triple vs double chainrings

kstein84

Jul 8, 2004
So I am looking into buying a Specialized Dolce Elite. It is a triple... but I am looking into joining my school's cycling team. I was told that I would probably want a bike that is a double for this. However, I do not want to just limit myself to racing, especially since I've never done it before. Is there a significant difference?? I want a bike I can take out on bike routes and scenic tours as well as charity rides and races... plus using it to commute to work in nice weather. Should I be looking into something other than the Dolce Elite? I am very new to cycling and need help!

Thanks!

See http://cyclingforums.com/t57407.html or http://chainreaction.com/triples.htm for answers. All you have to do is search.

It really depends on how much hills/mountains you have. If you live South Dakota or Florida, chances are you won't need a triple. But if you live in France, around the Alps, a triple is almost mandatory for all but the very strong climbers. You will see that most if not all (professional) road racers use a double, since it is probably a little less weight and also they might not need it. But, it depends. Typically, cheaper bikes come with triples, while the higher end ones are double, so it is also an investment choice.

Given your location, I'd say go for the triple. The extra weight is minimal. You'll get some comments about it from others riding doubles, until you drop them on the hills.

If you get the double to begin with you'll never miss the triple ring. And you'll be stronger to boot.

You don't want it while racing. Being in the tiny ring up hills makes you very slow. And other racers will look at you as an easy mark. I know that when I was a beginning racer and we saw other gals with triples we set out to smoke 'em in the hills ASAP. Sorry, it's true!

If you need a little more help up the hills - get a bigger cog in the back. I live in a very hilly/mountainous area and I usually ride a 12-25 in the back. I'm thinking of switching back to a 11-23 soon as my fitness improves again.

Good luck! :D

so... I have been going back and forth over the double vs triple thing... I am supposed to go test ride the Dolce Elite again tomorrow (they had to order me a smaller size than the one they had in store, but I am under no obligation to buy). I am going to ask them about other bikes that might be similar, but with a double rather than a triple. I saw the Allez Elite Double (which is actually a little less money!) online... so I might look into that one. Hopefully I can find it... a lot of bike models I seem to want to look into and test ride are sold out everywhere!

My only concern is whether or not the Allez would fit better, seeing as how its not designed for women. I really don't want to pay extra for another saddle and such if I am already shelling out $1,000+ to begin with! I orginally wanted a new bike soon, since I am selling my old hybrid bike to a friend and don't know how long I can deal without riding... (as it is I haven't ridden in 2 weeks!!) but I want to make sure I am getting what I want/need! haha.

Thanks for all your advice! I am learning a lot about cycling in a very short time! :)

You'll want to make sure you get the bike that fits you best. You can always change the components later. Adjustments can help fit a bike to you, but you need to start with a frame that is as close as possible to fitting your dimensions. As for the double / triple issue, you also want a bike that you enjoy riding on your local roads. You don't want to end up thinking "I don't want to ride those hills again today" because you don't have the gearing you need. Triples have been used on the Tour de France by some riders, so don't let negative comments deter you if you think you could benefit from a triple.

really? which ones? I haven't seen any triples, but then again, I haven't been looking very closely. I'm guessing several/many sprinters use them among others.

keydates said:
really? which ones? I haven't seen any triples, but then again, I haven't been looking very closely. I'm guessing several/many sprinters use them among others.

Why would a sprinter use a triple?

I haven't seen any triples in any modern Tours de France. I'll have to go do some digging around to see if I find any pics...BBL

For the mountains. I'm assuming that they use a different bike for the mountains and the flats...might be wrong.

Some riders will use them onthe mountain stages. You won't see Lance using one, but slower riders who might be worried about missing the time cut off will do whatever is necessary to finish and stay in the race.

Hmmm. Couldn't find any evidence of triples in any Tour de France. I asked some old timers and they didn't think that they were ever used. I'm not saying that it couldn't possibly be true.

Remember - even the slowest mountain climber in the tour could kick our butts! :p And nowadays most of the sprinters just drop out in the mountains. :D

In your case - get what you want (of course). Triples are heavier and you may end up not wanting it if you get into racing. If you don't get a triple you'll never miss it. (Can't miss what you don't have). You can always get a big cog in the back to ease yourself into climbing.

Like I said I live in a very hilly, mountainous area and I used to be a sucky climber. Don't be afraid of it - just train and you'll improve, I promise! :D

just saw this forum - with regard to triple vs double - "better to be looking at it than looking for it" is a line given to me when i was considering the merits of a triple ring. i bought a new groupset (triple) for my bike as am heading to france to do 6 stages of this year's tour de france. don't use the granny ring at all but expect to need it badly in france. advise basically is to get the frame correct and see what you enjoy.

Sleektabby said:
Hmmm. Couldn't find any evidence of triples in any Tour de France. I asked some old timers and they didn't think that they were ever used. I'm not saying that it couldn't possibly be true.

Remember - even the slowest mountain climber in the tour could kick our butts! :p And nowadays most of the sprinters just drop out in the mountains. :D

In your case - get what you want (of course). Triples are heavier and you may end up not wanting it if you get into racing. If you don't get a triple you'll never miss it. (Can't miss what you don't have). You can always get a big cog in the back to ease yourself into climbing.

Like I said I live in a very hilly, mountainous area and I used to be a sucky climber. Don't be afraid of it - just train and you'll improve, I promise! :D