triple derailleur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tburtim, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Tburtim

    Tburtim Guest

    I have a Sora rear deraileur and a 28t cog on cassette. The top pulley contacts the cassette when I
    shift to the 24t and the 28t cogs. I tried shortening the chain and maxed out the set screw on the
    derailleur tab. I really need a granny gear. The set up is on a 2001 Trek 1000 road bike with STI
    levers. Would it help if I went to a mountain bike derailleur like a XT or does one of the other
    road derailleur have more teeth capacity. My bike shop owner says that those extreme shifts ( little
    ring in front X big cog in back) just are not made to work??? Thanks for any advice

    Tags:

  2. TBurtim-<< I have a Sora rear deraileur and a 28t cog on cassette. The top pulley contacts the
    cassette when I shift to the 24t and the 28t cogs. I tried shortening the chain and maxed out the
    set screw on the derailleur tab.

    << Would it help if I went to a mountain bike derailleur like a XT or does one of the other road
    derailleur have more teeth capacity.

    Yep, that'll do it....a longer cage, with appropriate chain length will get the top pulley outta the
    way of the big cogs...

    << My bike shop owner says that those extreme shifts ( little ring in front X big cog in back) just
    are not made to work???

    Not true, a MTB rear der will allow it to work.

  3. TBurtim wrote:
    > I have a Sora rear deraileur and a 28t cog on cassette. The top pulley contacts the cassette when
    > I shift to the 24t and the 28t cogs. I tried shortening the chain and maxed out the set screw on
    > the derailleur tab. I really need a granny gear. The set up is on a 2001 Trek 1000 road bike with
    > STI levers. Would it help if I went to a mountain bike derailleur like a XT or does one of the
    > other road derailleur have more teeth capacity.

    That really _should_ work. I rarely recommend derailer replacement as a cure for shift problems, but
    in this case I would. The Sora is my least favorite Shimano rear derailer (though I'm quite partial
    to the rest of the Sora group.)

    Don't get hung up over the marketing terms "mountain" vs "road" derailers.

    20 years ago wide range derailers were called "touring" equipment, but then the marketeers
    determinet that "touring" had run its course as a marketing buzzword, and re-christened them
    "mountain" products.

    An XT would be an excellent choice for you, or, if money is a bit tight, an LX or Deore would also
    be just dandy.

    > My bike shop owner says that those extreme shifts ( little ring in front X big cog in back) just
    > are not made to work???

    Your bike-shop owner is replete with used food, if he or she really said that!

    Sheldon "Putting It Delicately" Brown
    | This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons | exclusively. Please do not discard
    | them after use, | send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable | sub-atomic resources
    | for future generations. |

  4. IMHO, Hyperglitch-er-glide _itself_ was designed to prevent customised gearing from working. It
    certainly doesn't shift any faster (than Unigiide) in my experience.

    But that's JMO.

  5. Capt-<< Your bike-shop owner is replete with used food, if he or she really said that!

    Have to remember this one-very good!!!