Triple to Double BB Difference?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Kopit, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I have some 110/74 bolt triple cranks and want to run only the 2 outer rings and no inner ring.

    How many mm should the bb spindle be shorter in order to get the chainline proper for use as a
    double? I'm guessing 3 mm per side or 6
    mm. total, but I'm uncertain and I'm sure someone knows.

    It seems to be less costly to get 110/74 triples than a 110 bolt double.

    Tags:

  2. paul-<< I have some 110/74 bolt triple cranks and want to run only the 2 outer rings and no
    inner ring.

    << How many mm should the bb spindle be shorter in order to get the chainline proper for use
    as a double?

    Really depends on the crank but do you still have 'studs' on the crank for the small ring? may not
    be able to shorten the BB much..otherwise these will hit the chainstay.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 11 Apr 2003 13:31:24 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >Really depends on the crank but do you still have 'studs' on the crank for the small ring? may not
    >be able to shorten the BB much..otherwise these will hit the chainstay.

    I checked. There always has to be room for the small chainring which is closer to the chainstay. I
    would guess there is always a few mm at the studs.