Triple Campy Chorus

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Captain Dondo, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. I've got an older (1999?) Campy Chorus 9 speed. The gearing now is 52/39 front, 12-23 rear. I'm
    getting talking into Grandfather this fall - 100 miles of climing, some severe (10% or worse).

    As my knees no longer can withstand that kind of abuse, I'm thinking of a triple front with suitable
    rear. Is it possible? How much of the existing drivetrain would have to be swapped? I'm hoping that
    only the rear derailleur would have be changed to a long cage if Campy makes one, and that the front
    shifter can handle a triple crank.

    Any ideas?

    -Dondo

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Captain Dondo
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've got an older (1999?) Campy Chorus 9 speed. The gearing now is 52/39 front, 12-23 rear. I'm
    >getting talking into Grandfather this fall - 100 miles of climing, some severe (10% or worse).
    >
    >As my knees no longer can withstand that kind of abuse, I'm thinking of a triple front with
    >suitable rear. Is it possible? How much of the existing drivetrain would have to be swapped? I'm
    >hoping that only the rear derailleur would have be changed to a long cage if Campy makes one, and
    >that the front shifter can handle a triple crank.

    Best to replace both derailleurs, crank, and bottom bracket. You may be able to get away with
    keeping the rear derailleur if you don't change the cassette but it's going to be marginal. The
    front derailleur is not expensive and I recommend replacing it if you want good shifting. Remember
    that all Campy derailleurs and cranks are compatible with your drivetrain, you do not need to get
    Chorus - it won't shift any better than Veloce. I would get the lower cost parts rather than
    skipping some pieces - it will work better that way.

    --Paul

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:22:03 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech you wrote:

    >I've got an older (1999?) Campy Chorus 9 speed. The gearing now is 52/39 front, 12-23 rear. I'm
    >getting talking into Grandfather this fall - 100 miles of climing, some severe (10% or worse).
    >
    >As my knees no longer can withstand that kind of abuse, I'm thinking of a triple front with
    >suitable rear. Is it possible? How much of the existing drivetrain would have to be swapped? I'm
    >hoping that only the rear derailleur would have be changed to a long cage if Campy makes one, and
    >that the front shifter can handle a triple crank.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    If you are planning on keeping the 12/23 cassette and getting a 30T granny ring you'll be spending a
    lot of money for little benefit. A
    13/28 9sp cassette is about $40 and would be the same as a 30/22. You'll need to make your chain
    longer. I've been a grandfather for 8 years already. One hundred miles is not far and short
    pitches of 10% aren't that torturous. Five to 6 miles of 6-8% will have you begging for lower
    gears quicker than 10%.

    "Stand up and push hard".

    <http://www.caltriplecrown.com/Fame.htm#PK

  4. On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:51:46 +0000, Paul Kopit wrote:

    > If you are planning on keeping the 12/23 cassette and getting a 30T granny ring you'll be spending
    > a lot of money for little benefit. A
    > 13/28 9sp cassette is about $40 and would be the same as a 30/22. You'll need to make your chain
    > longer. I've been a grandfather for 8 years already. One hundred miles is not far and short
    > pitches of 10% aren't that torturous. Five to 6 miles of 6-8% will have you begging for lower
    > gears quicker than 10%.
    >
    > "Stand up and push hard".
    >
    > <http://www.caltriplecrown.com/Fame.htm#PK>

    The idea for the gearing was a 28 low up front and maybe a 24 or even 28 rear.

    Grandfather Mountain is a 102 mile ride, something like 40 or 50 miles of climbing, and a total
    elevation gain of something like 6,000' (including some of the descents.)

    There are sustained climbs in excess of 10%; there's a 20 mile sustained climb halfway into the tide
    and a 10 mile sustained climb to the finish... It's the 90 miles of riding through rollers and then
    a 10 mile climb that get me... The last 1.5 miles climb 780 feet - that's about 11% grade. I've
    heard of place finishers getting off their bikes and running up that hill...

    -Dondo

  5. captain-<< I've got an older (1999?) Campy Chorus 9 speed. The gearing now is
    52/39 front, 12-23 rear. I'm getting talking into Grandfather this fall - 100 miles of climing, some
    severe (10% or worse).

    << As my knees no longer can withstand that kind of abuse, I'm thinking of a triple front with
    suitable rear. Is it possible?

    Sure, the minimum youi need is a new BB, triple crank, triple fder and midcage rear der-all
    Campagnolo. You can use Mirage/Veloce crank, AC-H BB, Veloce triple fder and rder if you don't want
    to spend a lot of $ or a Record triple crank, Chorus triple BB, Record triple fder and Chorus mid
    cage rder if you do. Centaur triple stuff is mid-point between these.

    << I'm hoping that only the rear derailleur would have be changed to a long cage if Campy makes one,
    and that the front shifter can handle a triple crank.

    Campagnolo makes three length rder cages and the left shifter is double and triple compatible.

    What you can also do is swap the freehub body for the shimano compatible one(if your rear hub has
    the aluminum axle), get a long cage Campagnolo rear der and then a shimano 12-34 or so, and keep the
    double crank-just did this on a Merlin with Campagnolo 9s.

    (53)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 04:40:03 -0400, "Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Grandfather Mountain is a 102 mile ride, something like 40 or 50 miles of climbing, and a total
    >elevation gain of something like 6,000' (including some of the descents.)
    >
    >There are sustained climbs in excess of 10%; there's a 20 mile sustained climb halfway into the
    >tide and a 10 mile sustained climb to the finish... It's the 90 miles of riding through rollers and
    >then a 10 mile climb that get me... The last 1.5 miles climb 780 feet - that's about 11% grade.
    >I've heard of place finishers getting off their bikes and running up that hill...

    6,000' in 100 miles is not more than average but not high. 10,000/100 is high. I'd have lots of
    difficulty with 1.5 mi. of 11% and would have to stop and rest a few times. I'd be using a 34x27.