triple -> double

dannyyy

Nov 7, 2006
Is changing a crankset from a triple to a double as easy as switching out the crank and the BB?

Thanks

dannyyy said:
Is changing a crankset from a triple to a double as easy as switching out the crank and the BB?

Thanks

Search the forum Danny Boy.... Quick 411 is yes, though you can swap the RD to go all the way.

search button can be frustrating since a lot of times there are 100s of posts that come up.

I always thought (and I may be wrong, here) that your front/rear derailleurs had to be double/triple dedicated... so if you swich your crank you would need to switch your drivetrain.

astroluc said:
I always thought (and I may be wrong, here) that your front/rear derailleurs had to be double/triple dedicated... so if you swich your crank you would need to switch your drivetrain.
You *may* also need to switch your left (front) brifter, since some are specific to double or triple.

You'll need a triple FD, and a longer cage RD (if you don't already have one), to take up the extra chain slack.

HTH,

n

dannyyy said:
The correct answer is that it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want your bike to look like it came from the factory that way you'll have to change out both derailleurs and maybe the shifters too.

This topic comes up frequently enough that you might be able to find somebody in your area who wants to switch the other way. If you can swing that, it would be perfect.

dannyyy said:
It is as easy as removing the current driveside of the crankset, removing the granny, and reinstalling the driveside of the crankset. Adjust the inner stop on the front derailleur, and you are good-to-go!

When time & budget allow, you can change the derailleurs (I prefer having a long/-er cage regardless of the setup because it allows future flexibility in drivetrain components) if-and-when the desire/need arises.

alfeng said:
It is as easy as removing the current driveside of the crankset, removing the granny, and reinstalling the driveside of the crankset. Adjust the inner stop on the front derailleur, and you are good-to-go!

When time & budget allow, you can change the derailleurs (I prefer having a long/-er cage regardless of the setup because it allows future flexibility in drivetrain components) if-and-when the desire/need arises.
I did this. It works fine. I still want to replace that big-old 42 with a 39.
With the wider BB needed for a triple, if the chain comes off on the inside it may get caught by the 'nubs' for the granny gear bolts, but that's not a big deal.
I still may get a double deraileur, but I'll stay with the triple shifter.