General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Trip to the lakes, a report :-)

Started by mr p · · Last activity · 4 posts · 324 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 October 2007
Last activity
9 October 2007
Original author
mr p
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
324
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've just got back from a week in the Lakes ( my first visit since I
    was a child! ) I hope there must be some people here who will be
    interested in reading my report !

    I stayed in an extreemly nice (although not cheap ! ) cottage,
    complete with internet access! I did the following walks:

    Saturday 29/09/07

    Langdale Pikes from Langdale:

    This was very busy but I managed to get free parking in Chappel Stile.
    I was trying to follow a pre-planned route downloaded from a web site.
    After some considerable confusion with the directions I gave up ! In
    the end I resorted to following the OS map (and all the other people).
    A clear day and a very enjoyable start to the Holiday.

    Sun

    Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike ( From Honister Pass)

    This was another great walk, I noticed a couple wild camping by the
    side of the car park near the slate mine. It was well worth some extra
    miles walk along the pass to avoid the parking fee again ! I was
    looking out to see the Blacksail YHA from the tops near Haystacks but
    I guess you can't see it from there ? The weather was great all day !
    I can not see really why this was Wainwights favourite ( If I am
    honest ) I met a rather large party of walkers who were coming down of
    Haystacks, I wander why people must walk in such large groups, it
    seems they would be better off in the Pub !

    Mon

    Lingmell, Sca Fell Pike and Sca Fell from Wastwater.

    This was definiatly my favourite walk of the week. Driving from my
    cottage near Outgate to Wastwater was so scenic and driving right
    along side the lake itself was simply amazing. The initial ascent was
    brutal but uneventful ! I had a moment of disbelief, until I
    eventually saw another walker coming down the Corridor route between
    Sca Fell and Scafell pike.. ( where the hell is the tarn meant to be
    then!) I had walked past the cairn twice not wanting to go off on a
    rock climbing expedition. The route down the other side of Sca Fell
    was rather steep, and I met a couple of walkers on there way up !
    ( this was only 2 hours before sun set) they seemed quite happy with
    the prospect though ! I was spoiled again with great weather all day
    and there were a fair few people about. Most people seemed to be
    coming from other routes though, Wastewater is not exactly easy to
    find with out a GPS ( or despite a GPS in my case !) I was impressed
    with the accuracy of the Altimeter on my Garmin 60 CS, it was only
    20ft or so out at the summits, I never expected it to be so
    accurate !

    Tue

    Having read about the route on this group I did the 'Fairfield
    Horseshoe' Today was the day that I got my first experince navigating
    in hill mist ! I managed to find the path around to the East having
    arrived at the shelter on Fairfied despite having walked right past
    it. I had almost set off going towards Patterdale ! I arrived back
    at Ambleside in beautiful Sunshine and got some smashing photos too!
    I realised how one could get into trouble in the hill fog today !
    Sometimes it seems to me that if you are not on huge 'gaping gash' of
    a path you are going the wrong way when in the Lakes !

    Wed.

    Crinkle Crags and Bowfell from Langdale

    I parked on a road which added some miles to this route. I was a a
    little aprehensive to start this one, due to the weather forcast. I
    managed to find the path NE along the ridges of the Crinkles, however
    I must admit I was rather glad to have my GPS reciever with me. In
    virtually zero visibilty it was really quite scary. This was the
    quietest day I had on the hills, I think I only saw about 5 other
    walkers up there. I got to try out my New Berghause Paclite trousers
    in the torrential rain that arrived towards the end of the day. I was
    VERY impressed with them, however they are definiatly not as tough as
    my trusty old Post Office issued Goretex trousers. They are already
    ripped! I happily wandered off on the wrong path at Angle tarn,
    (following the arrow on the GPS !) It was about when the weather got
    *really* bad ( even heavier fog, gales and pouring rain !) that I
    realised that the only sensible way down was to go back to the tarn
    and find the correct path. It was dark by the time I got back to my
    car. My headtorch got it's first real use and the 'emergency'
    chocolate bar saw the light of day !

    Thur

    Helvellyn from Thirlmere

    After the previous days shinanigans I was a little aprehensive,
    however the route card I had said this was only a 5 hour walk and it
    seemed simple enough to navigate. I went from Thirlmire, note that the
    Car park by the church is now a 'pay and display', whereas there is
    another un-official looking car park 100M along the road, I did not
    like the look of the free one really, or the thought of walking along
    the busy road. I made it to the summit with very little visibility and
    was more than a little disapointed not to have seen any of the views.
    I kept well to the west on the summit thinking I might end up going
    off down Striding Edge ! It was a little strange to see people
    wandering about in shorts up there considering, On the way back down
    (800M according to the GPS ) the cloud, wind and rain all vanished so
    I had to go back up to the summit, and was rewarded with the best
    visibilty I had all week, over the tarn. It was amazing the
    difference an hour had made to the weather ! I decended via the same
    route I had come up, which was a little tougher on the knees but a lot
    more interesting than the walk through the trees I had intended.

    In summary I have had a simply fantastic week, I think I might try
    camping next time I go on a Walking holiday, if only to save some
    money but the cottage was sublime. Having had some experience now at
    hill walking and knowing what kit to take etc. I could get away with
    taking a lot less I think, I have over 1000 pictures if any one wants
    to have a look. I can post the url. I have not got around to sorting
    them all out yet !

    Simon

  2. mr p said:


    After some considerable confusion with the directions I gave up ! In
    the end I resorted to following the OS map...

    What a good idea.

    Quoted message said:

    (and all the other people).

    Dodgy!

    Quoted message said:

    I can not see really why this was Wainwights favourite ( If I am
    honest )...

    You won't until you spend some time exploring it thoroughly at a leisurely pace.

    Quoted message said:

    I met a rather large party of walkers who were coming down of
    Haystacks, I wander why people must walk in such large groups, it
    seems they would be better off in the Pub !

    There are often so many people coming down from there that you can't tell whether they are in a
    group or not!.

    Quoted message said:

    I had a moment of disbelief...

    Reading this, I'm having several...

    Quoted message said:

    ... until I eventually saw another walker coming down the Corridor route between
    Sca Fell and Scafell pike..

    ???

    Quoted message said:

    ... ( where the hell is the tarn meant to bethen!) ...

    You mean Foxes Tarn?

    Quoted message said:

    ...Wastewater is not exactly easy to find with out a GPS ( or despite a GPS in my case !) ...

    Some might recall a saying involving a barn door...

    Quoted message said:


    In summary I have had a simply fantastic week...

    Good for you, that's the way to learn, and an entertaining report.

    -- GeoffC

    Take out TheEnemy to email me

    Website: http://v-g.me.uk
    Blog: http://v-g.me.uk/blog/

  3. On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 06:27:25 -0700, mr p <[email hidden]> wrote:

    ... >
    ... >
    ... >I've just got back from a week in the Lakes
    < snip>

    I can post the url. I have not got around to sorting
    ... >them all out yet !
    ... >
    ... >Simon

    </snip>

    Nice reading .... thanx

    Mike P

  4. Sounds like you had a good week - picked up some of the classic
    routes.

    Phil

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.