Triple Shifting on 10v Campy

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff S., Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    I've always been reluctant to use a triple on the road due to slow front shifting. But now I get to
    pull around my son, so I must do so! I used a triple (non Campy) in the mid 90s and really didn't
    like dropping into the granny ring; had to be done w/o any chain tension. Have things improved since
    that time? Is Campy that much better than others? I'll probably be running Centaur mechs, which will
    go with my Daytona-10 kit.

    I'm leaning towards the FSA Gossamer or Energy Triple crank in 172.5. Any word on whether Campy will
    ever make the Centaur triple in 172.5?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff-<< I used a triple (non Campy) in the mid 90s and really didn't like dropping into the granny
    ring; had to be done w/o any chain tension. Have things improved since that time? Is Campy that much
    better than others? I'll probably be running Centaur mechs, which will go with my Daytona-10 kit.

    Moving to any smaller ring is quickest with reduced or less pedal pressure or chain tension.

    << Any word on whether Campy will ever make the Centaur triple in 172.5?

    Not for 2003, if you wish a 172.5 get all Centaur and a Record triple and Chorus BB.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:58:10 -0400, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've always been reluctant to use a triple on the road due to slow front shifting. But now I get to
    >pull around my son, so I must do so! I used a triple (non Campy) in the mid 90s and really didn't
    >like dropping into the granny ring; had to be done w/o any chain tension. Have things improved
    >since that time? Is Campy that much better than others? I'll probably be running Centaur mechs,
    >which will go with my Daytona-10 kit.

    The front shifting on a modern triple is excellent. The ramps and pins in the rings and the
    derailleur designs have improved. I use a Campy system on my tandem and it works fine. But, I still
    don't like triples.

    Of late, I'm partial to 110 bolt pattern doubles. If you ran the
    13/29 x 10 sp cassette, the 34/29 would be the same as a 30/25. You can use a regular Centaur rear
    derailleur with 30t capacity. On the high end, your 48/13 is about the same as a 52/14. When you
    aren't pulling around your son, a 12/25 works great. You can also use any Shimano 9sp cassette
    with your 10 sp shifters.