TRIPLE BYPASS Ride in Colorado

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Glenn Katon, May 22, 2003.

  1. Glenn Katon

    Glenn Katon Guest

    If you have ever done the Triple Bypass ride, can you tell me what the descents are like?
    Switchbacks? Steep? Rolling?

    I want to bring my lightweight wheels but they are tubulars so I won't ride them if I'm going to
    have to ride the brakes for long stretches.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    ride em. they will work fine.

    "Glenn Katon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you have ever done the Triple Bypass ride, can you tell me what the descents are like?
    > Switchbacks? Steep? Rolling?
    >
    > I want to bring my lightweight wheels but they are tubulars so I won't ride them if I'm going to
    > have to ride the brakes for long stretches.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. On 5/22/03 3:20 PM, in article [email protected], "JTN"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ride em. they will work fine.
    >
    > "Glenn Katon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> If you have ever done the Triple Bypass ride, can you tell me what the descents are like?
    >> Switchbacks? Steep? Rolling?
    >>
    >> I want to bring my lightweight wheels but they are tubulars so I won't ride them if I'm going to
    >> have to ride the brakes for long stretches.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    I am still working on trying to get the "triple bypass" so I can do this ride (I bet Henry is
    jealous!!)

    Going to McDonalds 5 times a day is helping!!

  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    [email protected] (Glenn Katon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > If you have ever done the Triple Bypass ride, can you tell me what the descents are like?
    > Switchbacks? Steep? Rolling?
    >
    > I want to bring my lightweight wheels but they are tubulars so I won't ride them if I'm going to
    > have to ride the brakes for long stretches.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You won't use the breaks hardly at all on the first 2 decents. Squaw is pretty straight, and not
    that steep. A couple switchbacks about half way down, but nothing much. A couple switchbacks near
    the top of Loveland pass coming down, but again, not much too worry about. The only time you'll
    really have to break much is coming off of Vail pass when you're traveling down the bike path for
    the first 2 or 3 miles. This all of course is assuming your not stuck behind a large group doing
    their version of a rolling roadblock.

    Bring the wheels. It's a great ride and the scenary is tough to beat. Great party at the end too.

    Eric

  5. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    A half tube of glue per wheel is what you need for mtwheels. Do that and you'll be fine. Less than
    that, watch out! Not only heat but plain old twisting torque from dropping into steep, hard drops
    can wrench a toob off of a rim.

    I had a wonderful fall off a bridge, thru fence into a ravine courtesy of that mode once! What fun!

    At the next day's race I was on sidelines in bandages and someone rudely pushed into me,
    yuppy-style, trying to get a better view of the race without looking at me or saying excuse me and
    they ended up with blood and ooze on half their tennis whites just from that one bump! I didn't even
    say Ow. That was funny.

    Half tube per rim!

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****

  6. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:
    > A half tube of glue per wheel is what you need for mtwheels. Do that and you'll be fine. Less than
    > that, watch out! Not only heat but plain old twisting torque from dropping into steep, hard drops
    > can wrench a toob off of a rim.

    The OP is clearly concerned about heat build up. If heat is affecting the glue, why do you think
    that quantity of glue is an issue? If a properly glued tire can handle the forces of a criterium
    corner at the limits of traction, why do you think that "plain old twisting torque from dropping
    into steep, hard drops can wrench a toob off of a rim"? Wouldn't the forces involved be the same?

    > I had a wonderful fall off a bridge, thru fence into a ravine courtesy of that mode once!
    > What fun!

    How many decades did it take you to learn how to glue a tubular properly?

    For the OP: I've been racing in CO on tubulars for twenty years and have never had any problems with
    heat build up. The passes just aren't all that steep and twisty. If you are in a situation where
    heating is an issue, then it would depend on the glue being used. I believe that 3M Fastack would be
    less affected by heat that Clement Red for example.

    Bret

  7. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Bret Wade wrote:

    > Jeff Potter wrote:
    > > A half tube of glue per wheel is what you need for mtwheels. Do that and you'll be fine. Less
    > > than that, watch out! Not only heat but plain old twisting torque from dropping into steep, hard
    > > drops can wrench a toob off of a rim.
    >
    > The OP is clearly concerned about heat build up. If heat is affecting the glue, why do you think
    > that quantity of glue is an issue? If a

    More glue takes longer to heat up.

    > properly glued tire can handle the forces of a criterium corner at the limits of traction, why do
    > you think that "plain old twisting torque from dropping into steep, hard drops can wrench a toob
    > off of a rim"? Wouldn't the forces involved be the same?

    Much sharper forces.

    > > I had a wonderful fall off a bridge, thru fence into a ravine courtesy of that mode once!
    > > What fun!
    >
    > How many decades did it take you to learn how to glue a tubular properly?

    I learned early on. Ass.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****