Triple Front Der Rub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Barryg, May 10, 2003.

  1. Barryg

    Barryg Guest

    I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear (small chainring/large
    sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the limit. Would appreciate advice - is it possible to
    shim out the crank a couple of mm? Use a Campy FD (they seem to swing closer to the frame)? Live
    with the noise on steep climbs? . . .

    Thanks, Barry

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 10 May 2003 14:33:05 -0000, "BarryG" <bg at albany.net> wrote:

    >I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear (small chainring/large
    >sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the limit. Would appreciate advice - is it possible to
    >shim out the crank a couple of mm? Use a Campy FD (they seem to swing closer to the frame)? Live
    >with the noise on steep climbs? . . .
    >
    >Thanks, Barry

    Check to see what prevents the derailer from moving inward more. On some derailers there is a small
    bump in the casting which serves as a stop. I have had sucess using a dremel tool to grind this down
    and gain a littel more inward travel.

    Alternatively, you could get a shim for the BB.

    Bob

  3. Barry-<< I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear (small
    chainring/large sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the limit.

    Big seattube is my guess(34.9mm diameter?). Unfortunately, not a lot you can
    do. I wouldn't move the BB to the right, it will affect your chainline adversly and make your crank
    arms offcenter.

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Barry-<< I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear (small
    > chainring/large sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the limit.
    >
    > Big seattube is my guess(34.9mm diameter?). Unfortunately, not a lot you can
    > do. I wouldn't move the BB to the right, it will affect your chainline adversly and make your
    > crank arms offcenter.

    Yes, shimming it'll do the above. But, if it shifts and doesn't rub -- what's the problem? I'd try
    it -- assuming that he has enough threads to do so safely -- that'd be my worry.

    David

  5. BarryG wrote:

    > I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear (small
    > chainring/large sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the limit. Would appreciate advice - is
    > it possible to shim out the crank a couple of mm? Use a Campy FD (they seem to swing closer to the
    > frame)? Live with the noise on steep climbs? . . .
    >
    > Thanks, Barry

    You may be able to cure it by carefully bending the cage.

    Barry

  6. Jb Toth

    Jb Toth Guest

    > I'm running an Ultegra triple setup and getting chain rub in the lowest gear
    >> (small chainring/large sprocket) with the braze-on FD adjusted to the
    >limit.

    Barry,

    You might take a look at the tension on your front derailleur cable. If there isn't enough slack the
    "low end stop will not be allowed to adjust to its limit causing the problem you mentioned. Also
    check to make sure the inner cage plate is parallel to the chain.

    Jim Toth