Triple vs Compact crankset

.....so a triple will give you a greater range, closer spacing and access to lower gears.
Which are all for the good if you have knee trouble. (IMAO)

Don Shipp said:
.....so a triple will give you a greater range, closer spacing and access to lower gears.
Which are all for the good if you have knee trouble. (IMAO)
Pretty basic isn't it, once you cut thru all the BS,blather and drivel.

boudreaux said:
Yeah, I know about physics....But with respect to longer cranks, if a rider is already using the best length for his/her size/leg length, a longer one will just screw them up. One does not just ramdomly/mindlessly change out crank lengths.But maybe the mindless part would apply in your case.. :rolleyes: ....As for mechaniccal advantage, sure a 12" metric cresent wrench will give me more grunt power over a 4,6 or 8", but if you think going from a 12" to a 12.25" (about 6mm),is going to make a real difference,you are pissing up the wrong rope and I have wasted alot of money on your lame advice.As for the Sheldon Brown reference, he is the acknowledged expet(not some self anointed pundit that is always wrong),and I have found no reason to argue with him.The reference saves alot of useless verbage,babble and blather, somethng that would serve you well....Go smoke some more carpet.

Have to agree with you boudreaux. Crank length is really a tool for one to acheive the most ergonomic pedal stroke. 1/4" of extra lever length on the crank arms isn't even going to be noticable for most people as a means of gaining any extra advantage on climbs. Stick with a triple if you want the most options and the lowest possible greaing.

Andre, If you havent got a granny gear you cant use it, therefore you get stronger... I live in Switzerland and I can manage the hills here as just a fun (5-8 hours a week) rider, I ride a compact and am very happy with the smooth shifting and lack of chain rub.

SteveJC said:
Andre, If you havent got a granny gear you cant use it, therefore you get stronger... I live in Switzerland and I can manage the hills here as just a fun (5-8 hours a week) rider, I ride a compact and am very happy with the smooth shifting and lack of chain rub.
Just more lame BS. I got stronger riding triples. Ya 'just say no'.Pretty simple concept or use the lo limit screw if you have no backbone.

boudreaux said:
LOL...Are you really that thick and have nothing better to do?? Playing with your head is so easy it's not wroth the effort. ;)
"...nothing better to do??" plenty, and it mostly gets done. but i try to schedule in some fun, if only to relieve the monotony of my all-but-pointless existence.

"Playing with your head is so easy..." but hey,man, look who's talking. "wroth"(?) the effort? not really, but fun in a sick kind of way. but seriously, it's not you personally. it's me. i've just got a thing about rude, in-your-face people. like rude drivers who cut you off or can't mangage to keep their cars out of a bike lane. if i figure there's any way in h_ll i can catch up with them a mile or two down the way, i'll tear off after them, just so i can pull up behind unseen and give a big whack on their car. i just can't resist being rude and in-your-face back.

it's a personal defect of mine. guess we'll just have to live with it.

but what the hay. it's all part of the show.

and as someone said, you're free to use the off button.

meehs said:
Have to agree with you boudreaux. Crank length is really a tool for one to acheive the most ergonomic pedal stroke. 1/4" of extra lever length on the crank arms isn't even going to be noticable for most people as a means of gaining any extra advantage on climbs. Stick with a triple if you want the most options and the lowest possible greaing.
1/4" of extra lever length on the crank arms isn't even going to be noticable for most people

absolutely right here meehs.

however... my beater hybrid came with 175's. i switched to 170's to gain some clearance after putting on some fenders. the first time i got on my bike after knee surgery, i said to myself,"no, i don't think i want to do this to my knees yet." since i had them, i pulled off the fenders and put the 175's back on. got on again and said,"well, maybe i can handle this."

was the difference real? all in my head? i'm sure someone will claim it was due to too much carpet smoke, but take it for what you will. for me it made the difference between riding and not riding. just thought i'd throw out a last ditch option for Andrepaul if his granny gear just wasn't doing it.

boudreaux said:
Just more lame BS. I got stronger riding triples. Ya 'just say no'.Pretty simple concept or use the lo limit screw if you have no backbone.
what a rude whiner. or maybe wiener. if you're so strong, how come i've never heard of you outside of this forum. shouldn't you have your own super hero comic book series? or perhaps (taking a guess from your name or nick) you're just one of those irritating french back-biters who couldn't cut the mustard in the tdf?

meehs said:
Amen, Meehs & Boud. Crank length is a fit issue. The folks who claim they adjust it for leverage variance are typically the same misguided lot that you find trying to adjust seat fore and aft position to compensate for handlebar reach. :cool:

supergrill said:
Amen, Meehs & Boud. Crank length is a fit issue. The folks who claim they adjust it for leverage variance are typically the same misguided lot that you find trying to adjust seat fore and aft position to compensate for handlebar reach. :cool:
trying to adjust seat fore and aft position to compensate for handlebar reach.

well. i gotta 'fess up and say you got me on that one supergrill. been known to do that instead of forking up the few measly bucks for a new stem.

philso said:
"...nothing better to do??" plenty, and it mostly gets done. but i try to schedule in some fun, if only to relieve the monotony of my all-but-pointless existence.

"Playing with your head is so easy..." but hey,man, look who's talking. "wroth"(?) the effort? not really, but fun in a sick kind of way. but seriously, it's not you personally. it's me. i've just got a thing about rude, in-your-face people. like rude drivers who cut you off or can't mangage to keep their cars out of a bike lane. if i figure there's any way in h_ll i can catch up with them a mile or two down the way, i'll tear off after them, just so i can pull up behind unseen and give a big whack on their car. i just can't resist being rude and in-your-face back.

What moron!... :rolleyes:

philso said:

Consider the rude in your face ***** or crack addict that decides to use a .44magnum for your " off " button. A real cure for many 'personal defects. :rolleyes:...Mabye a better bet to lighten up, switch to decaf and up the meds. ;)

boudreaux said:
Consider the rude in your face ***** or crack addict that decides to use a .44magnum for your " off " button. A real cure for many 'personal defects. :rolleyes:...Mabye a better bet to lighten up, switch to decaf and up the meds. ;)
hhellppp meeee, i'm mellltinngggg. i'm melting, melting..... :rolleyes:

was just messin' with ya, but obviously i've hit a sore spot somewhere. just thought that someone who can shovel out the sh_t so well would be able to take a little too.

guess i was wrong.

was hoping for a comeback on the super hero, tdf thing too.

i'm gonna sign off and give poor andrepaul's thread a much overdue rest. sure i'll be seeing you around though, so till then ...

take care little buddy!

philso said:
hhellppp meeee, i'm mellltinngggg. i'm melting, melting..... :rolleyes:

was just messin' with ya, but obviously i've hit a sore spot somewhere. just thought that someone who can shovel out the sh_t so well would be able to take a little too.

guess i was wrong.

was hoping for a comeback on the super hero, tdf thing too.

i'm gonna sign off and give poor andrepaul's thread a much overdue rest. sure i'll be seeing you around though, so till then ...

take care little buddy!
boudreaux takes sheet as well as anybody,but you are just too thick to get it. :rolleyes:

Guys:
This is a bike forum. There is no need for this interpersonal stuff. The forum is not a contest, and this is neither entertaining nor informative. Give your thoughts on the topic and move on.

Andrepaul said:
I'm currently building up a bike and would like to know if I should get a (Campy Chorus) triple crankset or go with the new compact crankset. I'm slightly out of cycling shape since I haven't cycled for a month or so. I sometimes have knee problems but only when I overdo the mileage on a ride..you know, instead of 35 miles as planned, I'll do 75 and live to regret it. So what are the positives and negatives excluding weight and cost?
Thanks
Andrepaul: Boudreax offers the most reasonable reply to your quest. A compact crank has been my answer to the hills surrounding the S.F. California area. However, your knee problem can be remedied by proper bike fitting. Look for a pro-fit from a reputable shop.

Racers and wanna be racers get doubles everyone else gets what feels good for there topography and cadence. If you live in Kansas get a double.