Triple needs adjusting again?

vrkelley

Nov 1, 2003
I'm having trouble with my Shimano 105 Triple. I commute on alot of hills and last month the chain broke after 2100mi

I tried adjusting the cable and derailer and OK... screwed it up royally. So the LBS has been adjusting it every 100mi (twice). Now same thing AGAIN. They say the triple is not damaged.

What could be the problem?

===============================
Symptoms (before and after the chain broke)

Fails to downshift from middle to smallest ring no matter what gear the rear cassette is in. Upshifts slowly.

Any help would be appreciated!:confused:

Originally posted by vrkelley
I tried adjusting the cable and derailer and OK... screwed it up royally.

What could be the problem?

Fails to downshift from middle to smallest ring no matter what gear the rear cassette is in. Upshifts slowly.

If you're not sure what you're doing, use the "barrel" adjuster located in the cable or on the cable stop only. Don't touch the limit screws on the derailleur or adjust the derailleur position. The adjuster affects cable tension only and it is probably the only thing you should ever have to adjust. Tighting the cable means faster upshifts. Loosening means faster downshifts.

I would assume that there is something preventing the spring in the front derailleur from being able to take up the slack in the cable when you downshift. The LBS may have the cable tension set a bit loose to get it to downshift on the stand.

The roads I ride on and the conditions I ride in fill my components up with gunk to the point where I have to stop to clean and relube derailleurs and cables every 500-1000 miles. Use a mild degreaser like Simple Green and a narrow brush with long plastic bristles. Hose it off, wipe it down, and let it dry in the sun for an hour. Then apply lubricant sparingly to the pivot points and wipe off the excess. I personally use Dumonde Tech in a small syringe on my derailleurs and occasionally my cables too.

Don't forget the point where the cable passes beneath the bottom bracket. I don't apply lubricant there, but I find it does need to be cleaned up every once in a while.

Originally posted by vrkelley

I tried adjusting the cable and derailer and OK... screwed it up royally. So the LBS has been adjusting it every 100mi (twice). Now same thing AGAIN. They say the triple is not damaged.

===============================
Symptoms (before and after the chain broke)

Any help would be appreciated!:confused:
WWW.parktool.com has the complete drill.Start at the BEGINNING with the cable loose and be sure derailer height and alignment are right. If proper adjustment is not the fix,you may have a cable or casing issue. Once set up and after a possible adjutment for cable stretch,it should stay adjusted.

Try another dealer, I can´t do the set up myself on my triple ( mtb yes but road .. ) but every time Dani at the cycle shop ( Bici Club , Benidorm ) has rectified my screw-ups it´s worked fine , in fact between cable / cover changes it does not go out of adjustment after the initial cable strech has been taken care of .
Do take more care with your chain though , life of this component can be very short , less that 3000 km , and if it´s worn it can quickly destroy chainrings and sprokets to the point that they will not work correctly with a new chain , clean and lub frequently and get it checked ( or buy a chain wear guage ) frequently .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Try another dealer.
Do take more care with your chain though , life of this component can be very short , less that 3000 km , and if it´s worn it can quickly destroy chainrings and sprokets to the point that they will not work correctly with a new chain , clean and lub frequently and get it checked ( or buy a chain wear guage ) frequently .
Easier to learn to do it right yourself.Also easier to learn to measure a chain with a 12" ruler.