Triple vs Compact crankset

philso said:
Andrepaul - if you need easier gearing than what you have now, you can:

- get a smaller ring up front
- get larger cogs in the rear

these are the usual choices. another option would be to get longer crank arms as long as you have enough clearance with the front tire
And that changes the gearing how?? :rolleyes: I run 170,172.5 and 175s and can absolutely tell you that if I need a 27 cog rather than a 23, going from 170 to 175 will not cut it. Now back to your beer and pizza sucking,and don't inhale too much of that carpet smoke... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
And that changes the gearing how?? :rolleyes: I run 170,172.5 and 175s and can absolutely tell you that if I need a 27 cog rather than a 23, going from 170 to 175 will not cut it. Now back to your beer and pizza sucking,and don't inhale too much of that carpet smoke... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Wow. I've read a few of your posts and you're quite an elitist piece of work. I don't suppose someone of your presumed intellect has considered posting minus the sarcasm and derision? I'm sure you have a lot of good, useful bicycle-related info to share but given your prediliction for negativity I'd prefer to not read what you have to write. I'm sure many others feel the same...

14max said:
Wow. I've read a few of your posts and you're quite an elitist piece of work. I don't suppose someone of your presumed intellect has considered posting minus the sarcasm and derision?
No, I don't suppose he would. Besides, that's half the fun. :D

14max said:
Wow. I've read a few of your posts and you're quite an elitist piece of work. I don't suppose someone of your presumed intellect has considered posting minus the sarcasm and derision? I'm sure you have a lot of good, useful bicycle-related info to share but given your prediliction for negativity I'd prefer to not read what you have to write. I'm sure many others feel the same...
Boudreaux doesn't usually berate the innocent, but rather the self-appointed experts who put out opinions that are incorrect (myself having been a deserving target of his derisiveness before). I agree with Dr. Morbius, that the sarcasm is part of the fun.

John M said:
Boudreaux doesn't usually berate the innocent, but rather the self-appointed experts who put out opinions that are incorrect (myself having been a deserving target of his derisiveness before). I agree with Dr. Morbius, that the sarcasm is part of the fun.
Yeah, and admission is free,and if ya don't like the show,use the OFF button. ;) :)

14max said:
You must be a muppet.... Being a free country you have the right to read or not read what you want. You'll miss alot of good stuff tho. :p

boudreaux said:
You must be a muppet.... Being a free country you have the right to read or not read what you want. You'll miss alot of good stuff tho. :p
I was just messin' :D

boudreaux said:
boudreaux - maybe if you'd bothered to read my post instead of having your mom wipe your snotty nose, you might of noticed that i suggested changing to a smaller chainring and/or larger cogs as the normal way to go.

since you were obviously absent on the day your jr. highschool science teacher talked about mechanical (meh-kan-i-cal) advantage, allow me to help you out here. changing from a 170 to a 175 crank arm will make absolutely no difference in your gear inches. however, a magical thing happens. at the expense of covering a little more distance, the same amount of work (a physics term) can be accomplished with less force.

isn't that wonderful?

it's call "mechanical advantage", and all you have to do is increase the length of the lever(the crank arm in this case). now, if you can still follow this, as this applies to bicycling, the "work" means how much distance you will move forward. as i said before, this will remain the same. the miracle of science only goes so far. but,(and here's the part that will make Andrepaul's knees happy) Andrepaul won't have to push down on the pedals as hard, and he can cover the exact same amount of ground to boot!
still with me ?
Andrepaul's kneesare happy because of something a guy called Newton found out. you've probably heard of him. you know, the guy who had an apple fall on his noggin and got famous because of it. in simple words, he figured that if you push on something, it's the same as having that something push back at you. i know it boggles the mind to figure out how something that's not alive can push back at you, but maybe you could go with me on this one or check a science book out at the library or something. anyway, that something in this case is the pedal. it won't be pushing back at Andrepaul's knees so much. that'll help him out on the knee pain thing.

and there you have it.

by the way boudreaux, i know there are many on this board who wish you would change your uncivil ways, but i say, "hoorah for you". i wouldn't have you change even an iota (opps, sorry for that one. looks like a little word, but turns out to be a big one. it means something like "the tiniest, little bit"). what would some of us do if we couldn't count on you rising to the bait. boudreaux baiting as an organised sport would dissappear, and we might be obliged to dust off our bikes and actually ride them!

and if i might be frank, i think you've been falling below the mark of late. you know, little things like ranting against people who quote specs and then doing the exact same thing mere minutes later, or like "if it's good enough for sheldon brown, it's good enough for me". we've come to expect so much more of you!

maybe a little more spinach and a little less beer, pizza and carpet smoke.

philso said:
have a little more backbone
Backbone? Get a hold of yourself. This is an internet forum and baiting is just part of the game sometimes. Get a thicker skin...

philso said:
boudreaux - maybe if you'd bothered to read my post instead of having your mom wipe your snotty nose, you might of noticed that i suggested changing to a smaller chainring and/or larger cogs as the normal way to go.

since you were obviously absent on the day your jr. highschool science teacher talked about mechanical (meh-kan-i-cal) advantage, allow me to help you out here. changing from a 170 to a 175 crank arm will make absolutely no difference in your gear inches. however, a magical thing happens. at the expense of covering a little more distance, the same amount of work (a physics term) can be accomplished with less force.

isn't that wonderful?

it's call "mechanical advantage", and all you have to do is increase the length of the lever(the crank arm in this case). now, if you can still follow this, as this applies to bicycling, the "work" means how much distance you will move forward. as i said before, this will remain the same. the miracle of science only goes so far. but,(and here's the part that will make Andrepaul's knees happy) Andrepaul won't have to push down on the pedals as hard, and he can cover the exact same amount of ground to boot!
still with me ?
Andrepaul's kneesare happy because of something a guy called Newton found out. you've probably heard of him. you know, the guy who had an apple fall on his noggin and got famous because of it. in simple words, he figured that if you push on something, it's the same as having that something push back at you. i know it boggles the mind to figure out how something that's not alive can push back at you, but maybe you could go with me on this one or check a science book out at the library or something. anyway, that something in this case is the pedal. it won't be pushing back at Andrepaul's knees so much. that'll help him out on the knee pain thing.

and there you have it.

by the way boudreaux, i know there are many on this board who wish you would change your uncivil ways, but i say, "hoorah for you". i wouldn't have you change even an iota (opps, sorry for that one. looks like a little word, but turns out to be a big one. it means something like "the tiniest, little bit"). what would some of us do if we couldn't count on you rising to the bait. boudreaux baiting as an organised sport would dissappear, and we might be obliged to dust off our bikes and actually ride them!

and if i might be frank, i think you've been falling below the mark of late. you know, little things like ranting against people who quote specs and then doing the exact same thing mere minutes later, or like "if it's good enough for sheldon brown, it's good enough for me". we've come to expect so much more of you!

maybe a little more spinach and a little less beer, pizza and carpet smoke.
Yeah, I know about physics....But with respect to longer cranks, if a rider is already using the best length for his/her size/leg length, a longer one will just screw them up. One does not just ramdomly/mindlessly change out crank lengths.But maybe the mindless part would apply in your case.. :rolleyes: ....As for mechaniccal advantage, sure a 12" metric cresent wrench will give me more grunt power over a 4,6 or 8", but if you think going from a 12" to a 12.25" (about 6mm),is going to make a real difference,you are pissing up the wrong rope and I have wasted alot of money on your lame advice.As for the Sheldon Brown reference, he is the acknowledged expet(not some self anointed pundit that is always wrong),and I have found no reason to argue with him.The reference saves alot of useless verbage,babble and blather, somethng that would serve you well....Go smoke some more carpet.

14max said:
Backbone? Get a hold of yourself. This is an internet forum and baiting is just part of the game sometimes. Get a thicker skin...
Cetainly one alternative for them that are unable to get more brain cells and deeper knowledge base. ;)

14max said:
14max - don't get me wrong. i'm all for baiting, but most people do it in good humor (this is where mr. bike wizard crosses the line). reading your first post, it doesn't sound like baiting at all, but an honest opinion and one to which many would concur. your reply sounded to me as though you were backing down after being called a muppet. there was no insult intended. maybe instead of "I'm sure many others feel the same...", a "LOL" or ;) would clue us in when you're poking fun.

boudreaux said:
Yeah, I know about physics....But with respect to longer cranks, if a rider is already using the best length for his/her size/leg length, a longer one will just screw them up. One does not just ramdomly/mindlessly change out crank lengths.But maybe the mindless part would apply in your case.. :rolleyes: ....As for mechaniccal advantage, sure a 12" metric cresent wrench will give me more grunt power over a 4,6 or 8", but if you think going from a 12" to a 12.25" (about 6mm),is going to make a real difference,you are pissing up the wrong rope and I have wasted alot of money on your lame advice.As for the Sheldon Brown reference, he is the acknowledged expet(not some self anointed pundit that is always wrong),and I have found no reason to argue with him.The reference saves alot of useless verbage,babble and blather, somethng that would serve you well....Go smoke some more carpet.
boudreaux - #1 - it would seem as though you plugged in different crank arm lengths on s.b.'s gear chart and started rubbing your hands together in glee when the same gear ratios popped up. your above sounds like a lame cover up.

#2 - having had knee surgery twice, i think i'm pretty well informed on what differences micro adjustments on crankarms, seat heights, and gear ratios can make. i'll stand on what i said.

#3 - while many of your opinions are on the mark; a) not everyone rides for the same reasons and in the same style as you, b) while not everyone is an elitist snob with a stable of high end bikes, it's not necessarily because they're all brain dead idiots, and c) like the rest of us mere mortals, you're just wrong at times (hard to digest as this must be to you).

#4 - get a dictionary or learn how to do a spell check. i mean, come on; potatoe, potificate, expet, verbage??? if you want to come across as a convincing elitist, you should at least dress the part.

but then, maybe too much carpet smoke has gummed up your high-end neural componentry.

philso said:
14max - don't get me wrong. i'm all for baiting, but most people do it in good humor (this is where mr. bike wizard crosses the line). reading your first post, it doesn't sound like baiting at all, but an honest opinion and one to which many would concur. your reply sounded to me as though you were backing down after being called a muppet. there was no insult intended. maybe instead of "I'm sure many others feel the same...", a "LOL" or ;) would clue us in when you're poking fun.
A "LOL" gives it away. But no harm no foul to anyone. I was just messing with boudreaux and only chimed in on the thread when I saw he was being himself...

philso said:
boudreaux - #1 - it would seem as though you plugged in different crank arm lengths on s.b.'s gear chart and started rubbing your hands together in glee when the same gear ratios popped up. your above sounds like a lame cover up.

#2 - having had knee surgery twice, i think i'm pretty well informed on what differences micro adjustments on crankarms, seat heights, and gear ratios can make. i'll stand on what i said.

#3 - while many of your opinions are on the mark; a) not everyone rides for the same reasons and in the same style as you, b) while not everyone is an elitist snob with a stable of high end bikes, it's not necessarily because they're all brain dead idiots, and c) like the rest of us mere mortals, you're just wrong at times (hard to digest as this must be to you).

#4 - get a dictionary or learn how to do a spell check. i mean, come on; potatoe, potificate, expet, verbage??? if you want to come across as a convincing elitist, you should at least dress the part.

but then, maybe too much carpet smoke has gummed up your high-end neural componentry.
Never plugged anything int S.B. gear inch chart,and BRAIN DEAD IDIOTS are easy to finger. Ther best comback is the lame 'get a dictionary and use spel check'. :rolleyes: :p

and "comeback" and most likely "into".

if you'd stop foaming at the mouth, you might not only be able to handle these 1st grade words, but think things through on your own without dissing people, too. :rolleyes:

philso said:
and "comeback" and most likely "into".

if you'd stop foaming at the mouth, you might not only be able to handle these 1st grade words, but think things through on your own without dissing people, too. :rolleyes:
LOL...Are you really that thick and have nothing better to do?? Playing with your head is so easy it's not wroth the effort. ;)