought a jersey from them to represent when I ride in Wisconsin. We stayed in a condo in Kihei. Every morning I went on a 30 - 40 mile ride exploring local roads. This was a great compromise, because my wife had her time while I had mine. Sometimes I would be riding right by the ocean, while other times the mountains were in view. One of the best rides I took was going to Big Beach in Makena State Park. I stopped and took pictures of beaches along the way. I had fresh mango from a local farmer. It was so peaceful riding in Maui. The next time I go I plan to do the West Maui loop and climb to Haleakala. If you can get to Maui please do so. We spent 4 days in Oahu to start our trip, and that wasn't for me. The weather was beautiful, but Oahu is as touristy as you would expect. I'm not a city person, and Oahu is mostly city unless you go across to the other side of the island. Maui is my pace. You can do as much or as little as you want. The towns are all smaller in size and unique in their own way. I can't wait until I get back. I'm glad we spent 8 days in Maui.

BOTs back from the dead...

I've been getting reports over the Winter and Spring from a friend that's TDY in paradise right now. He tells me the cycling is most definitely NOT paradise.

His info:
1. The roads suck and the goobermint road repair crews are slow, lazy and incompetent. OK, how is that different from Ohio? He's shopping for a bike with wider tires in order to handle the holes, ruts, bumps and general craptasticness of his AO.

2. The locals are racist and raging drivers. This, coming from a guy that survived cycling in both Korea and Okinawa. He claims the drivers are unpredictable and deadly serious about killing him.