triple to double and gear development

mastiff

Jun 13, 2010
Hi,
I wanted to get advice on changing from a triple 52/39/30 with 10 speed cassette 12-25 with 650c wheels to a double 50/34 10 speed cassette 11-28 with 700c wheels. I use my 30/25 often on the hills where I live. Therefore, I am concerned that I may not be able handle losing that 10% or so when I make the change. I think that it will be a challenge and only make me a stonger rider but I am a little nervous that I will struggle. Any thoughts or advice?
thanks
carla

30/25=30.72 gear inches. 34/28=31.1 gear inches. The difference is only .38 gear-inches. No, you won't struggle, at least not enough to notice.

Thanks for the repy. I came up with different calculations. (Large ring/small ring) X wheel size of 26 and 27. Am I calulating it right? At what change in gear inch will I notice a difference?

thanks
Carla

A little more complex than using "26 and 27" if you want to be exact. (650 isn't 26")

Use Sheldon's calculator http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ for a clearer picture of tire-on-ground results. If you're well versed on a particular route, you'll probably notice some difference as you experiment with new ratios to find what is most effective.

A 1-2 gear inch idfference is not likely to shut you down on any inclines that you were previously capable of climbing, unless you were at your breaking point. If you could climb them seated, you might have to rise out of the saddle until you reacclimate to your new lowest gear.