Triple Derailier Question

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
This is a very basic question I should already know.
I was out on a run today on my triple and, to my surprise, the chain ended up coming off. But I'm now finding the chain won't slip from the medium to the smallest crank as it should. Looks like my front derailier has gone way out of line.
First thing I need to do is get the chain to slip from the medium crank ring to the smallest ring but I can't remember the easiest way to do this. I have a Scott Triple Sport which is a fairly sophisticated roadbike. There are the usual 2 screws on the front derailier so my guess is I have to adjust these but it's been so long that I forgot which screw does what. I use this bike very rarely but I've never adjusted triple crank gears before (apart from mountain bikes) Is there a difference?
A very simple reminder would be appreciated if anyone can help on this matter. I also find it odd my chain should have flown off the smallest ring in the first place.

I took the bike to work with me and spent some time puzzling over this problem. Don't know about anyone else, but I discovered my triple has a screw on the cable (by the shifter) for tightening or slackening. I started off fiddling with the 2 screws on the derailier but not a lot happened. Finally, I found that by screwing the derailier so it moves inwards, it helped to kick the chain over to the smallest ring. I adjusted the screws on the cable too.
What I don't know is which derailier screw does what specifically.

Carrera said:
I took the bike to work with me and spent some time puzzling over this problem. Don't know about anyone else, but I discovered my triple has a screw on the cable (by the shifter) for tightening or slackening. I started off fiddling with the 2 screws on the derailier but not a lot happened. Finally, I found that by screwing the derailier so it moves inwards, it helped to kick the chain over to the smallest ring. I adjusted the screws on the cable too.
What I don't know is which derailier screw does what specifically.

The Parktool instructions are the way to go here. Just take some time to read and follow all the steps in order; don't rush or skip anything. Bet you'll have good results if you slow down and go step-by-step. Good luck.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml