Triple to Double Swap

Eric Paulson

Feb 12, 2005
Hi everyone! I'm new here and from NY.

I used to read the usenet forums a few years ago, and gathered much useful information that I used to purchase my first road bike about 6 years ago.

I am a fair weather fitness rider. Moderately hilly terrain. I like to get in at least 100 miles per week when the weather is nice.

I have a Specialized Allez Sport with Ultegra components.

The bike currently has a triple chainring with a 12/25 cassette.

I wish to change this set up to a double chainring because I have no need for the granny, and I am vain.

As many people as I have asked, I have gotten as many asnwers as to what I need to do this.

I have a longreach derailuer. I believe that should be changed to a standard or short reach.

I have been told that the front derailuer needs to be swapped out as well as the shifter. I have also been told that all I really need to do is adjust the low limit screw and that makes sense to me.

I have been told that I will not be able to use the current bottom bracket with a double chainring.

I would like to do this right, but I am not about to purchase an entire groupo to accomplish this. I'd rather save a couple more beans and spring for a new bike next in the future.

What's your advice on this??

Thanks so much,
Eric

Eric Paulson said:
Hi everyone! I'm new here and from NY.

I used to read the usenet forums a few years ago, and gathered much useful information that I used to purchase my first road bike about 6 years ago.

I am a fair weather fitness rider. Moderately hilly terrain. I like to get in at least 100 miles per week when the weather is nice.

I have a Specialized Allez Sport with Ultegra components.

The bike currently has a triple chainring with a 12/25 cassette.

I wish to change this set up to a double chainring because I have no need for the granny, and I am vain.

As many people as I have asked, I have gotten as many asnwers as to what I need to do this.

I have a longreach derailuer. I believe that should be changed to a standard or short reach.

I have been told that the front derailuer needs to be swapped out as well as the shifter. I have also been told that all I really need to do is adjust the low limit screw and that makes sense to me.

I have been told that I will not be able to use the current bottom bracket with a double chainring.

I would like to do this right, but I am not about to purchase an entire groupo to accomplish this. I'd rather save a couple more beans and spring for a new bike next in the future.

What's your advice on this??

Thanks so much,
Eric
you got alot of bad advice. Your shifter will shift a double or triple. Both your derailers will work with a double. A double front will work better. That long cage hanging out in the back won't do anything for your vanity tho. You can remove the granny ring from your crank and swap out the 118 BB for one with a 109.5 spindle. ...To make it exactly like a factory job you would need crank, BB, front and rear derailers....The cheap sheot way is to toss the grany ring, switch the middle ring to a 39 and readjust the limit screws....Otherwise, loose the vanity act and save even more.

boudreaux said:
you got alot of bad advice. Your shifter will shift a double or triple. Both your derailers will work with a double. A double front will work better. That long cage hanging out in the back won't do anything for your vanity tho. You can remove the granny ring from your crank and swap out the 118 BB for one with a 109.5 spindle. ...To make it exactly like a factory job you would need crank, BB, front and rear derailers....The cheap sheot way is to toss the grany ring, switch the middle ring to a 39 and readjust the limit screws....Otherwise, loose the vanity act and save even more.
thanks boudreaux,

That's about what I was thinking. Not having to purchase new shifter(s) make it much easier to swallow.

Do you think I could put a 10 speed cassette on or will that complicate things again as in needing new shifters.

The vanity thing was toungue in cheek to a point. I love my bike, it has never given me any problems with probably 10k miles. It works as well as $5000.00 bike as far as I am concerned. My wife is riding a Ciocc with Ultegra as well (double). Sweet looking bike, more than twice what I paid for mine.

That said, I plan to update the bike in stages. Triple to double, then wheels and a carbon fork. The al. is a little harsh. I am only 150lbs or less, so I am not concerned with issues of frame flex or cracking as I have read about.

Thanks again for your help.

Eric

Eric Paulson said:
thanks boudreaux,

That's about what I was thinking. Not having to purchase new shifter(s) make it much easier to swallow.

Do you think I could put a 10 speed cassette on or will that complicate things again as in needing new shifters.

The vanity thing was toungue in cheek to a point. I love my bike, it has never given me any problems with probably 10k miles. It works as well as $5000.00 bike as far as I am concerned. My wife is riding a Ciocc with Ultegra as well (double). Sweet looking bike, more than twice what I paid for mine.

That said, I plan to update the bike in stages. Triple to double, then wheels and a carbon fork. The al. is a little harsh. I am only 150lbs or less, so I am not concerned with issues of frame flex or cracking as I have read about.

Thanks again for your help.

Eric
You need new shifters with a 10 speed.